Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 AM

103 posts, read 463,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
1. When you say you have been researching it, do you have any intent on writing or publishing anything about this research and your experience visiting the site? You've clearly put a lot of work into it...

2. I don't know if you know this, but the American Queen has been resurrected after a long period of mothballing of all three riverboats. Now, Memphis is its headquarters and home port, and it will be berthed south of 5. Instead of the foot of Union, it will be at the new landing at the foot of Beale.
When I say "research", I mean I've been ripping off all of the info I've found from people who have done the actual research. There's been I think two books already written about J.B. and three documentaries. The British documentary that I linked to seems fairly legitimate given that they were able to interview his mother plus numerous other people who actually knew him. All of the information I've posted has been the product of the hard work of others - not me. I'm just a scrounge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
When I say "research", I mean I've been ripping off all of the info I've found from people who have done the actual research. There's been I think two books already written about J.B. and three documentaries. The British documentary that I linked to seems fairly legitimate given that they were able to interview his mother plus numerous other people who actually knew him. All of the information I've posted has been the product of the hard work of others - not me. I'm just a scrounge.
Cool. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 72,423 times
You might consider taking a taxi into Midtown. You'll find less touristy bars which means lower prices, better atmosphere, and less commerical/cover bands. Short list- P & H Cafe on Madison, Murphy's on Madison (both have live music, etc, so grab a Memphis Flyer (free) and read the very back cover page for even listings) Or head to Cooper Young - )several placing within walking distance of each other, but been some muggings/shootings/running overs lately so you might not want to walk alone, unarmed) Young Ave Deli, Celtic, etc are all there.

And dont mind the attitude on the cdat forums...last year I asked where a good spot to see the river flooding downtown was and was informed I was horrible for wanting to be a tourist of an area where people had lost their homes...LOL. There are no homes on Tom Lee park. If you'll tell me what kind of music/scene/food etc you like I'll try to tell you some specific places you'd enjoy. I guessed on Midtown suggestions based on Buckley. =)

Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noph View Post
You might consider taking a taxi into Midtown. You'll find less touristy bars which means lower prices, better atmosphere, and less commerical/cover bands. Short list- P & H Cafe on Madison, Murphy's on Madison (both have live music, etc, so grab a Memphis Flyer (free) and read the very back cover page for even listings) Or head to Cooper Young - )several placing within walking distance of each other, but been some muggings/shootings/running overs lately so you might not want to walk alone, unarmed) Young Ave Deli, Celtic, etc are all there.

And dont mind the attitude on the cdat forums...last year I asked where a good spot to see the river flooding downtown was and was informed I was horrible for wanting to be a tourist of an area where people had lost their homes...LOL. There are no homes on Tom Lee park. If you'll tell me what kind of music/scene/food etc you like I'll try to tell you some specific places you'd enjoy. I guessed on Midtown suggestions based on Buckley. =)
Thanks, Noph. I didn't mind the attitude as long as she understood that I give it right back.

(Plus the fact that she was completely wrong as to the location of where it happened (and I knew it) makes it that much more satisfying.)

I'll be staying at the Doubletree. I'll be working all day Monday (probably late) and most of Tuesday, with late Tuesday open, and leaving early on Wednesday.

Really looking forward to seeing Memphis for the first time.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 PM

26 posts, read 72,423 times
ha..then you will soon be looking forward to how fast you can leave Memphis!
If you only have one evening (bleh..and a tuesday at that) then I'd say take a cab to cooper young or to the p & h. cooper young is mostly restarants, not much shopping other than Goner records but if you are a music snob, you'll enjoy Goner. You might also like Otherlands Coffee bar just outside cooper young. The back patio area is usually in possession of at least one hipster or scenester that will know waaay more than me about what is happening and they usually LOVE new people there.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM

410 posts, read 802,492 times
Haters hate no matter what. Too bad they can't afford to leave since they hate Memphis so much.

Enjoy your stay. Plenty to see downtown. If you get to midtown cool. Cooper Young is good. But you'll be perfectly fine hanging in downtown.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:23 PM

FYI, apropos of nothing, but I was listening to some Mike Doughty (formerly of Soul Coughing) tonight when his song "Grey Ghost" came on. I've always loved this song off of "Haughty Melodic", but never listened to the lyrics. Then I heard this line:

"On the docks in Memphis, with the boombox,
Nodding out, singing
Don't fall through the stars"

I said, "Holy crap, he's talking about Jeff Buckley!"

Sure enough, apparently they were friends in NYC before J.B. came to Memphis. Apparently there's more about their friendship in M.D.'s book, "The Book of Drugs", which I'd been intending to read for a while. It just got pushed to the #1 position.

Here's a link with the full lyrics which are quite touching given what I now know there's about, and here's a
link to the actual song which I hope you'll enjoy.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Goner records has been ranked among the best record stores in the country by at least two sources (one of them Rolling Stone). Another popular record store is on Madison, I forgot its name, it used to be known for meditation tanks. If you do go to Cooper Young, I'd recommend Soul Fish Cafe, Alchemy, and Young Ave. Deli as places to go.

If you're downtown, there's too many places to name, but I always make a stop at Gus's Fried Chicken.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Goner records has been ranked among the best record stores in the country by at least two sources (one of them Rolling Stone). Another popular record store is on Madison, I forgot its name, it used to be known for meditation tanks. If you do go to Cooper Young, I'd recommend Soul Fish Cafe, Alchemy, and Young Ave. Deli as places to go.

If you're downtown, there's too many places to name, but I always make a stop at Gus's Fried Chicken.
Shrangri La records.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 AM

That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis