Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,481 times

Advertisements

So I'm originally from Portland, Oregon; lived there pretty much all my life. At the end of May I got a job offer and moved to Jacksonville, Fl but the job has bored me to death. I have been interviewing with a company in Bartlett, and the head guy said I'm the "top candidate". So there's a likely chance I will be moving to the Memphis area within a month or two max. At this point I'm only looking to rent.

I have been to Memphis a few times this summer, and kind of have an idea of it and what to expect. Mud island seems nice and fun, but most other places seem so patchy, that I really don't know where to go for everything I want. So here's my info, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm 26, male, single, a physicist/engineer, and love hanging out at restaurants/bars/etc... Not really into any kind of "clubs" or anything like that. More of a laid back beer drinker and socializer. I'm very actice and run at least 20-30 miles/week, love riding my bike, and anything like that. I'm not someone who likes to be shut in my "cave" too much, so I'm always out and about. I would like to live in an area where I can just walk outside and start running. Also somewhere where it will be easy to build a social life. But I do want a nicer apt/loft/condo with hardwood floors, and decent appliances for when I am home. I also have a car, and would like to be somewhere where there isn't a HUUUUGE likelihood of it getting broken into.

I would be making 60-70k/year, so could afford something in the $800-1200 range.

My job will require me to fly to other parts of the country a few days/week, so I would also like an area where it will be safe while I'm gone (and obviously while I'm there too haha). I don't really mind having to drive 20-40 minutes or more to work (in Bartlett), because I'll usually only have to be in the office a couple days a week. But if there is a good social scene and nice places to rent in Bartlett, I wouldn't be opposed to living there.

I would prefer specific names of apts/condos/etc to look at; streets and areas are helpful as well.

When I moved to JAX, I really didn't do my reasearch and ended up in a nice apartment, but in a really crappy area that was too far away from everything. I really don't want to end up in that situation again.

Thanks!

Last edited by erikpdx; 09-24-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM

255 posts, read 707,126 times
Hey! Welcome to the area (soon!) Sounds like you might like the Shelby Farms area where there are miles of trails for running, biking, etc. You can literally walk out of your apartment and go for a beautiful run. Here is one apartment to check out: Park’s Edge at Shelby Farms Apartments for rent in Memphis TN managed by NTS There are also some fun pub type places nearby off of Germantown Parkway, but this area is definitely more suburban and family oriented. You will only be about 15-20 minutes from Bartlett depending on where you work.

However, you may also appreciate downtown living close to the river. There are many cool apartments and condos on Mud Island or along S. Main. S. Main will have more cool things to do within walking distance, and you can run down to Tom Lee Park for a few miles. Mud Island is more residential, and slightly less urban. Living downtown will put you about 20-40 minutes from Bartlett, however. Hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 PM

191 posts, read 299,130 times
If you're not familiar with this blog, check it out. He covers the Downtown bar and restaurant scene pretty well.

Paul Ryburn's Journal

The South Main/South Bluffs area could work well for you, with Tom Lee Park nearby, as mentioned above. It's also a straight shot to the airport.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Can anyone give me any tips on how to go about finding actual rentals? Is Craigslist the best way, or is there any other secret? Any key words to search for other than "mud island" "south main" or whatever? If I accept the job, I'll probably be renting the place sight unseen, so I really want to be sure of what and where I'm getting into.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Craigslist is probably one of the best ways to find options. On Craigslist, I would use searches like "S. Main condo," "Harbor Town," (which is on Mud Island), or if you are open to staying closer to Bartlett, "Shelby Farms," or "Greenline." It all depends on your preferences in terms of activities you want to do most and how much you want to drive. If you want to focus on being able to run and bike while enjoying more diverse night life in an urban setting, choose downtown or midtown. Midtown key words would be "Cooper Young" or "38104." If you want to be able to run in a massive green space right outside your door with tons of suburban conveniences, choose closer to Bartlett.

There is also this website that focuses on downtown condos:
https://downtowncondoconnection.mana...entSearch.aspx
All the ones in your price range are good places.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Here are some great options in Midtown. You can walk to some cool restaurants and hang outs.

Cooper Young Modern Condo

Gorgeous, Newly-Renovated Condo with Charm!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,100,431 times
I second the Midtown proposal. Lots of safe areas in Midtown and a very vibrant scene that you're describing - running, biking, bars/restaurants, lots of patio dining. Pull up Google Maps and look at streets around Central, McLean, Union, Madison, Evergreen... neighborhoods like Central Gardens, Evergreen Historic, Cooper Young, Annesdale Park. Not sure how Portland and Jax are, but in Memphis you can be in a great area and somewhat close to a bad area or really close to a bad area. For instance, VECA is a cool neighborhood but areas around it are still very much in transition. Same with some areas in Cooper Young and Central Gardens. When I moved here, I utilized this forum quite a bit to ask about specific addresses. I also just used Google Street View to do a common sense check of the streets in the area.

As mentioned, Craigslist is a good place to look, as is the Memphis Flyer classifieds section. I used PadMapper which aggregates a lot of these listings into one maps-type interface which is really handy.

In my very limited experience in Memphis, Barlett, Cordova etc. are going to be in your price range and safe, but BORING! Seriously, look at Midtown, the University District, downtown/south main, and Mud Island/Harbortown. East Memphis is okay too, but I'd imagine there are less rentals there than in these other areas.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 AM

Thanks a ton! All the info is extremely helpful. I've done some searches and it looks like cooper young and downtown/south main look like they have what I am looking for. Mud island looks nice, but doesn't quite look my style. I'm kind of tired of living in boring apartment complexes. I'd rather have a cool loft, a restored older condo, or something like that. I've been surprised how much you can get for your money in the south in general, vs back home in Portland! Also being a single active guy, I definitely do not want to be in any boring area. Being able to walk, bike, cheap taxi (if i had too many drinks) or short drive to restaurants/bars/stores is a huge plus for me.

If (when?) I get the job offer and decide to take it, I will do some more searching and be back with more specific questions. They are looking to fill the position ASAP, so this could end up being a really quick move! Crossing my fingers...

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,692 times
I live in Bartlett. While I really like it here, I am also in my thirties, married, and have 2 young children. It's a great place for that! I think you'd be happier in some of the other areas mentioned in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis