Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM

469 posts, read 969,740 times

Advertisements

The problem is that if you ask locals anywhere about safer areas for parking your vehicle overnight most of them are going to point out suburban or maybe newer neighborhoods, because they don't usually perceive Downtown or high traffic tourist areas as being as secure, nor do many see the value that you, the visitor might place on the featured attraction in the entertainment district, so they will probably steer you to "safe" feeling places maybe close to good, but innocuous or chain dining options. I observed a motorbike group self parking their bikes up on the second level of the Peabody Hotel's secuity patrolled garage successfully, and I know several other hotels have self parking in nearby garages or even let you angle in to th front of the building near the front door where police roll by and maybe a valet or security person keep at least some sort of eye on them. Downtown would be my choice, however you have no gaurantees anywhere, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM

156 posts, read 377,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
You'll be fine staying with your bike downtown.
We appreciate your reply.

What sort of precautions are taken by the downtown motels/etc? I usually visualize an enclosed parking garage being 3 [plus] floors high with lots of dark corners and little or no security. Occasional hidden cameras do a nice job of filming thieves driving away and down the road.

Please advise. I would like to know more. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM

410 posts, read 802,551 times
I would recommend contacting the various downtown hotels and ask them their parking policies, whether they use a guard company, and or cameras. That should help you decide where to stay downtown.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post

What sort of precautions are taken by the downtown motels/etc? I usually visualize an enclosed parking garage being 3 [plus] floors high with lots of dark corners and little or no security. Occasional hidden cameras do a nice job of filming thieves driving away and down the road.

http://benchmarkhotelmemphis.com/

Per someone I know:

I got you covered. I spent the 4th of July there. The Benchmark on Union is an affordable place. Right across the street from the Peabody and next to the Memphis Redbirds' stadium. 1 big block or 2 small blocks from Beale. You can leave your bike at the hotel and just walk to Beale. Note:It isn't the fanciest place, but it is better than many places I've stayed on business. I'd give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. They have underground parking with only one way in and one way out. You can cable your bike to a support pillar if you use one of those rubber coated cables for a "dog run". That's what I did.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM

469 posts, read 969,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
http://benchmarkhotelmemphis.com/

Per someone I know:

I got you covered. I spent the 4th of July there. The Benchmark on Union is an affordable place. Right across the street from the Peabody and next to the Memphis Redbirds' stadium. 1 big block or 2 small blocks from Beale. You can leave your bike at the hotel and just walk to Beale. Note:It isn't the fanciest place, but it is better than many places I've stayed on business. I'd give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. They have underground parking with only one way in and one way out. You can cable your bike to a support pillar if you use one of those rubber coated cables for a "dog run". That's what I did.
How well can you trust that acquaintance, K.V.? That hotel has been closed for a couple of years, I'm afraid. Why don't we get some investors and bring it back for this kind of a niche market?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
How well can you trust that acquaintance, K.V.? That hotel has been closed for a couple of years, I'm afraid. Why don't we get some investors and bring it back for this kind of a niche market?
Hmm. Your right. I checked it the link to make sure and saw Downtown. Oh well. Maybe your right we could do it and the French Quarter Inn.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:

I'll check with some people here I used to ride with later this morning and see what they say.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 AM

209 posts, read 459,948 times
Quote:
My husband and I are planning a short trip to Memphis for Blues and BBQ. We will be riding our Harley-Davidson and traveling light. Before we choose a hotel I am hoping for information on where is a safe, clean, comfortable area for our "home base" while we visit. We have already excluded Downtown due to garage parking isn't ideal for a motorcycle.

To give you an idea of why I am asking for your help:
Recently we took a trip to another large city and made our plans and reservations from the different websites for that particular city. We chose a fairly new hotel in our usual price range ($80+ nightly) it looked great by the virtual tour so we booked it. We ended up in a neighborhood that had only a Wendy's restaurant and a convenient store for our choice of food, there were no pubs or shopping but most importantly we were told it was not safe to venture out after dark! We stayed one night and left first thing in the a.m.
No north cordova area hotels, especially near I-40. I recommend you hotel in 38120, 38018.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 AM

156 posts, read 377,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
Downtown would be my choice, however you have no gaurantees anywhere, right?
Good point, REPBOY

In the end, we'll try to get to Memphis early enough in the day to check things out in person. It would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants and bars and music from a motel/hotel ... but if riding a few miles is the route we choose it won't be the worst thing to ever happen.

Thanks all, for the great feedback!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Good point, REPBOY

In the end, we'll try to get to Memphis early enough in the day to check things out in person. It would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants and bars and music from a motel/hotel ... but if riding a few miles is the route we choose it won't be the worst thing to ever happen.

Thanks all, for the great feedback!
You also have the trolley downtown which makes getting around easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: