Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM

56 posts, read 106,391 times

Advertisements

I'm staying near East Memphis/Germantown this week, so I'll get to check it out for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM

When I first started doing some research back in August of 2012, you could pull up demographics information on all of the Shelby County schools, but now you can't. Was there a bru-haha over that?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
I think you can still pull that data from the Tennessee DOE website...

Tennessee Department of Education - Report Card - Profile

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Hope you have a nice stay in Memphis! If there are any specific neighborhoods that you want to know about don't be afraid to ask. Also, be aware that this is the last year Memphis and Shelby County are operating seperate school systems. They will be unified next year under one countywide district. The suburban municipalities are not pleased about this, and the future of public schools there is not at all certain.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM

As far as schools are concerned, I'd like to find something diverse, but not ghetto. Currently, we live in the Riverview Gardens school district here in St. Louis. I would never consider sending my sons there. That is why they're in Catholic school, now. When we move, I don't want to pay private school tuition. And I don't want a 30 mile drive to work everyday, either. Any thoughts on a good middle ground?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Is DeSoto County more of a safe bet with the current Memphis school situation? Southaven High?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Desoto County is OK, but the schools are not as good as what you will find in suburban Memphis (IMHO). The school situation is Shelby County will work itself out; I wouldn't get too worked up about it. A lot of the rumblings you hear about in the news are mainly about power, control, and money. The suburbs will ultimately get what they want (i.e. separate schools) either in the form of municipal schools or City run Charters. I am not trying to knock DC because it is a good option for some; especially if you work near the airport area. I just think the schools are better in areas like Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, and Arlington. Avoiding that MS state income tax is also a bonus. I also think you will eventually (in the next 10 to 15 years, maybe sooner) start seeing signs of decline in Desoto County. The area has grown too fast and a lot of the development does not lend itself to long term sustainability. The property value in that area is also really cheap and eventually you will start to see more low income people make their way down there. Once that happens, many of the middle class people will start to migrate further south and east into MS, to areas like Marshall County.

Last edited by Tigertate; 01-29-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 AM

I'll be working downtown off of North Main.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
I also do not see a bright future for DeSoto. Areas far from Poplar/Walnut Grove do not age well. The culture down there is also much more country, which is not for everybody. If you're working downtown, your best bet is my perpetual favorite, White Station High. It's the only realistic public option in the 240 loop. Not just because it's my neighborhood. The other Memphis City Schools are very, to use your word, ghetto. Germantown High, in the burbs isn't a bad choice either if you're willing to make the extra drive. But Germantown also doesn't have a lot of houses under 200k. I certainly couldn't afford to buy out there.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM

469 posts, read 970,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Desoto County is OK, but the schools are not as good as what you will find in suburban Memphis (IMHO). The school situation is Shelby County will work itself out; I wouldn't get too worked up about it. A lot of the rumblings you hear about in the news are mainly about power, control, and money. The suburbs will ultimately get what they want (i.e. separate schools) either in the form of municipal schools or City run Charters. I am not trying to knock DC because it is a good option for some; especially if you work near the airport area. I just think the schools are better in areas like Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, and Arlington. Avoiding that MS state income tax is also a bonus. I also think you will eventually (in the next 10 to 15 years, maybe sooner) start seeing signs of decline in Desoto County. The area has grown too fast and a lot of the development does not lend itself to long term sustainability. The property value in that area is also really cheap and eventually you will start to see more low income people make their way down there. Once that happens, many of the middle class people will start to migrate further south and east into MS, to areas like Marshall County.
This is a well stated observation, worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis