Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

I know "where should I live" questions come up all the time on this forum but I searched and wasn't able to find any relating to my situation. I will appreciate any help from TN experts on this forum.

We are a 20's couple moving to TN for a job located in Brownsville. The other one of us will likely have to find a job in the Memphis area. According to Google maps Brownsville is well over an hour away from Memphis. We plan on enjoying the outdoors as much as possible moving here from a much colder northern climate. We also enjoy "going out" on the town every now and then.

With all this information it seems to me like we want to find an apartment in a perfect location somewhere in between Memphis and Brownsville. Knowing us we want to be close enough to enjoy all the amenities of a big city like Memphis but we obviously don't want a crazy work commute to Brownsville. Bonus if area is near parks and is safe.

Can you guys offer us some suggestions as where we should look for an apartment? I am having issues pinpointing good towns/areas of where to focus my search. budget will be 800-900 per month.

Thanks to any that help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,983,922 times
You might try Covington TN. It's 30 minutes or so from Brownsville...and 30-45 minutes to Memphis' northern suburbs (Milllington, Bartlett).

Arlington would probably be ideal, but I don't recall any apartments there, although there is a new complex being built near the corner of Airline Rd and Milton Wilson Road. I doubt that those will be in your price range.

Somerville has some older apartments that would probably be in your price range, but I don't know about the availability.

Could you find a job in Jackson instead of Memphis? If so, that's puts you about 30 minutes or less from Brownsville...but you'll still be about an hour from Memphis.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 PM

263 posts, read 612,004 times
So no matter which direction you go, Brownsville is 30-40 miles from the nearest decently-sized Memphis suburb/community. In the Memphis area, you might want to look at Arlington, Lakeland, Oakland, Atoka, and Munford. If the Jackson area is a possibility, you may want at Jackson itself or Medina.

Either direction, you'll have a long--but easy--commute on I-40.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM

737 posts, read 1,910,061 times
If it were me, I'd rather live in the Memphis area and commute to Brownsville. I think you'd be bored to death if you are in your 20's and live out in the middle of no-where. (Unless you specifically like the slow life.) The drive would be much easier, because you'd be going the opposite way of traffic both times of day. If it's normally 40 minutes to drive west into the suburbs, then you can add a ton of time to that during rush hour, in addition to getting further into Memphis if you worked in town. There is nonstop construction on the interstates out that way that backs up traffic every day, plus the usual wrecks and such. I second the suggestion to live in Arlington. Looks like that's a 40 minute drive to Brownsville, not including traffic.

I saw these, they don't look very pretty though: Maco Management Company, Inc. --- Residential Management

What might be better, depending on your budget, is to rent a house. The further out of town you get, the cheaper renting a house will be.

$750: 5739 Logan Cv, Arlington, TN 38002 is For Rent - Zillow
$1350: 4939 Knob Creek Trl, Arlington, TN 38002 is For Rent - Zillow
$1600: 5945 Chester St, Arlington, TN 38002 is For Rent - Zillow
$970: 2734 Virginia Woods Pl- Reduced Price - Move-in ready
$1275: 3 Bedroom / 2 Bath home for Rent in January

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,363 times
Thanks for the replies. This is what I was afraid of, there is no perfect solution. We can raise our budget a little bit I was being conservative so hopefully that will help and we will expand our search to houses as well.

Thanks for the names of cities to look at, (especially Arlington area) that will help us alot. I will check out the Jackson area as well but I think we definitely want to be near metro-memphis.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 AM

473 posts, read 793,524 times
Like CristenS said, Arlington has an older apartment complex closer to Hwy 70 called Arlington Manor, but I have always been under the impression it is not so nice.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM

737 posts, read 1,910,061 times
No, I would not want to be near Jackson either. There is such a major difference between Memphis and Jackson. Some would say in a bad way, some would say good. To me, Jackson is like stepping back in time, nothing to do, very old school thinking, just not a friendly, open minded, cultured area. Memphis (as hard as it is to believe sometimes!) is much, much more open minded and welcoming to 'outsiders' and has a lot of diversity.

I'm sure you can find a rental home for cheaper outside of Arlington - Arlington is one of the "hot" places to move to now, especially with the new school districts. But, if you were to get something in the next county over, it would be cheaper for sure (Fayette, Tipton). May help to look online at local newspapers or even call a local realtor for advice.

One example:

Townhome/Duplex

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,983,922 times
Arlington might be ideal, but you might find more houses in your price range in nearby Oakland....

Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM

410 posts, read 799,853 times
Hello. Probably the most mid place(roughly) between Memphis and Brownsville using I-40 as your main travel would be Arlington. The drive to Brownsville would be about 40 minutes depending on speed( looked up a different route and the map suggests using 79). From Arlington to Midtown Memphis would be oh maybe 35 minutes. You can get to the Wolfchase area quicker if you are wanting to shop till you drop.

Unfortunately there isn't a perfect world from Brownsville to Memphis. You can find a middle ground that should work fine. I recommend you come to town and spend a day or so driving to and fro and see what works best for you.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,131 times
Moving to area for employment at Whiteville prison. Would like to live in Bolivar or Brownsville. Need apt or home to rent. Anyone know anything about either of these
areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis