Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,528 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how interaical (Black/white) couples and families are seen in Jackson, TN? We live in Iowa right now and wanting to move in July. Also how are the schools will have 1st grader and 7th grader. What areas are safer to live in? How is house rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaswife View Post
Can anyone tell me how interaical (Black/white) couples and families are seen in Jackson, TN? We live in Iowa right now and wanting to move in July. Also how are the schools will have 1st grader and 7th grader. What areas are safer to live in? How is house rentals?
Tennessee is really not that different than the rest of the country. You should be fine but yes racism exists here just like everywhere else. It's mostly a generational thing, younger people tend to be less racist than older people.

The thing about racism in the South is that Southern racists tend to not care who knows they are racist. Racists from other parts of the country tend to try to hide their racism more. It's not that the South is more racist, it's that the racists here are more open about it.

But there are plenty of interracial couples here in Tennessee so you should be fine.

Last edited by EVAunit1981; 12-29-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 03:07 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaswife View Post
Wish I can tell you more about Jackson. I'm Asian and my wife is white....interacial couples are actually fairly common in the Memphis area and the eastern suburbs. I can't imagine it being all that different in Jackson.

Are you concerned because of a stereotype that you may have about southern people?

Like the rest of the country, white/black racism and prejudice is on boths sides of the fence and is far less of a problem with younger people than older folks. We also have indoor plumbing too in case you were wondering.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM

428 posts, read 848,598 times
I am of Black/White/and Native American origins and my wife is Black. We live in Memphis. Anyways my wife’s mom remarried a so my wife’s step dad is White. They are an interracial couple in Mississippi. I am sure if they can live happily and peacefully in Mississippi you should be fine. The South is not as racist as those outside the south portray it to be. Also I would add look into Gibson county around Humbolt. Humbolt is a part of the Jackson, Tennessee metro area and my wife’s step dad has a brother he’s White and his wife is not White and they live in Gibson county. They like it. You should be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis