Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What factor will help Memphis turn around the most?
Work to reduce crime 27 25.71%
Invest money into rebranding 4 3.81%
Recruit new jobs 18 17.14%
Reduce foodstamps/goverment assistance 6 5.71%
Invest in education 16 15.24%
Invest in infrastructure/redevelopment 22 20.95%
Other 12 11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
I think the main trouble with consolidation is that the majority of the county residents see little to gain. They would rather pay more and keep their autonomy than let the Memphis proper populous control their county services by sheer numbers.
What exactly would consolidation accomplish? What problems would it solve?

Didn't Nashville try this and then back down to a metro form of government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Memphis has declined as a city that was once know for its culture and heritage. Now with increased crime and population loss, the city is struggling to change its image. What factors are most important for Memphis to turn around?
Education, crime, and poverty are terrible in Memphis. Decent public schools and improved family culture would eventually address the perpetual proverty and crime problems.

Throwing money at public schools without real change is not going to accomplish anything but increase the tax burden for the residents here.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM

473 posts, read 796,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
What exactly would consolidation accomplish? What problems would it solve?

Didn't Nashville try this and then back down to a metro form of government?

I think the theory is that we would see some gains in the form of "economies of scale" so to speak. Less duplication of administration/specialized equipment/etc.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I think the theory is that we would see some gains in the form of "economies of scale" so to speak. Less duplication of administration/specialized equipment/etc.
The last time we saw talk like that, the public schools surrendered their charter and a bunch of schools in the city of Memphis shut down.

I've heard a lot of the same talk about consolidating the governments as well, and I think it will be explored within the next decade.

In the places I've seen a metro form of government, more suburban interests had representation in the urban center. A lot of people in the city didn't like that, and a lot of people in the outskirts of the city did not like paying for services that they didn't benefit from.

I would want the end result to be a more competitive metro region, but I will not back anything that resembles the latest Memphis strategy to shift their liabilities and tax burden onto the suburban areas. I'd have to weigh it based on it's impact to me and the expected benefits. I know that we were looking to upgrade our home within the next few years....I can move to Desoto County easily if I'm not happy with how things are going here.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:20 PM

473 posts, read 796,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
The last time we saw talk like that, the public schools surrendered their charter and a bunch of schools in the city of Memphis shut down.

I've heard a lot of the same talk about consolidating the governments as well, and I think it will be explored within the next decade.

In the places I've seen a metro form of government, more suburban interests had representation in the urban center. A lot of people in the city didn't like that, and a lot of people in the outskirts of the city did not like paying for services that they didn't benefit from.

I would want the end result to be a more competitive metro region, but I will not back anything that resembles the latest Memphis strategy to shift their liabilities and tax burden onto the suburban areas. I'd have to weigh it based on it's impact to me and the expected benefits. I know that we were looking to upgrade our home within the next few years....I can move to Desoto County easily if I'm not happy with how things are going here.

Just to clarify, I am in no way pro-consolidation giving the current state that exists. To me consolidation works better when either both entities are roughly comparable in stability or one is noticably larger and stable. Here, the larger entity is in no way as stable as the smaller entity.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify, I am in no way pro-consolidation giving the current state that exists. To me consolidation works better when either both entities are roughly comparable in stability or one is noticably larger and stable. Here, the larger entity is in no way as stable as the smaller entity.
I agree. It will probably be a scheme to shoulder the entire county with Memphis liabilities and tax burden.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 AM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I agree that it will never happen here, unless the city and county governments merge. If that happens, there may be enough votes to get a Conservative mayor in office. I don't agree with your comment that it will never work for any major city. There are large cities with Republican mayors, and I bet many of them are doing better than Memphis. Like I said, Memphis has a culture problem. Memphis voters are uneducated and literally incapable of choosing someone who will actually help them. Many (not all) are more concerned with what someone looks like or their name.

True, leadership is definitely needed here. I added Conservative into the mix because this city desperately needs to save money and stop spending money we don't have while owing money elsewhere. There is a lot of waste and bloat here.
Who the Hell are you to say that? if anything that shows your own deep ignorance I'm not from Memphis but I've seen that condescending and dare I add racist type of attitude before.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

410 posts, read 802,784 times
I know Memphis has it's share of issues. Yes the school system debacle, the separate governments, crime, etc. Most American big cities have their problems. I guess you could just pick the one city who offers the least on your problem list. Look, I know Memphis isn't perfect, but as a life long Memphian, I've seen positive changes, many!

Just to start, the bicycle lanes and green line have put Memphis as a top biking city. While some may scoff as this as a waste of money, speaking of WAIST, get out and ride a bike. A great way to better health.

Anyone remember back a few years when National Geographic ranked Memphis one of the top 30 places to visit in the world? Laugh if you must, but National Geographic sees in us what many locals refuse to see. It's not just about Elvis. It's about the Home place of the blues. Beale Street is where the Mississippi musicians came to play. Now it's a place to hang, eat, drink and meet really cool people from all over the globe. And while we're on to music, how many cities can boast Sun Studios, known world wide and don't forget about Stax with a one of a kind soul music found no where else. Detroit is close, but Motown and Stax are the heart of soul!

There is so much going for this city. The Grizz are such a great addition. Other class sporting events are the Southern Heritage Classic and and the Liberty Bowl annual NCAA Football bowl game. If you've never seen a PGA golf tournament, then check out the FedEx St Jude over at Southwind. The atmosphere is second to none. Keep in mind the Redbirds with that award winning stadium downtown.

Speaking of St Jude, Danny Thomas had a dream and it has become a place children go to get better. It's class all the way. As for dreams, Martin Luther King had one and if you've not been to the National Civil Rights museum, go! A big high 5 goes to the Memphis Zoo. It's a top 5 ranked Zoo in America!

Food! Besides being the capital of the greatest bbq in the world: Pork, this city has seen a growth of great restaurants. Check out the new Overton Square which almost connects to Cooper Young. Great food, great party time!

There's so much more, but I know I've already bored you to tears. But next time you're bored, hop downtown and take a look at the Mightly Mississippi River and then turn around and see the great city of Memphis resting comfortably on it's bluff.

Memphis is My Hometown!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 AM

62 posts, read 112,471 times
The last thing Memphis should do is rebrand. In a country that has SO many cities that all look and feel the same, Memphis sticks out like a sore thumb. IMO it has the most potential of any city in the Deep South. I think a lot of their issues can solved in time with better leadership and community engagement.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
Who the Hell are you to say that? if anything that shows your own deep ignorance I'm not from Memphis but I've seen that condescending and dare I add racist type of attitude before.
I've lived in Memphis my entire life, and I was a Memphis homeowner before moving to a suburb after being annexed. As you said, you aren't from the Memphis area, so I'm not sure why you bothered posting. I also didn't say anything racist.

I'm not one of these people that constantly bashes Memphis. I think there are great things here in Memphis that you won't find anywhere else. That being said, I stand by my previous post about Memphians not voting in the most qualified candidates. Some Memphians vote for candidates based on their last name or what they look like. Look up the Ford family in Memphis, and there's no logical reason why Willie Herenton remained mayor for so long unless you consider what he looks like. It's the same reason that 96% of one demographic voted for Barack Obama, while other demographics were evenly split. It wasn't because they thought he was the most qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis