U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2007, 04:37 AM

15 posts, read 56,997 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of trying to relocate from NJ to the south.Just to give you a brief history of us I'm 24 he's 26, I work in the field of Criminal Justice ,he's a technician for Verzion, and were a interracial couple (Im black, he's white)

We really would like to find a small quaint town with great real estate (200K to 300K). Also important to us is to find good school system for when we start our fmaily ,good jobs near, diverse, and last not to far from a big city.

I know it seems like a lot but I was told Tennessee was one of the few southern states that still had that family orientated community feel.

Hopefully somebody could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM

12 posts, read 25,425 times
I grew up all over TN. I spent my youth and young adulthood in Nashville, and I went to high school in Maryville (small town east of Knoxville), and I now live in Germantown (just to the east of Memphis).
Tn is a great state to live and raise a family. East Tn is good ole appalachia, small towns and rock-a-billy.
Nashville has a more cosmopolatian feel. It suffers from sprawl and they are many small towns nearby that consider themselves "Nashvillians" that would be a great place to make a fresh start.
The Memphis area is much more "urban". It also is surrounded by small communities, but the communities in and around Shelby Co. tend to have an identity of thier own.
I would try to stick to the communities around the cities. These communities are more welcoming to "transplants". In the small towns scattered across the state, it may take a few generations to be accepted among the locals. Some people may disagree but this has been my experience. Oh! one more thing, WELCOME!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 AM

113 posts, read 377,008 times
You might like Atoka, TN.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM

376 posts, read 1,278,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaistrue View Post
My husband and I are in the beginning stages of trying to relocate from NJ to the south.Just to give you a brief history of us I'm 24 he's 26, I work in the field of Criminal Justice ,he's a technician for Verzion, and were a interracial couple (Im black, he's white)

We really would like to find a small quaint town with great real estate (200K to 300K). Also important to us is to find good school system for when we start our fmaily ,good jobs near, diverse, and last not to far from a big city.

I know it seems like a lot but I was told Tennessee was one of the few southern states that still had that family orientated community feel.

Thanks in advance
You will probably like Oxford, Miss. It has been named as a top retirement town and a top college town by many publications (like Money magazine). It is the picture-perfect Southern town. It is a college town, so it is more liberal than the typical Southern town and more welcoming of interracial couples. The school system is very good. You can't get a house in the downtown area for that price range, but you will find a large number of brand new 4 bedroom homes on the outskirts of town in that price range (5 minutes to the center of town). There are not many jobs there, though. You might be able to find a job in criminal justice since there is a large legal population there (federal courthouse). AT&T is the phone company there and always seems to be hiring technicians. You should also look at towns on the outskirts of Nashville. Verizon is moving their headquarters there.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM

754 posts, read 1,780,795 times
Atoka or Munford, in Tipton County. Arlington or Lakeland, in Shelby County.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,535 times
Default Try Lakeland, Arlington or Oakland

Any of these locations can get you what you are looking for. Lakeland is nestled between Bartlett and Arlington, Tn. It is close enough to the city attractions but far enough away where you don't have to worry about the crime of a major city. Arlington is growing every day but it is still a very homey community and Oakland is a little further out and is at the begining stages of growth. All three are great communities to live and raise a family.

Last edited by christina0001; 11-28-2007 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 21,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaistrue View Post

Thanks in advance
Bartlett.. 3000sq-ft all brick homes (semi-custom) tile/wood floors, 3 car garages, new construction .. they come in at about $260-300k.. LOW crime.. VERY NICE area.. A lot of parks and close to the highways, but not on top of them. I'm from NJ originally (Paterson), so I know what a change moving down here is like, and Bartlett was my first pick in TN..
Germantown is nice, overpriced, but nice.. Bartlett has good schools, good daycares and access to all of the shopping areas might be in need of.
The Bartlett Police have a reputation.. They're often referred to as "a-holes" because they don't take any crap.. You see them every where, they patrol the neighborhoods and subdivisions and I appreciate what they do..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis