Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 13,508 times

Advertisements

I'm a K-6 elementary teacher who will be moving from East Tennessee to Memphis next summer because my husband will be attending UT. We're both willing to communte but I don't know what school systems to look at. From what I've read on hear I need to steer clear of Memphis City schools. I plan on applying in Shelby County though. What school districts around Memphis and in Arkansas and Mississippi should I consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,322,584 times
Anything but Memphis City...you could get a job there easy, but it can be really dangerous. It's harder to get on in the other school districts because that is where everyone wants to teach.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,290,130 times
Many teachers here go the private school route and take less money for doing so. With regard to public schools, I would suspect that the DeSoto and Shelby districts--especially DeSoto with its fast-growing population--probably have plenty of jobs.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM

376 posts, read 1,772,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacw22 View Post
I'm a K-6 elementary teacher who will be moving from East Tennessee to Memphis next summer because my husband will be attending UT. We're both willing to communte but I don't know what school systems to look at. From what I've read on hear I need to steer clear of Memphis City schools. I plan on applying in Shelby County though. What school districts around Memphis and in Arkansas and Mississippi should I consider?
If you do teach at one of the Memphis City Schools, make sure it is a good optional school like Snowden. If you live downtown near UT, then Snowden would be close. Also, the Downtown Elementary School is brand new and has an optional program. The school is mostly black, but everyone needs quality teachers. DeSoto County is only about 20 minutes from downtown.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,611 times
As a Memphis City School teacher, I feel it necessary to respond to this thread. Did someone really say that "the school is mostly black, but everyone needs quality teachers?" I am white and was raised in a completely white school and neighborhood, yet I still find that comment incredibly racist. What does someone's race have to do with anything? I work in a very low income neighborhood and school and absolutely love the faculty, students, and program.

You are supposed to be teaching your students about diversity and accepting everyone no matter who they are, yet you make comments like this. Please, take the advice and stay clear of Memphis City Schools, because we don't want that kind of attitude.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHmemphis View Post
You are supposed to be teaching your students about diversity and accepting everyone no matter who they are, yet you make comments like this. Please, take the advice and stay clear of Memphis City Schools, because we don't want that kind of attitude.

Just to clear things up, I wasn't the one who made the racist comment that offended you so much. I also do not share the same sentiments. I had simply asked for advice on where to try to teach. When people give advice they are free to state their opinions. Just because they give their opinions, does not mean I listen to them.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 PM

247 posts, read 994,206 times
My husband has taught in both City and County schools. Each have their own problems. However, when he was in the city school (and he taught at a optional school) he encountered a lot more headaches. He preferred to teach in the county schools (and they are by no means perfect).

Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 AM

196 posts, read 689,862 times
Check out Tipton county and the Oakland areas.

Tipton county schools are growing rapidly.

Getting a job with Shelby County Schools can be tricky.
I would put in an application for sure, but don't hold your breath.
Unless you have a relatives already working there.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:10 PM

247 posts, read 994,206 times
Just keep in mind that Tipton County Schools do not pay as well as Shelby County or Memphis City.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM

89 posts, read 316,326 times
Memphis City School's Finest... the honor students... got into a big public gang fight at a pizza party in Cordova.

Need you know any more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: