Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:37 PM

129 posts, read 304,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOtiose View Post
Your story is about what you did and saw... The Peabody is nothing but a tourist trap as many other sites in your adventure.

Did you feel the pain in the eyes of the poor? By that, did you visit the slums, that the City Council hides from the sight of out of town visitors?
Your dad the sheriff, should have loaned you a protection device.
This is crime city.
Those "tourist traps" bring a lot of attention and money to Memphis. I'm sure that every tourist vacationing in a city has the "slums" as number 1 on their list of things to do. She was here as a tourist, doing touristy things - not taking a hospitality tour into the run down areas. Sure, if that is the reason someone wanted to visit Memphis, I'm sure they could find their fair share of depressed areas, but this girl is sharing her positive experience in this city. I know it's hard for some people to accept and embrace that not everyone that lives or visits here hates it. Memphis has it's charm and tourists are pulled in by that. It's a historical city, good or bad. Please don't be put off by people like this guy. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 973 times
Living DT is nice, even though is was a hike to Primacy fer shure! well for a while

Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
I visited Memphis two weeks ago for the first time in my life. I am a native Tennessean from the northeastern park of the state. I liked it! I thought the people were incredibly friendly and hospitable. I actually thought they were more so than in the Nashville metro where I live now.

I look forward to visiting again.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Nice note, MetropolitanTN. I moved to Memphis from the Tri-Cities area. I loved Memphis and thought there were many cultural similarities between Memphis and northeast Tennesseeans/Appalachians. I'm not a big fan of Nashville (other than the Cheesecake Factory and Container Store), but Memphis always appealed to me as an authentic city full of hospitable people, opportunity if you were willing to find it, and a reasonable cost of living.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:19 PM

410 posts, read 802,784 times
Glad you had a nice time. Memphis has a lot to offer. Come back again.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 PM

173 posts, read 443,880 times
Glad to hear your perspective and that everyone enjoyed themselves!

Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Memphis always seems to get picked on by the rest of TN, granted its not as safe as Nashville but its a great city. I have been to Memphis many times, I am a huge Elvis fan. I have been to Graceland over a dozen times and I love Memphis. It is a safe city if you have common sense and don't look for trouble. The BBQ and food in general in Memphis is really good but they do need to get a Pancake Pantry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: