Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Memphis, and have been doing my research online into finding a house/condo/apartment to rent. I've been searching in Midtown and East Memphis, and have been using Zillow and Trulia for my search. Unfortunately, it seems like every place I look at is extremely old or falling apart. Where can I find the newly renovated units or newer buildings. I'm looking for updated kitchens with nice stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, nice bathrooms, etc.

As far as my budget, I'm looking to spend between $1200 - $1500 for a 2 bed, 2 bath, but will be willing to go up to $1700 or $1800 if the place is really nice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 AM

188 posts, read 372,720 times
The Orleans apartments on far eastern Walnut Grove are brand new and have the amenities you want.
The Orleans Luxury Apartments | Cordova, Memphis, Germantown, Collierville, Shelby County | Property Features

Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecard222 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am moving to Memphis, and have been doing my research online into finding a house/condo/apartment to rent. I've been searching in Midtown and East Memphis, and have been using Zillow and Trulia for my search. Unfortunately, it seems like every place I look at is extremely old or falling apart. Where can I find the newly renovated units or newer buildings. I'm looking for updated kitchens with nice stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, nice bathrooms, etc.

As far as my budget, I'm looking to spend between $1200 - $1500 for a 2 bed, 2 bath, but will be willing to go up to $1700 or $1800 if the place is really nice.

Thanks.

You may also want to look for condo rentals downtown. Many may have some of the finishes that you are looking for.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,122 times
I did see a bunch of places downtown that I liked. Unfortunately, downtown would be a little too far of a commute for me to work. I would really prefer Midtown or East Memphis. If I can't find anything there, then I would consider Germantown, but I don't want to be too far east of the city.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
There are a couple nice condo units in East Memphis that I am aware of, but I am not sure what the price range is or if they have finishes like Granite tops and stainless steel applinaces. One unit is the Monarch on Park Ave. east of Estate. See the link below...

Monarch Condos First Amd Units for Rent in MEMPHIS, TN: Condo.com

Another unit is the Lexington, which is located on White Station Rd. just south of Sanderline. This development is newer and more high end, but they may have some rentals that are in your price range.

Both of these places are in great locations in East Memphis.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
New units in Midtown are extremely hard to come by, just FYI. Not a whole lot of residential building going on.

I'm actually apartment hunting in Midtown right now as well and here's a good new build. It's out of my price range so I'm passing it on.

1667 Parktown Place - Memphis, Tennessee

Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Not sure you want to be this far from Memphis, but this looks nice, drove by recently and it's shaping up well. Super convenient to 385. Liv Miller Creek

Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 PM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
New units in Midtown are extremely hard to come by, just FYI. Not a whole lot of residential building going on.

1667 Parktown Place - Memphis, Tennessee
This could be said pretty much for all of Memphis, which is why the OP wants to know why it's so hard to find new rentals in the Memphis area. The reason there aren't many new rentals is because new residential building usually occurs in places where the population is booming or growing. But since Memphis has been LOSING population for years and since it's not one of the most cosmopolitan cities you'll find, property owners know they can get away with charging an arm and a leg for old, outdated, rental units, and that's why that's pretty much all that's around; a lot of them play it off by telling you the old, outdated features give the rental "charm" and "character". Midtown is notorious for that.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
This could be said pretty much for all of Memphis, which is why the OP wants to know why it's so hard to find new rentals in the Memphis area. The reason there aren't many new rentals is because new residential building usually occurs in places where the population is booming or growing. But since Memphis has been LOSING population for years and since it's not one of the most cosmopolitan cities you'll find, property owners know they can get away with charging an arm and a leg for old, outdated, rental units, and that's why that's pretty much all that's around; a lot of them play it off by telling you the old, outdated features give the rental "charm" and "character". Midtown is notorious for that.
Carlito, your statement is incorrect. While Memphis' population growth is slow, it is GROWTH. It's a good idea to check your facts before posting a negative and false generalization. Source: Metro Memphis shows weak population growth in latest Census estimates » The Commercial Appeal

Back on topic: have you looked at the Pie Factory condos in Cooper-Young? I've heard great things about them:

Pie Factory Condos Virtual Tour - YouTube

There are many great places to live in Memphis. I'm sure you will find one that suits your needs.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:52 PM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemRunner View Post
Carlito, your statement is incorrect. While Memphis' population growth is slow, it is GROWTH. It's a good idea to check your facts before posting a negative and false generalization. Source: Metro Memphis shows weak population growth in latest Census estimates » The Commercial Appeal
Annexing communities against their will to replace the rapidly fleeing tax base and counting people who work in Memphis but then take their money across statelines to Mississippi and Arkansas don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis