Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 PM

52 posts, read 120,714 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move downtown in mid-to-late 2015 and plan on having or buying a German Shepherd. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment. I'd rather stay under $1500/month if possible. I'm willing to pay extra to have the dog.

From the little research that I've done, there seems to be few rentals downtown that allow large dogs, but I see plenty of people downtown walking dogs of all sizes, so I'm assuming there are places available that I'm just missing. So far, I've been looking at the South Main area, but anywhere downtown would suffice.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I really don't know other than contacting them all individually. Maybe start with the Downtown Condo Connection? Downtown Condo Connection

Maybe others will have more firsthand knowledge.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 AM

191 posts, read 303,317 times
We own a condo in the South Main area which we just rented out, and even though there are concrete floors, we turned down a request for a dog because of potential damage. You may find that owners of the best apartments feel the same way.

Since you are not planning to move for two years, why not plan ahead and buy a condo? With an FHA loan, you should be able to buy with a minimal downpayment.

Personally, however, I think it's a bit unfair to keep a dog, especially a big one, in a city apartment, so maybe you can look for something that has a yard.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM

28 posts, read 44,007 times
Check the Lofts at South Bluffs and the YMCA Lofts-I believe both are pet friendly and meet your target budget. I used to live in the Lofts at South Bluffs and there were several large breed dog owners in the building. Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 PM

52 posts, read 120,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I really don't know other than contacting them all individually. Maybe start with the Downtown Condo Connection? Downtown Condo Connection

Maybe others will have more firsthand knowledge.
Great website! I haven't seen it before. It seems like a great resource. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comingtomemphis View Post
We own a condo in the South Main area which we just rented out, and even though there are concrete floors, we turned down a request for a dog because of potential damage. You may find that owners of the best apartments feel the same way.

Since you are not planning to move for two years, why not plan ahead and buy a condo? With an FHA loan, you should be able to buy with a minimal downpayment.

Personally, however, I think it's a bit unfair to keep a dog, especially a big one, in a city apartment, so maybe you can look for something that has a yard.
I should have specified in the original post, but I prefer South Main because it's a little less congested than the rest of downtown and isn't far from the river. I want to make sure I have plenty of places to walk the dog. I would also take him/her to dog parks regularly. I don't think the size of the apartment would be an issue as long as the dog gets the right amount of exercise. People with all sizes of dogs live in cities. Thanks for the advice on the FHA loan. I'll look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack D View Post
Check the Lofts at South Bluffs and the YMCA Lofts-I believe both are pet friendly and meet your target budget. I used to live in the Lofts at South Bluffs and there were several large breed dog owners in the building. Good Luck!
Thanks! I'll check into those.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Big dogs aren't always in need of high exercise. We have a large St. Bernard that is fine with a 15-20 minute walk once per day - really if we make her do more than that, she's annoyed!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 PM

170 posts, read 355,565 times
I live at Washburn, many people have big dogs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis