Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times

Advertisements

Last week, DH and I signed a lease in Evergreen on Overton Park Avenue. We're both pretty excited to be moving to the best part of Memphis (at least IMHO!), but I do have a few questions after driving around pretty extensively and scouring some Google maps... If anyone who has lived in Midtown or especially in the northern areas around Evergreen has any answers to these questions, I would appreciate it so much!

1. Groceries - there's a Kroger over on Cleveland that looks pretty old. Someone told me the one down on Union is kinda old, too. What are the best options for groceries in the area? I don't mind driving to Poplar Plaza, but was just curious if there's anything closer. I'm kind of surprised at the dearth of good grocers in the area. Fresh Market at Overton Square has a nice ring to it... I will definitely frequent the farmer's markets, too.

2. Internet options - I haven't had cable TV in years (and probably still won't), but what are recommendations for Internet providers? I have only managed to find out that AT&T's U-verse is in this area, but I'm not familiar with the service at all. Searched the forums for this one, but most of the information was pretty old. Also, has anyone turned on utilities (MLGW) recently? I'm going to try doing this while living 9 hours away, or else I'll have to drive in a couple days ahead of my moving truck. Any suggestions would be welcome.

3. Bookstores - I found a listing for Burke's - is it good? I'm looking for something along the lines of Union Avenue in Knoxville (Union Ave Books | Support The Union!) or Malaprop's in Asheville (Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe).

Thanks very much We have enjoyed every minute of being in Memphis so far. Everyone we have interacted with has been so friendly, and the city is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM

410 posts, read 802,861 times
Very nice area indeed. Spent the day at the park yesterday. it's such a great area.

You'll find grocery shopping sparse in your area. They are working on the Kroger at Poplar and Highland in the Poplar Plaza shopping center. When that's finished it should be nice. The Kroger on Union has always been small. It's been several different grocers and is a tough place to shop and get in and out of. I've never understood why there's no super grocery store in the midtown area.

U-verse is supposed to be very good. It's not available in my area or I would have it. I have the dreaded Comcast and I can not recommend it nor would I have it if U-verse came a knocking. Your other options are dish or direct. Many folks in my neighborhood have the little dish on the sides of their homes. I'm just not willing to do that so I wait.

Burkes is great. Please frequent it as often as you can. There's a Bookstar in Poplar Plaza that is worth a visit. it's owned by Barnes and Noble but has a vibe all of it's own.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Last week, DH and I signed a lease in Evergreen on Overton Park Avenue. We're both pretty excited to be moving to the best part of Memphis (at least IMHO!), but I do have a few questions after driving around pretty extensively and scouring some Google maps... If anyone who has lived in Midtown or especially in the northern areas around Evergreen has any answers to these questions, I would appreciate it so much!

1. Groceries - there's a Kroger over on Cleveland that looks pretty old. Someone told me the one down on Union is kinda old, too. What are the best options for groceries in the area? I don't mind driving to Poplar Plaza, but was just curious if there's anything closer. I'm kind of surprised at the dearth of good grocers in the area. Fresh Market at Overton Square has a nice ring to it... I will definitely frequent the farmer's markets, too.

2. Internet options - I haven't had cable TV in years (and probably still won't), but what are recommendations for Internet providers? I have only managed to find out that AT&T's U-verse is in this area, but I'm not familiar with the service at all. Searched the forums for this one, but most of the information was pretty old. Also, has anyone turned on utilities (MLGW) recently? I'm going to try doing this while living 9 hours away, or else I'll have to drive in a couple days ahead of my moving truck. Any suggestions would be welcome.

3. Bookstores - I found a listing for Burke's - is it good? I'm looking for something along the lines of Union Avenue in Knoxville (Union Ave Books | Support The Union!) or Malaprop's in Asheville (Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe).

Thanks very much We have enjoyed every minute of being in Memphis so far. Everyone we have interacted with has been so friendly, and the city is beautiful.

Hola,

The Cleveland Kroger is fine. My wife shops there. You do need to try the farmers market, it's an awesome place to go just to listen to some music if for nothing else. Also, you may want to check out the Trolley Stop Market. It is probably my favorite place to eat. The pizza is the sheet. But, they also have a small selection of some local groceries. They used to have a market inside, but they got so big they had to do away with it.

We have DirectTV and have never had any issues.

Burkes is the best place in Midtown. It's a cool little place.

And welcome to the neighborhood. I live just across Cleveland.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_home_town View Post
Very nice area indeed. Spent the day at the park yesterday. it's such a great area.

You'll find grocery shopping sparse in your area. They are working on the Kroger at Poplar and Highland in the Poplar Plaza shopping center. When that's finished it should be nice. The Kroger on Union has always been small. It's been several different grocers and is a tough place to shop and get in and out of. I've never understood why there's no super grocery store in the midtown area.

U-verse is supposed to be very good. It's not available in my area or I would have it. I have the dreaded Comcast and I can not recommend it nor would I have it if U-verse came a knocking. Your other options are dish or direct. Many folks in my neighborhood have the little dish on the sides of their homes. I'm just not willing to do that so I wait.

Burkes is great. Please frequent it as often as you can. There's a Bookstar in Poplar Plaza that is worth a visit. it's owned by Barnes and Noble but has a vibe all of it's own.

Lol. I guess you must be in from doing yard work too since we posted at the same time. You were at Overton yesterday? They have the drum circle on Sundays, if you didn't already know.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Bookstar? I read that they closed, not true?
If they are still open I recommend going there at least once. I'd almost make a trip back to Memphis for that. Love the bathrooms.
Check out the bookstore at the main library too. Not much atmosphere but sometimes there are nice bargains or interesting finds.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM

70 posts, read 204,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Bookstar? I read that they closed, not true?
If they are still open I recommend going there at least once. I'd almost make a trip back to Memphis for that. Love the bathrooms.
Check out the bookstore at the main library too. Not much atmosphere but sometimes there are nice bargains or interesting finds.
Bookstar are long gone I'm afraid. They've since turned the space into some asian (Japanese?) restaurant and a Gould's Spa/Salon.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Darn From what I could read online, Bookstar sounded like a fun space. Seems like B&N was going into the Highland Row development, but it has since stalled?

Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome. I am pretty happy about being a very short bike ride or walk over to Overton Park. What are the best farmers markets in the city? Also, are there any plans to extend the trolly system down towards Cooper? That, and a north/south route out in the midtown area would be pretty awesome.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Darn From what I could read online, Bookstar sounded like a fun space. Seems like B&N was going into the Highland Row development, but it has since stalled?

Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome. I am pretty happy about being a very short bike ride or walk over to Overton Park. What are the best farmers markets in the city? Also, are there any plans to extend the trolly system down towards Cooper? That, and a north/south route out in the midtown area would be pretty awesome.

I am not really sure about Highland, I don't ever make it outside the Parkways honestly. So can't help you there.

You could ride or walk to Overton where you will be living. The bike lanes are now open all over Midtown so getting around is easy. Cooper Young is an easy bike ride.

Downtown Farmers market is the best imo. About 100 vendors and 5000 people each week. Great music.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM

263 posts, read 614,218 times
Hi, jabogitlu.

I hope you enjoy Memphis as much as I did. I lived on Hawthorne for a few years; if I was still there, you and I would be neighbors! You've chosen a great street in a great neighborhood.

I have one suggestion for a supermarket. I shopped at the Schnuck's on Union for many years, but like everyone else, I found it to be an incredibly frustrating store. (If it still has the same layout, I doubt rebranding it 'Kroger' has done it any favors.)

I never liked the Kroger at Poplar/Cleveland, and I usually found the one at Poplar Plaza to be way too crowded.

So I ended up shopping at the Kroger on Summer Avenue rather frequently. It's no farther from your neighborhood than the Poplar Plaza Kroger, and the selection is a-ok. It was never crowded, and getting in and out was a breeze. So if the others around you aren't up to par, give the Summer Avenue one a shot. (And as a bonus, there's a Big Lots next door, so if you're in the mood for random and assorted junk you don't need at great prices, there you go.)

If you're a fan of local grocery stores, there's also Montesi's on Summer. It's overpriced and a little sleazy, but it is local.

Good luck with everything, and enjoy Midtown!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM

410 posts, read 802,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Lol. I guess you must be in from doing yard work too since we posted at the same time. You were at Overton yesterday? They have the drum circle on Sundays, if you didn't already know.
Lol, I did my yardwork Sunday morning about 9:30. We took our little dog down to the new dog park in Overton Park. Funny thing is most of the small dog were in with the all size dogs. But he had fun and we met some nice people. Then we ran over to the Qucik Stop at Parkway and Cooper, got a couple of sandwiches and headed back to the Park on Parkway next to the Pavillion and had a picnic. Fun day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis