U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 11,362 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving from jersey to memphis soon for work and I don't have a clue where to start looking to rent an apartment. I am a 24 year old single white guy. I'll be working in the presidents island area, I'm interested in living somewhere safe that would have decent nightlife, and some grocery stores/restaurants nearby... maybe even factoring the drive to Tunica into the equation but not sure if that is worth it since its not somewhere I'd be going on a weekly basis. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 02:09 PM

139 posts, read 287,317 times
Very Easy. Downtown/Mud Island. Full service grocery store will be a little bit of a drive. Tunica is basically a straight shot from there. Best of luck.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Thanks jaydarl, and some people have suggested the midtown area, any thoughts?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM

159 posts, read 137,992 times
I think that downtown will likely be your best bet. You'd have plenty of restaurants and entertainment within walking distance, though no full-scale grocery (Jack's, City Market, and Frank's all provide the basics, but you'll probably find yourself driving to midtown for groceries - not a terribly long drive). You didn't mention a budget for rent, but I like to recommend the Renaissance apartment building as a relatively affordable option for downtown living.

By the way - you can think of downtown as a pretty safe place.

Midtown could also be a good option. Lots of fun stuff going on, including restaurants, grocery stores, and entertainment. Thing is, "midtown" spans a pretty large area, and you may find that you like some parts of "midtown" more than others. If I were you, I'd stick with downtown for the first lease. You could scout out midtown during that first year to see what parts you like most, then decide if you'd want to move to the area.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 PM

6,947 posts, read 15,696,394 times
Downtown and Midtown would be the best options. Nightlife, proximity (relative) to Presidents' Island, safety, etc. In Downtown, the South Bluffs, South Main, Mud Island areas are all seeing development of apartments as we speak.

A word to the wise is that there is a neighborhood (or series of neighborhoods) that separate downtown and Midtown. This area (alternatively called 'the Edge' or the Medical District, or even called midtown or downtown in some apartment listings) can be rough in a lot of ways. Probably best to stick to downtown proper or Midtown neighborhoods like Evergreen, Central Gardens, Cooper-Young, Lenox/East End/Overton Square. Once you get settled in here, you can scout out other locations and see how you like them.

FYI, downtown is the only walkable neighborhood in the city. You will drive in Midtown for basics and probably for nightlife, unless you live in Cooper-Young or very close to Overton Square. Memphis is pretty small so you could easily live in other neighborhoods and drive to nightlife. There are lots of great neighborhoods throughout the University District (Joffre, Buntyn, etc.) - this area has lots of rentals due to the University of Memphis being there.

Good luck and please post any more questions!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,200,662 times
Midtown and Downtown are the only options for nightlife. There are a few bars here in East Memphis, but it's more of a suburban feel and I'm sure not what you're looking for. The downside of Downtown and Midtown is the shopping. Although Kroger is in the process of fixing this, the grocery options in midtown are not as good as in other parts of town. Downtown is even worse. Practically a food desert. Neither area has a Target or most other big box stores, though Midtown does have a small Home Depot. Midtown also attracts a funky kind of person. Alternative/hipster/artsy...you get the idea. I think it's fun, but it's not for everybody. I think most people instinctively know if it's for them. And the housing stock is very old, which is charming, but can also be very impractical. Simple things like central air conditioning, insulation, in unit washer and dryer, and recent kitchen appliances are not necessarily a given as they would be elsewhere. Midtown and Downtown are also far from most of the traffic/business of the city, which is out east. I know this sounds strange, but outside of a few party districts like Overton Square and Beale Street, they're a lot quieter than Poplar in East Memphis or Germantown Rd in Cordova. Long story short, Midtown and Downtown are more fun than they are practical. They're great neighborhoods for young people, but they're not always convenient.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM

737 posts, read 1,786,683 times
If you are coming here knowing nothing of the city, I would pick to rent downtown for sure. Midtown has some nice areas, but it also has very unsafe areas. It would be hard to gauge as an outsider. Downtown on the other hand, as long as you stick to either the downtown core or mud island, is very safe. I would suggest renting downtown, and then after your lease ends you'll know more about the city and will be able to make your own educated decision about where you want to live next.

Do you want to be walkable to nightlife? Then stick to maybe the South Main area (think around Main/GE Patterson), or there are some places along the core closer to the Main/Union intersection to give broad examples. If you want to be downtown but would be okay with a short car ride or taking a cab to nightlife, there are tons of options on Mud Island. It is "downtown" but not walkable to the rest of downtown. It has a small expensive grocery store, but if you want a real large-scale grocery there is nothing like that downtown. Also on the island you'd have free parking; a lot of downtown you may have to pay monthly to park in a garage. That could be a headache when it comes to driving to work and getting out to do anything.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM

6,947 posts, read 15,696,394 times
I agree with you (Cristen). However if the OP would care to post his/her maximum monthly rental budget... most of downtown may be out of the equation automatically. I know I live in Midtown because at the time I was looking, I definitely couldn't find an affordable place in the core.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm looking to spend around $900 or less a month after utilities.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

737 posts, read 1,786,683 times
That's a pretty low price for Memphis. I would think anything in South Main or the downtown core would be much higher than that, over $1000. Riverset is the oldest apartment complex on mud island and probably the cheapest due to it's age. From what their website states, 1 bedroom apartments start at $840. I have not heard of apartments including utilities around here, so add on maybe $100 per month for that. Fielder Square is downtown, next to the baseball park, and their website has 1 bedrooms at $940. Studios at $650. I think that place has their own parking garage, not sure if it is free though.

Midtown does not have many "complexes" most people rent out houses, or houses that were converted into duplexes, triplexes, etc. That's why renting can be a bit more tricky, not only because of the crime issues but because you will likely rent from a person, not a company. There is one complex around the medical district, between downtown and midtown, Bristol, and it looks like 1 bedrooms start at $740. It's right on the interstate, also on a major busy street, and next to an emergency room, so it might be loud The Gilmore is another complex in midtown but their website does not list prices. Kimbrough Towers is on that same busy road but further down, looks like rent may start around $555 for a small studio, but I think they all have window A/C and it's an old high rise building.

Last edited by CristenS; 01-23-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>