Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,237 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm looking at a house right around the area of central and buntyn right before you go under the train tracks (on central) and see the childrens museum. Is this a safe area to live in? Any known gangs or break-ins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,302 times
Break ins happen everywhere. In the burbs. In the city. No getting around them. The area you're talking really spans the whole economic spectrum. Everything from beautiful million dollar houses in Chickasaw Gardens to the troubled Beltline neighborhood in the shadow of the Liberty Bowl. But I'd be happy living anywhere North of Central over there. It's centrally located, one of the prettiest areas in town, and I wouldn't feel unsafe.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 AM

255 posts, read 710,711 times
I rented right there at Central and Milton a few years ago, and I couldn't stand the noise from the train and the planes. I am not a super light sleeper, but that was ridiculous. I cannot imagine living near there without nearly sound proof windows or sound proofing my home. The trains would run about every few hours during the day and night blowing their horns, and then the FedEx planes would fly over at night. Oh, my, word... I do not exaggerate about the noise.

If you are not a light sleeper and don't mind the noise, it might be fine, but beware. It is NOT a quiet neighborhood right there. If the house is selling for a crazy cheap price, there is probably a reason for it. You might want to go to the house at different times of the day and listen for the train. I would NOT even consider the house if it didn't have double pane windows or some kind of sound dampening features like carpet.

Crime wise, I did hear gun shots with somewhat regular frequency especially on the weekends in the summertime from the neighborhood south of Central near where I lived. That is not a great area. No break ins in my gated community while I was there, but I was always careful to be aware of my surroundings and whatnot. I felt very safe during the day to walk along Central or go to Chickasaw Gardens Park east of the train tracks, however.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Yeah, it totally depends on the exact(er) location. Buntyn south of Central is not really desirable real estate. Buntyn north of Central (Lombardy Avenue etc.) is very nice.

Central's southern neighborhoods improve dramatically to the east after the country club (even Goodwyn is good though). To the west is Beltline (not where you want to invest) and the old fairgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis