U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,638 times
Default Are There Any Apartments...

that DON'T accept section 8? I'm a young business professional about to move out of my parents' house. I work in the FedEx area, so I was looking to stay either in that area or Cordova. Judging by the ratings over at apartment ratings.com it seems that the only way to find a decent apartment in this city is to pay an arm & a leg for it. I'm not really looking to pay much more than $700/mo. for rent. If anyone knows of some good places, I'd appreciate it. Better yet, if anyone knows of a site that lists the places that may or may not do section 8 that would be great. I have a feeling that I'm going to end up getting a some protection and a permit and hope that I'll never have to use it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,953,936 times
You should be able to get a one-bedroom apartment in a decent complex in that area for $700/month.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 AM

233 posts, read 537,103 times
I'm pretty sure most apartments, in nice areas, don't accept Section 8. Even then, I don't think you'll need to fear for your life just because the government is paying for a couple tenants apartments.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,558,342 times
I think you will have much better luck finding good housing in Collierville than in Cordova, if you do not want to be around "section 8" type of people. Cordova apartments, from my experience, have gone downhill greatly over the years. Not all of course, but many of the nice ones that used to be moderately priced and now home to the type of people that you are probably looking to avoid.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM

FYI --

Section 8 has generally been replaced by housing choice vouchers. A recipient can take a housing choice voucher to any landlord and use the voucher the same as cash. If the rent is above the amount of the voucher, the tenant is responsible for paying the difference. Thus, whether one is in Collierville or Cordova or Midtown (where voucher usage is quite high) or Bartlett or wherever, there is a chance one might live near a voucher recipient.

To my knowledge (and I spent two years working with public housing programs and still meet regularly with PHA officials in Memphis and Shelby County), Section 8 usage is minimal outside of the interstate loop, excepting Hickory Hill, where it is on the increase. You are much more likely to live next to a Section 8 or housing choice voucher recipient in Midtown than you are in the suburbs.

Why do you assume that low income people will be out to get you?

Last edited by strumpeace; 10-02-2007 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 AM

233 posts, read 537,103 times
Well, they don't work for the things they have. The rob, steal, and kill! Duh!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,558,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiepilex View Post
Well, they don't work for the things they have. The rob, steal, and kill! Duh!
Haha, not so sure on that latter one, but the first part is right. They are stealing my hard earned money, that's for sure.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,523 times
I find these postings about the Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) appauling. It's never good to stereotype people. There are great families that use vouchers and there are a few bad apples. I have tenants that you would never know receive voucher assistance; it's all in the screening process. And as a white Memphian let me tell you that Vouchers are mostly used by Blacks in Memphis but that is certainly not the case in other areas. But give people a chance - most recipients are very decent, honest people; that has been my experience.....

Old 11-09-2007, 07:17 AM

754 posts, read 1,684,543 times
Friendly suggestion: How about just answering the guy's question instead of browbeating him for who he wants (or doesn't want) to live around?

If someone asks for a good gated community, are you going to say "Why do you want to live there? Are WE not good enough for you to live around? You know, not everyone who doesn't live in a gated community is out to get you!"

Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 AM

He opened the door for those comments with his own comment: I have a feeling that I'm going to end up getting a some protection and a permit and hope that I'll never have to use it.

You can't make a silly comment like that and expect that people will overlook it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis