Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 26,540 times

Advertisements

I just came from pennsylvania for 3 months (short term). My Inspection is going to expiring in Jan 2008. I will stay here till Feb 2008. Now I am staying in Memphis city.

What is the procedure to do inspection for my vehicle ? How do I get new tag ? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
If you are only going to be here for 3 months, why waste so much time and money getting TN license plates? I don't even know if you CAN do that if you are not a permenant resident of TN.

The inspections in Memphis are solely for Memphis...meaning, our inspections are not NEARLY as thourough as what people in say, California have to have. So I would doubt that an inspection here would be sufficient for PA plates.

Why can't you just renew your PA tags early? Or....I guess you are already here. I'd just call the office in PA and ask them.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
[quote=MemphisVisitor;2345219]I just came from pennsylvania for 3 months (short term). My Inspection is going to expiring in Jan 2008. I will stay here till Feb 2008. Now I am staying in Memphis city.

What is the procedure to do inspection for my vehicle ? How do I get new tag ? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance[/quote}

I believe you would just register your car in your home state for the 2008 year as though you were living there still. For purposes of the state of Tennessee, lviing here til February would simply be an extended vacation. Will you be going back to your home state? If so, you'd simply re-register your vehicle there.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 26,540 times
I just registred my vehicle for 2008 in Sep. I came here in Dec. I don't know, Can I roam around the city with expired sticker?

Will it possible to inspect my vehicle here with PA title? I will be back after Feb to PA...

Share ideas

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM

I think you need to call your home state and ask there, we are not going to have the answer for you. This is a PA thing, not a TN thing.

If you have expired tags, you will get pulled over. Especially with out of state plates, that will look suspicious. I've been pulled over a couple times for expired tags (my tags were stolen off the plate, I didn't let them expire, FYI )

All you do is show up at an inspection station and wait in line. But again, they will give you a Memphis City inspection paper, that you then have to turn in to the Memphis City clerk's office to get TN tags. And given that you do not have a license plate, you would have to go through the entire process of claiming residence and getting plates, the tags, etc. They will not give you tags if you are a PA resident with PA plates.

Call the clerk's office (or whoever does it) in your home town and explain the situation to them.

Wait...if you just registered your car for 2008 and you'll only be here for 3 months...what is the problem??

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisVisitor View Post
I just registred my vehicle for 2008 in Sep. I came here in Dec. I don't know, Can I roam around the city with expired sticker?

Will it possible to inspect my vehicle here with PA title? I will be back after Feb to PA...

Share ideas
If you registered your car in September, how will the sticker be expired? Wouldn't it be good until September, 08? Do they not do yearly registration in Pennsylvania?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
If you are only going to be here for 3 months, why waste so much time and money getting TN license plates? I don't even know if you CAN do that if you are not a permenant resident of TN.

The inspections in Memphis are solely for Memphis...meaning, our inspections are not NEARLY as thourough as what people in say, California have to have. So I would doubt that an inspection here would be sufficient for PA plates.

Why can't you just renew your PA tags early? Or....I guess you are already here. I'd just call the office in PA and ask them.
You don't need inspection stickers here. All you need is a tag on your license plate that is valid.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM

But you can't get tags on your car until you have proof of inspection. So, having a tag on your car means that it has been inspected, if you live in Memphis city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
You don't need inspection stickers here. All you need is a tag on your license plate that is valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: