Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,320,565 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with this last post, that in Memphis white people are the minority. In the burbs maybe not, but in Memphis city, I believe it's about 80% black.

Everyday there is something on the news about the suburban high schools having gang problems, drug problems, fights, etc. I can't think of specifics right now, but I know I've heard even the best mentioned (Houston). I think this is a problem with public schools everywhere, but especially around here. In my opinion, if you want to be assured your kids are getting a good education and are safe at school, you have to send them to private. Kids can get in with the wrong crowd even if they go to a private school, but you can pretty much bet that thug parents aren't sending their thug children to a $10,000 a year high school.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 AM

23 posts, read 125,577 times
Default Two Words>germantown Parkway

The growth of that area is unreal. Basically no charm. Just another interstate town. seen one seen them all. Collierville would be much much better

Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM

8 posts, read 30,913 times
I've lived in Cordova for 7 years. I moved here before we were annexed by the city of Memphis. Initially upon annexation, I'd say our property values dropped. However, since housing values have gone up so much in Germantown and Collierville, home prices in Cordova are rising as well. Not as much as Germantown or Collierville, but still increasing in value. The cost of constructing a new home has also gone up, and dragged existing home prices with it.

My youngest child attended Cordova High School. He was the last class to graduate from Cordova when it was still a county school. He did get a good education. Tested in the 98th percentile, is currently working on his PhD. Yes there was a drug problem, but not as much of a drug problem as Houston in Germantown where my older children went for high school.

I'll admit to never locking my door at night and feeling totally safe at night doing so. I live on a very quiet cove with some wonderful neighbors. I haven't seen any increase in crime, no vandalism in my neighborhood, no gang activity ( I grew up in Chicago, I've SEEN gang activity).

Cordova presents a good value for the dollar. We're seeing more young families moving in, they can afford a much bigger nicer home in Cordova than in Germantown or Collierville. The proximity to shopping and expressways and restaurants makes it so convenient for those that want or need that.

To me the biggest problem with Cordova is the reputation that it's receiving from a few disenchanted people. Cordova is still a good place to live, it's all in what you make of it.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 PM

201 posts, read 1,066,835 times
I completely agree with you Cordovamom. In fact, in rereading these posts, I noticed a typo in my last reponse. My house in on the market for $50K than what I paid for it 4 yrs ago. I am in the heart of what is considered "Germandova". The market is a little slow but I think that is everywhere right now.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,414 times
Default Wow.

Wow.

If the comments here reflect the types of people who live in your 'safe' communities outside of Memphis, I'm happy to continue to 'take my chances' in Midtown. You see, in Midtown we have real culture, real restaurants, real beauty, real trees, real homes, real people, real parks, real Memphis, and yes, real problems. None that are insurmountable, though, and a very active and effective neighborhood association (Cooper Young Community Association) to help us affect positive changes, regularly.

It seems, at least on the surface, that many here are just looking for the 'safe bet' in terms of home value and appreciation. This makes sense, especially for those who know that they'll be moving on in less than five years or so. The rest of the rants here are so pathetically laced with thinly-veiled racist remarks and sopohomoric armchair value-analyses that they boggle the imagination. PLEASE take your lame selves out to Colliervegas, PLEASE do your socializing in Germantown, FOR GOD'S SAKE keep your narrow mindedness out of my town. PLEASE spare us midtowners the pain of your holier-than-thou (and thou, and thou...) attitude.

Here's the real deal, brought to you by an understanding father of two, who lives in Midtown:

You can either spend your money on BOTH a higher home payment AND private schools out East (e.g. Coll. G'Town, wherever else) and spend virtually all of your time commuting to Midtown/Downtown to do anything fun or 'non-plastic', or you can invest in a well-built, old-growth-tree-shaded home in Midtown within walking distance to Museums, Parks, eclectic shops and restaurants, music and theatre venues, and tons of other beneficial amenities, and pay a reasonable home payment and opt for paying for private school - or have the option to attend some very well run (and taught) public schools.

We send our kids to a great 'magnet' school inside the city of Memphis, a non-private (gasp!) institution within the Memphis City Schools program. They love it, they are learning plenty - and are well ahead of schedule in terms of development. Most of their success stems not from a 'protected' environment or all-one-color classmates, as many of you here seem to seek, but from proper home-involvement and parenting and child rearing - something you just can't pay for in escrow, sorry. We can afford any school we would choose to send our kids to, but we CHOSE to help them function in the real world by exposing them to real people and situations while they are young. Sure, we might transition them to private school later on, it might make sense at that time based on a million factors that are as yet undetermined. We keep our minds and our options open that way - as do most reasonable people.

If it's Memphis-bashing you want, have at it. I am very happy and satisfied with my home and my neighborhood, and my property values are going up, up, up. But please don't profess your 'smarts' for avoiding one potential problem by inviting many others. Who knows? Maybe some of you really like the urban-sprawl thing, the low-profile, new curbs, 'nice community' thing. Knock yourselves out, my friend, the white-flight builders have you in their crosshairs. As you sit in gridlock east-bound traffic everyday on Nonconnah or Poplar or Walnut Grove, late to pick up Buffy and Chet from the private school, consider this: My kids are walking home from school with a group of their friends and perhaps one of the neighbors who volunteers as walk-home-chaperone twice a week. I'll be home in 15 minutes versus your 50+. When I get home, we might walk to the corner for dinner at a nice privately-owned and locally-managed restaurant. Along the way, we'll speak to ALL of our neighbors, not just those who wear similar clothes, or look like us.

We like our city. If you don't, please leave - or better yet - take a job somewhere else where you can live in your utopian society of corruption-free government, free services, zero crime, and fresh-baked pies delivered by June Cleaver next door. Oh yeah, and where all of Wally and Beav's friend are (whew!) white. Thank God. You know those other 'elements' are appearing just everywhere these days.

For the rest of you, unless you are buying homes on the spot-market just to flip them for a profit, shame on you. It is the kind of rediculous self-imporant drivel contained in this forum that gives our city some of it's unwarranted reputation.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,705,322 times
Not only is that brilliantly written, it's brutally accurate. I spent 5 wonderful years in Memphis. The three years I spent in Midtown (Central Gardens) were absolutely wonderful, and it wasn't until I moved to East Memphis that I experienced crime and uncaring neighbors. I would not hesitate to move back to Memphis, and if I did, I would insist on living in Midtown again.

And how pitiful is this: I've been known to drive all the way from Knoxville back to Memphis just to eat some BBQ shrimp on the patio at Café Olé.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
I am moving to Oakland because it is affordable. I have no children and I do not mind the drive to work. I love midtown, it's just not in my budget.
The big problem with Cordova is the over developement. Builders overestimated demand.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 PM

7 posts, read 16,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown View Post
We like our city. If you don't, please leave - or better yet - take a job somewhere else where you can live in your utopian society of corruption-free government, free services, zero crime, and fresh-baked pies delivered by June Cleaver next door. Oh yeah, and where all of Wally and Beav's friend are (whew!) white. Thank God. You know those other 'elements' are appearing just everywhere these days.
Don't worry, I will. Moving to Memphis was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. You can stay in your dirty, corrupt, crime ridden city for all I care. BTW, Midtowners wouldn't know 'culture' if it bit them on the ass. IMHO, the best way to improve Memphis involves nuclear detonation.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 AM

29 posts, read 96,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
IMHO, the best way to improve Memphis involves nuclear detonation.
....thats mature.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 PM

376 posts, read 1,772,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishl View Post
I am moving to Oakland because it is affordable. I have no children and I do not mind the drive to work. I love midtown, it's just not in my budget.
The big problem with Cordova is the over developement. Builders overestimated demand.
How can Oakland be any more affordable than Midtown? I see great houses on nice streets for sale for around $130k in Midtown all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis