Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times

Advertisements

I'm retiring 11 weeks from today and plan to take a couple of months off - then I want to find something to do part time...maybe 3 days a week or so. How do people find part time jobs now? Websites like Monster.com? Walk the streets? Last time I looked for a job was in the pre-internet days and the newspaper was a primary source. That's obviously not the case now since it contains maybe a page of help wanted ads instead of the entire section that it had back in the stone age.

I know places like Lowes have the computer stations in their stores where you can apply, but I wonder if those are really worth the effort. They must get hundreds of applications each month there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
I'm not sure about part time. Monster.com is popular for full time work, and recruiters look through that frequently. Internet is definately the way to go, but for local part time work, I think printing out copies of your resume on very nice grade paper and hand delivering them to places still works. Maybe other posters are aware of a website that specializes in part time listings.

Good luck with the job search. Before I moved to Memphis in 2010, I was working for a large distribution company that serviced retailers. Every time we'd post openings, part time or full time, we'd get 200-300 applicants. I actually remember going through over 400 for a full time job that paid about $34,000 per year. It's not as tight of a job market right now, but it's still very difficult out there.

Congrats on retirement! You should check out whatever company manages Redbirds games or Tiger basketball games. I always thought being an usher there would be a cool gig because you get into the games for free and get lots of exercise.

There's also a couple of new companies in Memphis that might be looking for part time people, like Mitsubishi Electric or Electrolux.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM

When I get ready, I'll probably just check for openings at various places in Cordova when I'm out and about. Just working a few hours a week for probably something around minimum wage means I'll want to work close to home. No point driving 15 miles each way just to make a few extra bucks.

I'll probably check the golf courses first, although I suspect they also get a LOT of inquires from newly retired golfers Then there's Lowes, Home Depot, AutoZone, etc. Primarily I want to do something totally different from what I've done my entire career (banking, lending, collections)...otherwise there wouldn't be any point in retiring!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Most retailers require you to apply through their website.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Keep in mind that a lot of retail can be very demanding physically and there are very few chain stores that hire people on just as cashiers. Most places will want you to cover a variety of tasks, so if you go to an interview be very specific about what the job duties will be.
For whatever reason our many of the managers in our company gloss over that aspect, and we have a fairly high turnover rate of new hires when they discover that the job is more than just standing at a register ringing up purchases.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Target is one of the few companies that I believe hires 'just' cashiers.

Look at Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, I got a job once through snagajob.com

Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM

I don't want something just standing at a cash register. I'd actually prefer something a bit more physical. I might be old, but I'm in good shape!

My other option would be to do something on my own. I could devote more time to my stained glass projects and sell some of those - but that doesn't get me out in the world much. I actually thought about opening a small store selling stained glass supplies. The closest competition would be Nashville and Atlanta....but I'm not sure I want to take on the responsibility of running my own business - even a small one. I'm tired of having to constantly deal with governmental regulations after all these years.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Craigslist has some legit listings, and I've heard Costco is one of the best places to work too, they should be pretty close to you. Enjoy yourself!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
Craigslist is good advice. Be careful of scams and other illegitimate offers though...and keep your safety in mind.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
I use to find more jobs by looking at several job websites and looking through the first 3 or 4 pages of results. After the first couple of pages, you start seeing repeat jobs and older jobs, so move on to the next search engine. Check every couple of days to be one of the first to put in an application. Just search for phrases that apply to you (carpenter, metal, food, etc).

I'm not a fan of Monster.com. I never got good results there. The ones I liked most for updated listings were:
careerjet.com
indeed.com
simplyhired.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis