Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 19,208 times

Advertisements

hahahahaaha, you guys are killin me......seriously though, Memphis is definitely not the safest place to raise a family, but it's also by FAR not the worst. I have lived in memphis my whole life I have been held up at gunpoint( I was working in a restaraunt and they were breakin in for the money in the safe, didn't take a dime of Any of the servers money, HA.) And i would say probably about 35% of the people I know here have had some type of run in with some type of crime, either burglary or even cd players stolen out of their vehicles. But there is crime EVERYWHERE. And I can assure you, if you ever have a gun held to your head you don't care if your in memphis, crossville, austin, seattle, bucksnort........statistics all go out the window when YOUR the one lookin down the barrel, but that sadly is a part of life

Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 PM

62 posts, read 159,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtownbound View Post
....But there is crime EVERYWHERE.....
Some one types this every other post.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 18,117 times
Default I live in Cordova, Tennessee

I live in Cordova, Tennessee within walking distance to Shelby Farms and approximately 2 miles from an Elementary & Middle School both of which my two sons attended and they are COUNTY SCHOOLS not city, nor do they have a bond deal with the city like Cordova High School had to where they would become a city school after so many years. Bartlett High School is where entering 9th graders go to school beginning in the fall of 2007.

I grew up in Memphis and graduated from White Station High School and yes, there have been many changes in the last 32 years as with any city it's size. Crime is not just in the Memphis area. Mississippi and Arkansas have their share as well so I would not recommend either of them. If you're going to have crime, which you are anywhere you go, why pay STATE INCOME TAX on top of FEDERAL TAX to get it?? Tennessee has no state income tax. You have to decide for yourself.

My neighborhood of 7+ years in Cordova has been extremely safe. I don't hear about people getting broken into, home invasions, etc..... like in Germantown where there have been several home invasions in the last couple of weeks. Check out crime for zip code 38018(Cordova) and compare it to zip codes 38125(Germantown) and 38671 & 38672(Southaven, MS). You can contact the Memphis Police Department, Shelby County Sheriff's Office and/or Southaven Police as well as any areas local law enforcement. You will get honest answers about crime in the area in which you want to live.

Cordova is central to everything in the Memphis area, especially where I live. I am 2 miles from the interstate that will take me anywhere in the city in 20 or less minutes. My neighborhood is small and quiet. I feel safe here. I have never felt unsafe and I have lived alone for the last 1+ years as my sons are now grown. I love Cordova!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:41 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordovares View Post
I live in Cordova, Tennessee within walking distance to Shelby Farms and approximately 2 miles from an Elementary & Middle School both of which my two sons attended and they are COUNTY SCHOOLS not city, nor do they have a bond deal with the city like Cordova High School had to where they would become a city school after so many years. Bartlett High School is where entering 9th graders go to school beginning in the fall of 2007.

I grew up in Memphis and graduated from White Station High School and yes, there have been many changes in the last 32 years as with any city it's size. Crime is not just in the Memphis area. Mississippi and Arkansas have their share as well so I would not recommend either of them. If you're going to have crime, which you are anywhere you go, why pay STATE INCOME TAX on top of FEDERAL TAX to get it?? Tennessee has no state income tax. You have to decide for yourself.

My neighborhood of 7+ years in Cordova has been extremely safe. I don't hear about people getting broken into, home invasions, etc..... like in Germantown where there have been several home invasions in the last couple of weeks. Check out crime for zip code 38018(Cordova) and compare it to zip codes 38125(Germantown) and 38671 & 38672(Southaven, MS). You can contact the Memphis Police Department, Shelby County Sheriff's Office and/or Southaven Police as well as any areas local law enforcement. You will get honest answers about crime in the area in which you want to live.

Cordova is central to everything in the Memphis area, especially where I live. I am 2 miles from the interstate that will take me anywhere in the city in 20 or less minutes. My neighborhood is small and quiet. I feel safe here. I have never felt unsafe and I have lived alone for the last 1+ years as my sons are now grown. I love Cordova!
Germantown zip codes are 38138 and 38139.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM

70 posts, read 300,707 times
You can check with the Shelby County Sheriff regarding neighborhood crime statistics.

Shelby County Sheriff's Office - Home Page

In addition, it is good to check with individual police departments regarding crime statistics. I do know that the Collierville police department has national accredidation through CALEA. Most area police departments have their own websites.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,606 times
Default Shelby County?

If you want a rural lifestyle but with the jobs and activities of Memphis then your best bet would probably be Millington, Arlington, or Tipton County- just north of Shelby. Little crime, especially compared to Memphis. The worst out of the three areas in crime is probably Millington because of its proximity to North Memphis( SCARY)
Millington is a town of about 10,000 and has a wonderful state park-Meeman Shelby Forest State Park. The area around the park is very rural and forested rather than alot of farmland. Very affordable housing market. Also, some new apartments just went up and they are pretty nice and I havent heard anything bad about them. Short commute- only about 15-20 min. to downtown probably. Unfortunatly, Millington probably has the WORST schools in the county (rough-not so much dangerous- Millington recieves the butt-end of the county's budget it seems), but some fantastic private school options are availible.
Arlington is smaller but has some of the best schools in the county, with a new, huge high school.
If you like rural- Tipton County has all you can handle! Great little towns and fantastic schools. I know alot of people are moving there from shelby county just for the schools!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,753 times
Germantown is safe, however the Southwind area connects to Hacks Cross and Winchester. That's not good, since Winchester Rd. leads to Hickory Hill. (known as "Hickory Hood.") The Kroger at Hacks Cross/Winchester (1/2 block from Southwind) was held up by 4 masked men with guns, last year and also, Several Banks have been held up at that intersection. The news has covered the fact that the area seems to be a hot spot for crime. Crime usually stays low in Germantown, however, since there is a large police force and the criminal activity seems to originate off of Winchester Rd.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 8,337 times
Millington is in shelby County. The crime is low and the area is growing. There are some new apartments here in town as well as a walmart, chili's, starbucks and most all of the fast food eateries.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM

21 posts, read 243,734 times
Honestly stay away from memphis entierly. live in the northern towns in ms (southaven,horn lake,olive branch) The crime rate is very low compared to memphis and its only about 10 min away.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM

88 posts, read 201,188 times
The police website will let you choose the crime i.e. homicide , rape etc down to 1/4 of a mile of your zip code think about that and tell me if thats not horrible. I hate Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis