Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM

77 posts, read 83,309 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 YO female moving to Memphis with my company. My company is located in Cordova, but I travel for work 3-4 nights so proximity to Cordova is unimportant.

I hear downtown and midtown are good options. HOWEVER, I'd like to stay within $800 for a 1 bedroom because I'm traveling so much. I'd like a safe area (with grocery stores nearby) but that isn't too far from the 'flair' of Memphis. I really don't want to pay $1,000+ for somewhere if I'm rarely there.

Does anyone have any suggestions within this budget? I surely don't want a dump or an unsafe area. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:07 PM

737 posts, read 1,907,607 times
I would suggest the island. However, there is no major grocery store in that area - you'd have to drive maybe 10-15 minutes to one. But a lot of people in Memphis have to drive that distance to get to an acceptable store, so that's not unheard of here. There is a small grocery store on the island, but it's a bit more pricey (Miss Cordelia's). A nice quaint place though. I think you could probably get a small 1 bedroom somewhere in the apartment complexes there. Riverset is the oldest and probably has the cheapest prices. The island is very safe. It is also near downtown, but still a drive away. It has a lot of young professionals who work downtown but don't want to be IN the mix of bars and all that. You'd also be close to the interstate so you could get out to Cordova, plus you'd be going the opposite way of most traffic thus not have commute issues. Here's some links:

Riverset Apartments | Apartments in Memphis, TN

Island Park and Harbor Town Square Apartments in Memphis, TN 38103

The Estates at River Pointe Apartments in Memphis, TN 38103

About - Arbors Harbor Town Apartments - Arbors Harbor Town - Memphis - TN

Belle Harbour Apartments in Memphis, TN 38103

Midtown is cheaper and has more options, but it's hard to pinpoint a really safe place. A lot of midtown is "safe" but not like mud island. Midtown has a lot of vagrants and bums milling about, and a significant amount of petty crime - the island has none of that. It's very hard to find a place in midtown if you aren't familiar with the city and are strictly wanting somewhere very safe as a single female.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Some of the places I called and they didn't have availability. I believe Bell Harbour was about $1,100 however. I will continue to look around. You gave excellent advice. Thank you again!!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM

People also rent small homes on the island (most likely more than $1000 though) and also sublet apartments and condos. If you really think that area is for you, check out Craigslist and other sites to see if people are renting homes/condos in your budget.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM

This was posted yesterday...

https://memphis.craigslist.org/apa/4602872251.html

Old 08-05-2014, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
I had the same question, except I'm 22! Evergreen Historic District is a nice area, right? I want to live in Midtown but I'm so lost.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Evergreen is in midtown. Pretty much all of midtown is hit or miss. You can have a great street, then one street over isn't very good. It's impossible to give broad recommendations on midtown. Evergreen has some milion dollar homes. It also has some slummy homes.

I think the consensus on here has been, if you find a midtown rental that you are interested in, go ahead and post the address or nearby intersection on here for people to give opinions about the street.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,116,189 times
Yup, I agree -- post the address of something and we can offer our opinions.

To the OP, another good option would be East Memphis, around Poplar/Mendenhall, Poplar/White Station. This area is close to good groceries (Whole Foods, Fresh Market, the best Krogers in the area), close to Midtown, close to shopping out east. Pretty centrally located if you're traveling the metro for work. Not very close to downtown, though.

The Sea Isle neighborhood in East Memphis usually offers decent rentals, safe neighborhood, and good access.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 PM

173 posts, read 441,657 times
For security purposes, just as a habit, I wouldn't post addresses, but definitely the nearest intersections. An internet precaution, not a cd-specific precaution.

While East Memphis doesn't have the walkability of other areas, it's starting to buzz with a sprawly sort of nightlife. Some of the best restaurants/shops in the country have opened up over there (Muddy's Bakery, Hog and Hominy and the Brookhaven Circle restaurants, steak "row," all are very popular with young professionals and part of the "flair" of the New Memphis). But if you're downtown, Harbortown or South Main you're definitely in the midst of it there as well.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and to CristenS! I called and set up an appointment for when I'll be in town. I'll look into East Memphis and Poplar as well. I don't have to be close to Cordova. Ideally, I'd like to live in a SAFE area where I can still go out for fun w/o having to drive 30+ minutes. Thank you all again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis