Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 AM

52 posts, read 203,738 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the history of the Pyramid? It's such a large, unusual, and fun structure. We pass it every day and every time I think - why is it so desolate?

Why isn't it being used? What was it's originally intent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
It has been empty since the Fed Ex Forum was built. It was built for concerts, sports, and traveling works. The Memphis Tigers and the Grizzlies played there until the Forum was opened. The Pyramid was designed horribly, was extremely uncomfortable, and not a great place to watch things. The Forum is 100x better and is modern with modern amenities than any concert/sporting arena needs.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM

87 posts, read 342,514 times
What about Bass Pro Shops plan? Is that still alive?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpinto View Post
Does anyone know the history of the Pyramid? It's such a large, unusual, and fun structure. We pass it every day and every time I think - why is it so desolate?

Why isn't it being used? What was it's originally intent?
It's Memphis's very own temple to local government waste, inefficiency, and political corruption.
There it sits, multimillion dollar structure that lays empty. Last I heard they were planning to sell it to a outdoor sports store for pennies on the dollar, but even they don't want it. But, hey, lots of local politicians got rich building it, so that's cool.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
IIRC, the Pyramid was a Dick Hackett thing, proving that not all bad ideas come from the current administration.

I remember thinking the Pyramid was the coolest place on earth the first time I went there to see a U of M game.

Bruce Springsteen put on a hell of a good show there on my 24th birthday.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 PM

232 posts, read 796,037 times
I love the pyramid. I hope to god that it doesn't become a Bass Pro Shops.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
IIRC, the Pyramid was a Dick Hackett thing, proving that not all bad ideas come from the current administration.

I remember thinking the Pyramid was the coolest place on earth the first time I went there to see a U of M game.

Bruce Springsteen put on a hell of a good show there on my 24th birthday.
Yeah I could have sworn it was a King Willie thing, sounds like something he would do - finance a multimillion $ stadium, get his buddies to build it with lots of tax money exchanging hands, and then let it sit empty and abandoned, but it was built in 1991 right during the start of his reign. I guess they got a few years of use out of it at least.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:58 PM

79 posts, read 422,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Yeah I could have sworn it was a King Willie thing, sounds like something he would do - finance a multimillion $ stadium, get his buddies to build it with lots of tax money exchanging hands, and then let it sit empty and abandoned, but it was built in 1991 right during the start of his reign. I guess they got a few years of use out of it at least.
It was built in 1990 and 1991. Herenton did not take office until January 1, 1992. If you have problems with the Pyramid, don't blame it on King Willie. He had absolutely nothing to do with it. That thing was pushed by then Shelby County Mayor Bill Morris and then Memphis Mayor Dick Hackett. The University of Memphis (at the time, Memphis State University) wanted to build an on-campus basketball arena on Central, north of the campus. Morris, Hackett and even the Governor twisted the arm of the president of the University (Dr. Thomas Carpenter) to not build the on-campus arena, but instead support and invest in the Pyramid Arena concept. Carpenter resisted for a while, but then gave in. Carpenter put $13 million of University money into the project. It was a horrible mistake.

The Pyramid Arena was home to the Tiger basketball program for just 13 seasons (1991-2005).

Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger View Post
It was built in 1990 and 1991. Herenton did not take office until January 1, 1992. If you have problems with the Pyramid, don't blame it on King Willie. He had absolutely nothing to do with it..
Huh????? I thought I clearly acknowleded that. Just was saying it SOUNDS like something he would do.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 PM

79 posts, read 422,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Huh????? I thought I clearly acknowleded that. Just was saying it SOUNDS like something he would do.
I agree that it sounds like something he would do. All I was attempting to do was to add a little more background on the whole origin of the Pyramid Arena. You obviously are clueless on the subject.

By the way, you clearly stated "but it was built in 1991 right during the start of his reign". It is correct that it was built partially in 1991, but that was not the start of King Willie's reign. Again, he did not become mayor until January 1, 1992. The first event in the Pyramid occurred in October of 1991.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: