Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM

738 posts, read 2,565,540 times

Advertisements

The Best Towns in Tennessee for Young Families

Quality schools, cheap cost of living and ample opportunity for employment all bring a young family to settle down in a town. NerdWallet wanted to identify the best in Tennessee, so we asked the following questions as we analyzed cities and towns across the state:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM

680 posts, read 1,028,391 times
Thanks for posting. No one in Collierville will be surprised with the city's ranking.

With municipal schools, the Memphis suburbs will be unstoppable. Hopefully this makes the entire metro area more attractive to outsiders with families and to companies seeking to relocate.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:57 PM

845 posts, read 2,530,644 times
Yep,

I would love to see a Memphis burb push 100K in population (that would be great for the Metro) and Collierville is the strongest contender.

Last edited by Tigertate; 08-06-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Yep,

I would love to see a Memphis burb push 100K in population (that would be great for the Metro) and Collierville is the strongest contender.
I believe Bartlett is the largest suburb at the moment.

As for Collierville- the $102,000 average household income, if maintained as the city grows to 60,000 and 70,000 residents over the next couple of decades will make southeastern Shelby Co a major contender for attracting high end retailers, businesses, and other ammenities usually seen in much more populated areas.

Not sure if we'll see the 100,000 in population threshold met, but Collierville and Germantown together are probably very close to it right now. Collierville does have a surprisingly large annex reserve - as does Bartlett.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM

433 posts, read 844,895 times
I am not surprised by collierville's ranking either. I would say though based on numbers Southaven is better positioned to hit the 100,000 population mark before anyone else in the metro. Southaven added 20,000 people between 2000 and 2010 while collierville only added 12,000 as did Olive Branch. In 2000 collierville had a larger population than Southaven and now Southaven's is larger.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
The $102,000 average household income, if maintained as the city grows to 60,000 and 70,000 residents over the next couple of decades will make Collierville and eastern Memphis a major contender for attracting high end retailers and ammenities usually seen in much more populated areas.

Not sure if we'll see the 100,000 in population threshold met though, but Collierville and Germantown together are probably very close to it right now. Collierville does have a surprisingly large annex reserve.

I think the demographics there make the Winchester/Hacks area in Memphis near Fedex especially attractive for retailers.
Collierville would need to use that annexation zone to beat Southaven to 100,000 mark. I do agree also that when a East Memphis suburb does hit around 100,000 you will see those upper scale retailers you see in the suburbs of Atlanta and Houston.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
The Best Towns in Tennessee for Young Families

Quality schools, cheap cost of living and ample opportunity for employment all bring a young family to settle down in a town. NerdWallet wanted to identify the best in Tennessee, so we asked the following questions as we analyzed cities and towns across the state:
Nice post

Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
I am not surprised by collierville's ranking either. I would say though based on numbers Southaven is better positioned to hit the 100,000 population mark before anyone else in the metro. Southaven added 20,000 people between 2000 and 2010 while collierville only added 12,000 as did Olive Branch. In 2000 collierville had a larger population than Southaven and now Southaven's is larger.
Southaven is exploding right now. It's between the size of Collierville and Bartlett....although the average income indicates far less spending power than those two areas. Being on I-55 gives the area some advantages (and disadvantages) in attracting major employers. I'm actually concerned they might run out of space in the city limits within the next 10 years. It could be one of the largest cities in the state soon.

Does Mississippi have the same kind of annexation laws as Tennessee? I fully expect Desoto county to continue their explosive growth in the future- especially beltway is complete. Marshall County is getting a number of large businesses (because of state tax advantages) along the future 269 corridor south of Collierville/east of Olive Branch. There's actually somewhat of a commercial/industrial building boom along 302 and highway 72 in Marshall County in progress now. Those are all very good things for Olive Branch and Southaven (and areas south).

I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Desoto County was the fastest growing county in Mississippi. I wonder if there are any plans to widen I-55 south to Hernando to accomodate the suburban growth and industrial expansion.....I know the new gateway bridge (with rail and automotive lanes) that folks want to see built is probably going to be somewhere around State Line road if it ever finds funding.

Makes me wonder if the northern Suburbs like Atoka will ever see that kind of growth. Memphis is definately sprawling to the east and south more than it is to the north or west.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Collierville would need to use that annexation zone to beat Southaven to 100,000 mark. I do agree also that when a East Memphis suburb does hit around 100,000 you will see those upper scale retailers you see in the suburbs of Atlanta and Houston.
I'm not sure that is possible given the level of housing density in the zoning rules there. Collierville's master plan indicates that they expect the population to capitulate around 90 thousand 30 years from now.....up from 49,000 in 2012.

Collierville plots growth toward 2040 » The Commercial Appeal

We are already seeing a little bit of that public and private development out there. University of Memphis is expanding a satelitte campus near the square (Poplar/Peterson area), some new retail is going in along Poplar, Mercedes Benz is opening up a location on Houston, and Schilling Farms is slowly developing into an office and housing center.

I hope they are able to control it and not overbuild the retail and avoid choking in traffic. Fayette County's development is going to put even more cars on the road there.

Unfortunately, most of this growth is going to come at the expense of other parts of the county if more employers are not attracted to the region.

Last edited by tigerphan; 08-06-2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 7,798 times
Collierville is competitive for sure, but you can't just look at one state in isolation given the stunning growth of other close competitive regions. That means you have to look at JOB opportunities for families and growth within job opportunity for any area to be attractive in the coming years it seems to me. There are too many other factors to consider , like other competitive small businesses that would/should develop.

Memphis and in this case, Collierville is much too dependent on a one-horse, company-town-like industry and workforce. Namely FedEx. Collierville has one of the highest concentrations of FedEx employees, and new transferees. That's where they get steered. That's where the one-horse, company-town of MemphEX resides. That is toxic for future growth and dispersion of resources.

There are posters on this forum, right now who exemplify that and demonstrate this fact. According to her own words, CollliervilleMom also works for FedEx, got employed/transferred to MemphEx, and also landed in Collierville, so it stands to reason that she too is a vocal supporter of Collierville, TN. Nothing wrong with that ! We in the region don't live in a vacuum to ourselves. There are more competitive communities spread across the south and the southwest.

There is competition of all sorts throughout the South and the Southwest for families, new small business and corporate activity. Memphis is not really on the radar in a larger sense.

Here's some better reading. I found it informative on a much larger and specific scale !

Leading Locations for 2013: The MSAs with Strongest Prime Work Force Growth | Area Development Online

Kristine

Last edited by Krishellfell; 08-07-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis