Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,745 times

Advertisements

I am at a loss.... I had to retire due to medical issues and my husband has always wanted to move south.
He has since been diagnosed with a brain lesion and a small aneurysm. I have been searching, Jackson
1st selection until I found out about crime and voted top 10 worst cities to live in. Then went to Collierville, Germantown but the prices in this area are expensive. I would prefer Collierville is I could afford it. Checked out Cordova and was wondering why the houses are so low and why so close together.
Now I know. Seems like there isn't any nice affordable places anymore that is safe. We wanted to
move for the weather and the southern hospitality that I experienced since my relatives are from south.
Just don't know where to go now. Checked out Southaven, ms was told a lot of people moving there but
starting to get overpopulated. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Just want about a 1600 sq ft
3 bedroom , 2 bath home with a large yard.

At my wits end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I like the Marion suggestion. Some new construction over there. Make sure you research the tax benefits/drawbacks of living in TN, AR and MS. TN does not have an income tax except on certain investment income. I'm not sure what the deal is in MS or AR.

Is there any particular reason you're looking at the Delta? It's rather hot here and one of the poorest areas of the country. Memphis does have a decent medical system, and our cost of living can be lower than in other areas with good or better healthcare (such as Nashville). I'm not necessarily trying to dissuade you from living in the Mid-South area (aka greater Memphis metro), just making sure you've thought out why you're picking it.

Cordova is safe. Not sure where you read that it isn't, but there is nothing in Cordova like in other (actually dangerous) neighborhoods in Memphis. Bartlett is also very safe. You might want to look at Arlington, Lakeland or Eads, or even in Fayette County. The new I-269 interstate highway has made traveling within these areas much easier.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:32 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Cordova is fine. Germantown and Collierville are pricey because schools are better there, but I presume you don't care about schools if you are retired. Why pay extra for something you won't use? How much land do you want? As long as you don't expect a farm, Cordova has large yards. It's not rural though. If you want to be in the country, you'll have to go further out.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 PM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
To me the drawback of Cordova is paying Memphis City Taxes, which tend to be a good bit higher than the other municipalities in Shelby County.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
But the housing is cheaper there. You may pay a higher percent, but it's of a lower assessed value than it would be in Gtown and Collierville. The tax bill in dollars will be about the same. The Commercial Appeal is also reporting that Collierville is about to jack up their property taxes in order to build a new high school now that Houston belongs to Gtown, who needs every spot possible because GHS is remaining in the consolidated county district. These municipal districts aren't going to be cheap.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 AM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
Yeah I can't speak for Collierville and Germantown. However, I know my in-laws pay about the same on taxes for their place in Arlington as I do on mine in Raleigh despite theirs being assessed at almost double the value. Taxes are a recurring expense and should be factored in, especially as a retiree who is likely on a fixed income. Taxes are why folks are building half million dollar houses in Fayette County. A $1m house in Piperton only costs around $3500 per year in taxes.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:08 PM

164 posts, read 282,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I like the Marion suggestion. Some new construction over there. Make sure you research the tax benefits/drawbacks of living in TN, AR and MS. TN does not have an income tax except on certain investment income. I'm not sure what the deal is in MS or AR.
I agree. TN won't have income tax except capital gain, however, if you are not higher income range, you seems not need to worry about it.

Marion, I agree, very great. You can got a huge (I mean huge) than a same price house in Collierville/Germantown. The distance to downtown memphis is closer compare to Mississippi side. Marion is small (I mean the most underrated and should be a bigger one), but have huge potential town in Memphis area.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
I agree with a previous post. I think you may have come across misleading or somewhat inaccurate information regarding Cordova. Cordova, for a lack of better words, is different. Since it isn't actually a city/town, the area is just kind of lumped together. Parts were annexed by the city of Memphis and have to pay both city and county taxes, like the rest of the city of Memphis that recieve services from the city. The rest is actually unincorporated Shelby County. They only pay one property tax because they don't receive any services from any city. This is also true for all other areas of Shelby County. If you lives within the city limits of any city; Germantown, Bartlett, Collierville...etc, you pay two property taxes. One for the county itself, and one for things like trash pick up and police and fire services provided by that city. If you live in unincorporated Shelby County, or in the County, as we refer to it, you pay for trash pick up by a company of your choice. Police and fire are provided by the Shelby County Sheriff' s Department and Shelby County Fire. I can admit, it can be confusing. Even some of those who live here don't really get it.

As for crime, in this part of town it is not high either.

On the issue of yard size. There are areas with large yards and when aren't son close to their neighbors. I will agree that Lakeland or Arlington have more houses like this. Areas such as Bolton do as well. One really good thing is the new legislation no longer allowing Memphis the power to annex unincorporated areas . That's a major plus and alleviates a lot of fears and concerns.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis