Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,953 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be headed there in about a month. We have already did our pre-move visit and found an apartment in the Southwind area. I thought it was Germantown, but the address says Memphis. Is this area okay? How is it comparable to Germantown and Collierville in terms of safety? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,336 times
The southwind area is a nice area. There are some pretty nice apartments near Windyke and off of Shelby Dr. East of Hacks Cross . I think one of them is called The Greens at Irene. However, you never know what you are gonna get with apartment living. Apartments are the areas in any community where you will more than likely have more petty theft and stuff. With that being said you should be fine in that area. In comparison to Germantown and Collierville I would say it is a small notch below those areas in terms of safety, but not by mutch. Violent crime in the area is extreamly low, similar to the suburbs.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM

170 posts, read 355,630 times
Yeah don't be worried about your safety there anymore than you would any other place you'd live. The "unsafe" parts of Memphis are far away.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 AM

209 posts, read 459,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enerrj View Post
My husband and I will be headed there in about a month. We have already did our pre-move visit and found an apartment in the Southwind area. I thought it was Germantown, but the address says Memphis. Is this area okay? How is it comparable to Germantown and Collierville in terms of safety? Thanks for any help.
Southwind is fine, but you still need to take care of it. Do not cross to east side of the Bill Morris Parkway, you will be fine.

If your husband works for FedEx, go to Collierville, they have a small FedEx community.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM

112 posts, read 183,542 times
in a very short time, people will be avoiding Southwind like the plague....why ? Winchester Road "creep" and Hacks Cross is beginning to suck right now...you couldn't get me to live anywhere around there...gated or not...Southwind was good 18-20 years ago...no so much now...other better options...

Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by characterRef View Post
in a very short time, people will be avoiding Southwind like the plague....why ? Winchester Road "creep" and Hacks Cross is beginning to suck right now...you couldn't get me to live anywhere around there...gated or not...Southwind was good 18-20 years ago...no so much now...other better options...

Hey...

You still have no clue what your talking about.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM

188 posts, read 372,389 times
Sorry but Hacks Cross south of Winchester is becoming a very unwelcome place. Robberies and other crimes going through the roof.
Keep your head in the sand if you want to.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
Sorry but Hacks Cross south of Winchester is becoming a very unwelcome place. Robberies and other crimes going through the roof.

What do you mean becoming? Did you just get your head out of the sand? It's been that way for years, but the area being talked about is fine.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:26 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,270 times
Quote:
It's a city, and that is a very busy part of town. It's no different from mid town, Germantown parkway in Cordova, or east Memphis. You will see car break-ins occasionally, but it is NOT a violent area.

I'm in that area very, very frequently and I've never had a problem other than traffic. It's not Collierville or Walnut Grove, but it definitely isn't Hickory Hill either.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,336 times
Quote:
That area is pretty quiet. There is the occasional breakin and petty theft that you see in many areas, but the crime is pretty low. The demographics in that area have changed and it is not as nice as it was say 15 years ago, but it is a safe area. That area is comparable to Cordova, Bartlett, annd parts of Desoto County. It is not Germantown or Collierville, but it is a pretty ok area to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis