Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natjon View Post
Everyone has made very legitimate observations about memphis. With the exception of two years spent in nyc and seven years military ive lived here all my life.
Reality is not debatable and open to opinion and the reality is there is absolutely no hope for memphis unless the current political powers are removed. From city council, school board,mayor,council men and women,and their appointed friends. Be ye black or white incompetence,and criminal behavior have distroyed the very foundation a city must have to not just grow but survive.
I would debate the reality (or perhaps hyperbole) you state; the people can take hope into their own hands. See mpact, see rsdm, etc. Using the government as a reason for "no hope" doesn't define the hope you talk about, and seems like an easy excuse to give up and not try. I don't support everything the government does, or perhaps anything the government does. That doesn't shield my eyes from evidence for hope every day and in every neighborhood in the region. The source of that hope? Citizens.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Quote:
See mpact, see rsdm, etc. Using the government as a reason for "no hope" doesn't define the hope you talk about, and seems like an easy excuse to give up and not try. I don't support everything the government does, or perhaps anything the government does. That doesn't shield my eyes from evidence for hope every day and in every neighborhood in the region. The source of that hope? Citizens.
It's fascinating that mpact wants government money to fund its social functions.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 18,831 times
Default White Station High School in Memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Knowing nothing about White Station, I'll tell you that LR Central (and quite a few other schools in LR and Pulaski County) is the way it is due to bussing.
My nephew goes to White Station and my oldest nephew graduated from there and is in his 1st year at Hendrix College in Ark. He received 1/2 scholarship for 4 years, qualified for full but didn't get it. White Station is an EXCELLANT school and when I attended his graduation last year it was amazing the number of scholarships and other awards honored there. Even the head of the Memphis School board at the time, Wanda Halbert's son went there. He got full scholarship to a University in Wash. DC. Can't remember the name its a big one though.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
I'm not sure if I'd use Memphis School Board members as my point of reference for intelligence and good decision making.

In all seriousness though, I have read on here that White Station is not a good school, it's only their Optional program that is so good. Any feedback on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memixer View Post
My nephew goes to White Station and my oldest nephew graduated from there and is in his 1st year at Hendrix College in Ark. He received 1/2 scholarship for 4 years, qualified for full but didn't get it. White Station is an EXCELLANT school and when I attended his graduation last year it was amazing the number of scholarships and other awards honored there. Even the head of the Memphis School board at the time, Wanda Halbert's son went there. He got full scholarship to a University in Wash. DC. Can't remember the name its a big one though.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
Here's the state link to schools which are on the high priority list and what that means. White Station is shown to have shown improvement and is therefore not on target for state sanctions at this point. However, it is still on the high priority list.

http://www.state.tn.us/sbe/2007Augus...itySchools.pdf

Also, page 4 on this White Station document explains what the categories are for high priority schools. White Station's status (School Improvement I - Improving) means that they have not made adequate yearly progress per NCLB for two consecutive years. At this level, students are offered NCLB transfers. Of course, in Memphis, that's not exactly likely as despite W.S's problems, it is still the best public high school in the city. http://yourschoolreportcard.org/pdf2...ion%20High.pdf

Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
That sounds like good news for White Station, but still. I wouldn't want to send my kids to a school that is "improving." I don't want to try and be a martar and set some "example" by sending my kids to a transitional/improving school. It's one thing to open a business in a transitional neighborhood, hoping to improve the area. It's something totally different when you talk about your kid's education and safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Here's the state link to schools which are on the high priority list and what that means. White Station is shown to have shown improvement and is therefore not on target for state sanctions at this point. However, it is still on the high priority list.

http://www.state.tn.us/sbe/2007Augus...itySchools.pdf

Also, page 4 on this White Station document explains what the categories are for high priority schools. White Station's status (School Improvement I - Improving) means that they have not made adequate yearly progress per NCLB for two consecutive years. At this level, students are offered NCLB transfers. Of course, in Memphis, that's not exactly likely as despite W.S's problems, it is still the best public high school in the city. http://yourschoolreportcard.org/pdf2...ion%20High.pdf

Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 AM

45 posts, read 196,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
Not true.Look at any of the other city forums in Tennessee.Be it Nashville,Knoxville,Chattanooga or the Tri-cities,NONE of them complain about their city like the people of Memphis do.

firepower
Yeah but in Tennessee only Nashville and Memphis are major cities. Chattanooga and Knoxville, and the Tri-Cities are smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis