Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM

62 posts, read 232,874 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are considering a move to Memphis. We have visited and toured with an excellent realtor, however I would love some opinions from others who have nothing to gain from our relocation.
*Our children are grown, so schools are not a factor, other than resale value.
*Work will be at the medical center. Traffic?
*Housing will be in the 600K-900K range, so midtown, east memphis and germantown would be our target neighborhoods.
*We currently live in Florida, so heat and humidity are understood.

Please tell me a couple of reasons you love Memphis and a few problems you see living in this area. Lifestyle, cost of living, weather, crime, local issues, etc. should all be a consideration.

Thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,318,760 times
$900k for a house in Memphis?! That is unheard of, really. You could buy just about the nicest home in western TN for that price

You can read through this forum to get people's opinions.
Cost of living is extremely cheap.
Weather is hot hot hot hot hot and humid in the summer and very mild in the winter.
Crime is terrible, one of the worst in the country. But if you are living in a neighborhood with a $900k house....this will not be an issue for your home.
Politicians here are corrupt and the city is run horribly.
Traffic is not bad at all compared to most other large cities. There is basically no traffic around the medical center in midtown. Traffic is mainly on the interstates coming in from the suburbs.

On the plus side, the city has surprisingly a lot to offer for younger people, bars, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc. Downtown has grown a lot over the years. There are also some great museums, the zoo, art center, etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 PM

62 posts, read 232,874 times
Default can you be more specific???

I'm curious what you mean about the politicians being corrupt and city horribly run. Does that mean that taxes are misspent, or is money mysteriously missing? Does trash get picked up and potholes filled? Are "dead" people voting and keeping this corrupt city govt in office? I have read a few remarks about "King Willie", can you elaborate?

Is Georgetown faced with the same corruption? Is the county govt guilty as well as the city?

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM

Georgetown?

I can say, my trash DOES get picked up every week Other than that, you explained part of the problem. Memphis on a whole is very uneducated and poor, and people who vote are not always the best decision makers. For instance, King Willie's campaign this year was "Shake Tha Haterz Off." Which people liked. People get voted in for being cool, having a recognizable name, etc. Not because they are good human beings who do the right thing in their personal lives or for the city.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM

27 posts, read 90,168 times
If you're going to be working in the medical district area, I highly recommend midtown. The drive is much shorter, and there is a lot more for you to do. Either Central Gardens, or East End Neighborhood, or Bel Air circle near overton park. All of these are neighborhoods that aren't heavy with kids, but have good amenities nearby and strong safe neighborhoods. These are all terrific neighborhoods with homes in averaging in that price range. There are a few other pocket neighborhoods off of east parkway that are terrific as well. The drive to Germantown or East Memphis will be painful, and only makes sense if you have kids.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator girl View Post
I'm curious what you mean about the politicians being corrupt and city horribly run. Does that mean that taxes are misspent, or is money mysteriously missing? Does trash get picked up and potholes filled? Are "dead" people voting and keeping this corrupt city govt in office? I have read a few remarks about "King Willie", can you elaborate?

Is Georgetown faced with the same corruption? Is the county govt guilty as well as the city?

Thanks for your input.
HAHA, almost like she lives here.

Taxes misspent - yes
Trash get picked - Well, trash for the most part gets picked up, but I find the city does not clean up well. You well see garbage in the streets.
Potholes - there are potholes galore (mostly, in the cities defense, due to tractor trailers tearing up the roads).
Dead people voting - yeah as a matter of fact, that has occured.
King Willie - Just watch the evening news when you visit.

Georgetown doesn't have these problems at all.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM

What is Georgetown? In DC? What does that have to do with Memphis?

Agreed - the city is full of trash everywhere. Dead cars on the side of the road, crap all over the streets. But in terms of your personal trash cans getting picked up at the curb, I've never known that to be a problem in good neighborhoods.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 PM

340 posts, read 1,308,232 times
First post for me, but this trash issue is one I felt a need to address. This city went from City Beautiful winner in the early 80's to a litter strewn mess in about a generation. I don't know if it relates to the crime problem or general malaise in town, but I for one wish that 1) people would throw there stuff in a trash can 2) people would pick up trash rather than stepping over it (unsanitary, I know, but I do it and wish others would as well), or 3) those out there receiving various government benefits (housing, AFDC, food stamps, room and board at the county jail/workhouse) were put to work cleaing up this place. I may be crazy, but I truly think that a clean city would encourage people to be better citizens.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM

774 posts, read 2,573,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
What is Georgetown? In DC? What does that have to do with Memphis?

Agreed - the city is full of trash everywhere. Dead cars on the side of the road, crap all over the streets. But in terms of your personal trash cans getting picked up at the curb, I've never known that to be a problem in good neighborhoods.
I think we can safely assume the original poster made an error and meant to type "Germantown" instead of "Georgetown".

Old 11-05-2007, 08:54 PM

27 posts, read 90,168 times
No kidding! I can't figure out when people became so lazy that holding onto trash until you got to a trashcan became so hard. Was it the slacker=hip culture of the 90s?

I hate that the city is responsive about problems, but not proactive about preventing them. I like that the mayor's citizen service will take care of any problem that you alert them about, and they will even send you a letter detailing how they corrected the problem. But I hate seeing city workers (including code enforcement!) drive by problem properties without taking action.

I would love to see the solid waste department take on more responibility. They are the only crew in the city that travels every city road on a weekly basis. They should be identifying potholes, overgrown lots, grafitti and code violations while they are driving around and be rewarded for the extra contribution. (Boston even has sensors on their trash trucks to detect potholes!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: