Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think that Memphis could support more than one Whole Foods?

The current east Memphis Whole Foods is in a location that isn't convenient to very many people in either mid town or in Germantown. It's very far out of the way for any of the households in Desoto County, Lakeland, Collierville, Cordova, downtown, and Bartlett....of which there are many potential shoppers.

The grocery options here are a bit weak now that Kroger bought out their competition. Seems like a great opportunity for independents and national chains (such as Whole Foods or specialty stores like Trader Joes) to expand into the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM

448 posts, read 870,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
Do you guys think that Memphis could support more than one Whole Foods?
According to their corporate office and studies: no

Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I'm not sure that Whole Foods' target demographic is Desoto County, Cordova, or Bartlett... certainly not Lakeland... There is a reason they're in East Memphis. If they ever open another one, it will probably be in Germantown.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 AM

70 posts, read 204,586 times
As for a second Whole Foods, it probably won't happen because of reasons mentioned slightly above my post, and also because there is a planned expansion of the current location once Office Depot's lease next door is up.

Last edited by JMT; 04-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Let's just keep this about Whole Foods.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Memphis has a history of local groceries. I know that it's tough for small, local businesses to compete with national and global conglomerates, particularly in an industry like this, but I'd love to tap into the knowledge and experience that I assume is significant.

When talking about organic grocers (which is really what Whole Foods strike me as their niche), I remember the name Square Foods that struck me (name-wise) as something similar. I know they went out of business quite a long time ago (90s, IIR). I wonder if that name has cachet still. It's a pipe dream that I'd love to see that name resurrected (as long as it's done well).

TJ seems to be more of a fit, because it's more affordable, in my experience. I suppose it wouldn't be such a competitor that it would drive off farmers' markets or Easy Ways.

I wonder really what Whole Foods provides that farmers' markets don't? I've been to WF in the Tucson area, and what they seem to add is organic or "healthy" prepared frozen, boxed or otherwise packaged foods. And maybe a variety of farmed products that locals can't grow? Is that what people in Memphis are going to WF for? Kashi cereal and the like?

Last edited by JMT; 04-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Let's just keep this thread about Whole Foods.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Well, I don't go to Whole Foods (well - I have used their hot bar for lunch, and they have a good health & beauty section). All of the products I want that fall in that niche can generally be found at Kroger for much cheaper.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
There actually used to be two Whole Foods locations in Memphis. When I first moved to Memphis in 1997 there was a small Whole Foods on Union in Midtown. I believe it had been Square Foods, or some other locally owned organic store which Whole Foods bought. Whole Foods eventually closed it and expanded their East Memphis location in order to have one large store in Memphis instead of two smaller stores.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 AM

469 posts, read 970,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Well, I don't go to Whole Foods (well - I have used their hot bar for lunch, and they have a good health & beauty section). All of the products I want that fall in that niche can generally be found at Kroger for much cheaper.

While I prefer the price point at Kroger, I fairly often find still partly frozen veggies or worse, freezer burned items like the avocados which were rotten when I peeled them yesterday. Fish, seafood and meats are obviously inferior to Fresh Market and Whole Foods, but it's easier to shop and stay within a budget, using coupons and getting gas points at Kroger. International Market on Germantown in Cordova has the freshest fish (usually live) and selection of certain vegetables of anywhere else in town.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 AM

410 posts, read 802,938 times
I like Whole Foods. We visit there depending on what shpooing we have planned for the week. For staples we generally shop (Ok here it goes) Walmart. Their prices are good, the produce is fresh and their general pantry stuff is just fine. We also in addition to Kroger, hit Aldi's. I was opposed to going there and paying a quarter for a cart ;-), but they actually have some private label stuff we love. Their cereal and bread is good and cost effective. Their milk is good too.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM

70 posts, read 204,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There actually used to be two Whole Foods locations in Memphis. When I first moved to Memphis in 1997 there was a small Whole Foods on Union in Midtown. I believe it had been Square Foods, or some other locally owned organic store which Whole Foods bought. Whole Foods eventually closed it and expanded their East Memphis location in order to have one large store in Memphis instead of two smaller stores.
I remember the Midtown location and going there as a little kid (early-mid 90's). It was called Squash Blossom. Then Wild Oats bought it out, closed that location, and kept the E. Memphis location. Whole Foods eventually bought out Wild Oats a few years ago, and it's now a Whole Foods today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis