Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,328,364 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd assemble a summary of some of the recent developments in the resurrection of Overton Square.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you probably have heard that Memphis’ historic Overton Square has been booming. It has quickly turned into the region's theater district. And in the wake of that congregation, several other businesses, bars, and restaurants have followed to fill up what had been a stagnant, if not declining, area searching for its place in the smorgasborg of options for Memphians and visitors. The actual district is getting close to full as of August. Hopefully the former French Quarter gets new life as well. Some of the dates are the openings, other are the announcements. If those distinctions matter to you, you might be confused. If I messed up on any details feel free to correct me!

(note: many of these properties may be outside the "official" Overton Square development that Loeb Properties is leasing, but they are in the neighborhood)

"Official" Overton Square website:
Studio on the Square (movie theater -- 1st runs and indies)

Memphis Pizza Cafe -- 1993
Bosco’s Squared -- 1997
Golden India -- ? (renewed 2013)
Bayou -- 2008
Le Chardonnay -- 2008
Lenny’s
Local Gastropub-- 2012
Bar Louie -- 2012
Delta Groove Yoga -- 2013
The Attic -- 2013
Breakaway Athletics -- May/2013
Cardio Barre -- June/2013

Not on website, but announced via bizjournals /or Memphis Daily News:
Noshings -- July/2013
Babalu -- August/2013
Gould’s On the Square -- August/2013
Robata -- August/2013
Atlas -- August/2013

I don't think these are officially "Overton Square" properties, but they're in the district:

Theatreworks
Circuit Playhouse
Playhouse on the Square (new building recently opened, 2011 or 2012)Hattiloo Theater -- 2011
Yolo Yogurt -- 2011
Start.co -- 2012?
Chiwawa -- 2013

Nearby:
Blue Monkey
Ardent Studios (?)

Last edited by Kabluey; 09-10-2013 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Default Art in Overton Square

Also, art has invaded Overton Square, particularly in the form of murals, but also sculptures as well. According to this article noting the newest contribution of muralist Remed, there have been several artistic installations in and around Overton Square:

"Remed" (Guillaume Alby) -- mural
David Lynch/Anthony Lee -- mural
Mary Norman -- mural
Carol DeForest
Suzy Hendrix -- stained glass panels
Lea Holland/Thorne Edwards -- mosaics
Anne Froning/Sean Murphy -- chimes tower sculpture

Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM

I didn't know, or neglected the fact, that there was a Bogie's Deli in the Overton Square area. I guess not for long: Overton-Square-deli-seized-by-the-state.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,041,042 times
That sucks...

Their Italian Pita is awesome. The potato salad is very good as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 AM

7,498 posts, read 17,102,683 times
Don't forget Bari Ristorante. And if we're adding in Ardent and Blue Monkey, you'd better list Molly's (La Casita) and Kwik Chek as well. And the other restaurant on the side of Kwik Chek... Noodles something or another.

Definitely is giving Cooper-Young a run for its money in Midtown entertainment districts. Once Crosstown gets up and running, I think Midtown will be 'the' premiere place to go in the metro area.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 AM

70 posts, read 203,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Don't forget Bari Ristorante. And if we're adding in Ardent and Blue Monkey, you'd better list Molly's (La Casita) and Kwik Chek as well. And the other restaurant on the side of Kwik Chek... Noodles something or another.

Definitely is giving Cooper-Young a run for its money in Midtown entertainment districts. Once Crosstown gets up and running, I think Midtown will be 'the' premiere place to go in the metro area.
The Crazy Noodle.

When Crosstown gets going, though I don't know if I'd necessarily call Midtown 'the' premiere area in the metro (from a demographics standpoint), it'll certainly be up there. As far as Overton Square goes, I'd say it's actually one of the few 'big' things that has actually been a success as far as big projects go in the city (looking at you Beale Street Landing).

Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 PM

7,498 posts, read 17,102,683 times
Well, I see your point. There are a few different ways to measure these things (price point, etc.). Even from a sheer numbers standpoint, I'd guess the Wolfchase area has us beat... From my perspective, everyone that I know hangs out in Midtown with a pop into South Main every now and then.

Beale St Landing is a terrible embarrassment. Even aside from the mechanical failures and empty restaurant, it's a development pattern straight from the 80s. I'm not sure who's running the RDC, but they can't seem to get it together. Hopefully Bass Pro will spur riverside interest and a redeveloped Pinch District that can meander down towards the Landing.

Maybe the city gov't should just hire Loeb to run the city? Seems to be working well so far in OS.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:10 PM

I would add
Bari Ristorante,
Molly's,
Kwik Check, and
Crazy Noodle,

if I knew how to edit. Maybe it's too late after I originally posted to do so.

Also, a second yoga place, Bikram Yoga, has joined the actual development (vs the area/neighborhood).

Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,041,042 times
Man. I was in Overton tonight and that place was packed from Cooper all the way to Minglewood.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Man. I was in Overton tonight and that place was packed from Cooper all the way to Minglewood.
Glad to hear it! I'd love someday for Cooper to become a pedestrian friendly all the way to Young. The area between Central and Union particularly needs some upgrading with the sidewalks, and bike lanes couldn't hurt. Do that, and, man, just think of the possibilities. It's not a short stretch, but that would make it more pleasant and engaging, and bridge Overton Square, Cooper Young, ,Central together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis