Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,798 times

Advertisements

...so far has been a bust. My family and I are looking to relocate to the Memphis area in early 2008, but the job search has been dismal! I have uploaded my resume to lots of different online web sites, done job searches on websites that are supposedly targeted to the area and have had no luck. My e-mail inbox is filled with "work at home" opportunities. I live in Northern, CA in the Bay Area and I have a decent job and make a decent living, but we want a change and the only way we can do that is if the breadwinner (ME) can find a decent paying job.

I see plenty of posts where people say they are either transferring to the area or they were offered a job. The company that I work for does not offer transfers, so that's out. I work for a telecommunications company and have been with the same company for 12 years, but I'm interested in changing industries (ie hospital administration, medical companies, college administration, county clerk).

Does anyone have any tips on how to find jobs that aren't executive, but not warehouse either? Has anyone ever gone to the Temp agencies and lucked up on a permanent position? I want to be able to buy a house soon and that is one of the main reasons why California is not an option for us anymore. Wayyy too expensive!

I have relatives in Tipton Co. and we want to go there, but they can't help with the job search, they are all older, retired.

Please help! We're ready to go!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by towardtiptonco View Post
...so far has been a bust. My family and I are looking to relocate to the Memphis area in early 2008, but the job search has been dismal! I have uploaded my resume to lots of different online web sites, done job searches on websites that are supposedly targeted to the area and have had no luck. My e-mail inbox is filled with "work at home" opportunities. I live in Northern, CA in the Bay Area and I have a decent job and make a decent living, but we want a change and the only way we can do that is if the breadwinner (ME) can find a decent paying job.

I see plenty of posts where people say they are either transferring to the area or they were offered a job. The company that I work for does not offer transfers, so that's out. I work for a telecommunications company and have been with the same company for 12 years, but I'm interested in changing industries (ie hospital administration, medical companies, college administration, county clerk).

Does anyone have any tips on how to find jobs that aren't executive, but not warehouse either? Has anyone ever gone to the Temp agencies and lucked up on a permanent position? I want to be able to buy a house soon and that is one of the main reasons why California is not an option for us anymore. Wayyy too expensive!

I have relatives in Tipton Co. and we want to go there, but they can't help with the job search, they are all older, retired.

Please help! We're ready to go!!
It would help to know what you do for a living - what your skills and background (experience/education) are.

Have you tried going to the websites of organizations in Memphis instead of using the job-search sites? The University of Memphis, UTCHS and Southwest Tennessee Community College list their openings and application procedures on their websites (As I'm sure Christian Brothers University and Rhodes College do as well). Similarly, the hospitals list their job openings on their websites. County clerk and the like are elected positions, so you're out of luck there.

This link on this site lists some of the biggest companies in town. You'll probably have to go to the company sites to find openings as many don't post to Monster, etc.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:05 PM

113 posts, read 529,686 times
Yes, go to the Memphis hospital websites. They will have job posting.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
It just occurred to me that I didn't actually post the website.

Memphis: Economy - Major Industries and Commercial Activity

Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Gee, that probably would've helped to post what it is I do. I work in customer service, I'm an account rep. I will check out that link. I have applied on the Tenet Healthcare website and I think Baptist (?) Hospital's website as well. Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,329 times
Default Address Matters

One of my friends relocated to the GA area and purchase a PO Box in that area and was able to get a better response from employers. Look into getting a PO Box with UPS, USPS or something like that.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Despite this thread being pretty old....I have to say, this is a fantastic idea that I have never thought of. I have had plenty of friends apply for jobs out of town and never hear back, mainly because the employers want a local person. Kudos, this is a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshay10 View Post
One of my friends relocated to the GA area and purchase a PO Box in that area and was able to get a better response from employers. Look into getting a PO Box with UPS, USPS or something like that.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Nevermind.

I was offering a suggestion, but it's now a defunct website. Bummer.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM

163 posts, read 431,386 times
Servicemaster might have something. They're the folks who own Merry Maids, Chemlawn, Terminix, etc.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 PM

That IS a great idea Ladyshay - thanks very much.

We're still here in California, and do to some unforseen circumstances, will probably be stuck here through the end of 2008. I wanted to leave really bad and have been quite discouraged, but I'm still hopeful that I will be able to find job, move out of California and make a better life for my family.

Thanks for all who have responded and keep your fingers crossed for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis