Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Ons Ons started this thread

8 posts, read 10,001 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experiences with Memphis Public Library. I'm looking online and it looks like they charge money to check out things like books on tape and dvds and have super short loan times (ie more than just tax dollars supporting the library). I'll be moving there in June and using the library for free entertainment is a big part of my life. I would be really sad if this was true. Please tell me I am wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ons View Post
Anyone have any experiences with Memphis Public Library. I'm looking online and it looks like they charge money to check out things like books on tape and dvds and have super short loan times (ie more than just tax dollars supporting the library). I'll be moving there in June and using the library for free entertainment is a big part of my life. I would be really sad if this was true. Please tell me I am wrong

Hi, I can't address your question but please allow me to suggest that you consider that the entertainment from the library is subsidized, not free. You will be paying taxes that support it and all other services. I am afraid that in the great USA we all too often forget that we pay for and own things; as in public library. If we change our attitudes about these things we will take better care of our things. Similar to when you throw out trash on the sidwalk and street. Those are yours and you will pay someone to clean them.

Just a pet peeve I have. Thank you for letting me air.

I will be surprised if you have to do more than make a refundable deposit. That has been my experience everywhere. I will watch your thread and learn this thanks to you.

Good luck,
raj

Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Not sure what you are getting at here, but thanks for the reply?

-To rephrase my question: In all of the other major metropolitan areas I have lived in, there are no fees to check out materials from the library. What I have seen on the Memphis public library seems to indicate there is a fee for each movie/cd/book on tape you check out. I wanted to know if this was actually true from a Memphian.
ONS

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Books are free. DVDs are not. Maybe you'll have to learn to read more :-)

Old 03-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Haha thanks. What is this book you talk about? Is that sort of like an kindle except made of trees?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

123 posts, read 391,300 times
The library where I live apparently seceded from the Memphis Public Library system - without bloodshed, as far as I know. As a non-county resident, I paid $20 to use the library. The lending times are short. One week for a "new" book. There's a $2/week charge for DVDs. It's not what I'm used to, either. I'm assuming it's the trade-off for lower taxes somehow. . .which, I'm waiting to evaluate as to its overall benefit, once I have lived in Tennessee for a year. In the past I have used county libraries -- very good ones -- but the county taxes were high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: