Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,493 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting at the University of Memphis this fall for my MA. I'm a 21 year old female and am looking for safe but affordable housing options. I also have a dog. I have a car so driving isn't an issue, but I'd still like to be able to enjoy the city. I'm from Atlanta so I have common sense when it comes to cities, but I have relatives who are absolutely terrified of the crime rate. Any suggestions of where I should be looking? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLAH View Post
I'll be starting at the University of Memphis this fall for my MA. I'm a 21 year old female and am looking for safe but affordable housing options. I also have a dog. I have a car so driving isn't an issue, but I'd still like to be able to enjoy the city. I'm from Atlanta so I have common sense when it comes to cities, but I have relatives who are absolutely terrified of the crime rate. Any suggestions of where I should be looking? Thanks!

Your from ATL and you have relatives that are scared of the crime rate? Anyway, Midtown.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,746 times
What is your budget? Are you looking for a house to rent or an apartment?
I would suggest you start with downtown, midtown, and East Memphis. There are several students that rent homes in the normal station neighborhood adjacent to the school. That area is pretty safe, but there is some property crime and petty theft. There is very little violent crime there. The crime rate in Memphis is a little overblown IMHO. There are parts of town that are really bad, just like Atlanta. You really would not have any reason to be in those areas unless you are into negative stuff, which I am sure you are not since you are in grad school. Crime in Memphis and crime in Atlanta is probably very similar, so if you are ok in Atlanta you will be fine here.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
I agree with Tigertate. Just a general word of advice on neighborhoods in the University District. You'll most likely prefer looking either north of Southern Avenue and/or east of Highland Avenue. In other words, the neighborhood in the southwest quadrant of that intersection (Southern/Highland) is fairly rough and accounts for most of the issues around the university.

Many students also live in Midtown. There are some carriage houses, duplexes and the like to be found in various Midtown neighborhoods (like Evergreen, Central Gardens), but many students live in Cooper-Young, where smaller bungalow-type housing is the norm. Students also live in Vollintine-Evergreen, but many of these tend to be Rhodes College students due to its proximity.

I have a couple graduate student friends that live in High Point Terrace (boundaries are roughly Highland Avenue, Poplar Avenue, Summer Avenue, and it fades into other neighborhoods to the east), which is a great neighborhood if you can find a rental.

You could also look downtown, but having a dog might be a problem if you like to have a yard, etc.

There is a fairly large geographic disconnect between downtown and midtown (which is called "The Medical District" by some), and that part of town always has lots of rentals. There are a few nice ones (I've spotted some good stuff on Madison), but most are junky. There's also a fairly high propensity for bums, etc. Maybe a little higher petty crime.

I found my first rental by Craigslist, the second just by driving around. Search for "Midtown" and then subsequently "Cooper Young" (to make sure you didn't miss anything!) on Craigslist to weed out SCORES of rentals in Raleigh, South Memphis, etc. (aka places you don't wanna stay for crime and/or distance reasons)

When I moved here, I also posted a few addresses of places I'd found - in order to get other posters' opinions of the areas.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLAH View Post

Were you looking for apartments or rental homes?

When I was in grad school, I actively avoided areas that were home to too many "undergrads". I know it sounds bad, but I felt like I was able to focus better in more grown up areas. I'd avoid the typical U of M areas for that areason and look to either Mid town, downtown, or even parts of Cordova.

Cooper/Young or the area near Rhodes (south of Jackson) are pretty neat options.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,460 times
ATLAH, welcome to Memphis! I will also be attending grad school at Memphis in the fall. Luckily, I already live in a University-owned property close to campus (I got my undergrad at Memphis as well). I think you'll find that the University District is generally home to a diverse mix of students, faculty and families. I've never encountered an area that is too concentrated with undergrads, but I suppose the area west of the University, between Highland and Patterson streets is the area most home to undergraduates.

You may find this link helpful in your search: University of Memphis | Off Campus Housing Search

The school also offers grad housing on the Park Avenue campus: Residence Life :: Graduate and Student Family Housing :: University of Memphis

Honestly, I enjoy living so close to the school. Walking to class is great. I have never encountered any criminal activity, but always being aware of your surroundings and using common sense is a good idea wherever you go. Crime on the actual campus nearly nonexistent. The University is actually one of, if not the safest metropolitan university in the state (with more than 5,000 students, I believe).

Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,493 times
I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I'd live in either an apartment or a house as long as there was accessible green space for the dog. I'm still working out the budget, but I'd like to stay under $700. I'm just starting out so the most affordable options without sacrificing safety and quality are best. Thanks again for all the insight. Y'all are certainly making this transition easier.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
A one bedroom for $700 is definitely doable either in Midtown or the University area. Not really an option for downtown. You will have to actively seek a one bedroom property, as most are 2+ at least in Midtown. (To inspire you: I just rented a one bedroom shotgun in Cooper-Young for less than your budget.)

The Memphis Flyer also always has a couple solid listings in its classifieds section online.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM

165 posts, read 548,396 times
Midtown, absolutely. You might also want to contact your program and see if they have suggestions. I'm the "social chair" for a department's grad student organization, and one of the things I do is help people find places and, when I can, help with the "Memphis is so scary omg!" fears. (It's not.) PM me if you want and I'll see if I can get you in touch with the right person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis