Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 AM

410 posts, read 800,485 times

Advertisements

I lived for 10 years south of Poplar in Germantown. My kids loved going to Germantown Middle and High School. When we sold our home, it took 4 months, but we did very well. I still say live where you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1229 View Post
Be careful listening to some of these comments. There are some very nice properties south of Poplar Avenue, down on the east and west of Byhalia Road. Some nice places and it is a growing area with the rebuild of Byhalia Road. A new huge park is going in that area along Holmes Road, west of Byhalia Road. All to many people only know south of the tracks as the immediate area south of the tracks, but there as well there are some nice homes and zero lot homes. Some very nice Zero lots going into the area east of the Town Square and they will start in the high $370,000 area. Take a ride west of Byhalia Road on Holmes Road or Shelby Drive, or even Collierville Road, and you will see some amazing places to live. Take a ride east of the square on Washing street and see the new lots being developed there as well.
I think this is a very accurate post. There are a lot of nice homes and neighborhoods South of Poplar in Collierville, but there is a rough area near the Town Square and the streets intersecting Hwy 72 after it splits from Poplar Ave (Hwy 57).
There are also some really nice areas of Germantown that are South of Poplar and the railroad tracks. Germantown and Collierville are pretty much the same as far as schools and government go, but I think younger families are flocking to Collierville for the newer homes. A lot of Germantown homes need some updating because they've been around for a while.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 AM

680 posts, read 1,031,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM385 View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a home in collierville. I've lived in germantown since birth and have rented in Collierville for the past 3 years. I'm noticing that homes North of Poplar in collierville are a lot for expensive and less square footage. And homes South of Poplar for example off Byhalia Rd. are cheaper and you get more house for the price. Is there an advantage to buying North of Poplar as far as location, schools and selling? Would love to figure this out so I can focus my search more. Thanks for any responses!
I'm not sure of a stigma like that. I think there are a lot of newer homes south of 385 that were constructed just as the real estate crisis was heating up, but the inventory all over Collierville has tightened up significantly over the past 4-5 years. Market demands are driving them to build houses down there again. Most listings seem to move pretty quickly.

In two years, all homes in Collierville will be zoned to Collierville High exclusively. As of now, Collierville High is actually the highest ranked public high school in the entire region, and among the top 10 in the state of Tennessee. The town is planning on building a new, state of the art High School campus that will include all athletic and academic facilities at one location. This campus will almost certainly be located south of highway 385, as there are very few suitable sites that large north of Poplar.

Collierville is also developing (albeit slowly) a massive new recreation area called Hinton Park which will be off Fleming. Construction on Byhalia Commons (retail, grocery, and condos) will be underway before the end of the year.

There are actually a lot of amenities in the works south of highway 385 that I think will drive up property values significantly in the next 5-15 years. As it is right now, there are 150+ higher end R1 and R2 sized residential lots over several different developments that are making their way through the city permit and planning process. There are also a number of estate sized lots that are 5+ acres if you desire room for horses or other large animals....those kinds of homes are rare north of Poplar unless you go way up into Collierville reserve area north of Wolf River.

If you want something closer to the town square, there are several new, smaller "in fill" developments in the works that offer very nice, very high quality homes....but they can be a little pricey. The Town Square is a great amenity and it is very nice to be within walking or at least biking distance from there.

I currently live north of Poplar, but I'd have no reservations about buying a home south of Poplar within the city limits of Collierville. I'm very impressed with the local leadership in Collierville even though I am concerned about the Memphis metro as a whole.

Last edited by tigerphan; 02-02-2015 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 02:19 PM

12 posts, read 12,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
I'm not sure of a stigma like that. I think there are a lot of newer homes south of 385 that were constructed just as the real estate crisis was heating up, but the inventory all over Collierville has tightened up significantly over the past 4-5 years. Market demands are driving them to build houses down there again. Most listings seem to move pretty quickly.

In two years, all homes in Collierville will be zoned to Collierville High exclusively. As of now, Collierville High is actually the highest ranked public high school in the entire region, and among the top 10 in the state of Tennessee. The town is planning on building a new, state of the art High School campus that will include all athletic and academic facilities at one location. This campus will almost certainly be located south of highway 385, as there are very few suitable sites that large north of Poplar.

Collierville is also developing (albeit slowly) a massive new recreation area called Hinton Park which will be off Fleming. Construction on Byhalia Commons (retail, grocery, and condos) will be underway before the end of the year.

There are actually a lot of amenities in the works south of highway 385 that I think will drive up property values significantly in the next 5-15 years. As it is right now, there are 150+ higher end R1 and R2 sized residential lots over several different developments that are making their way through the city permit and planning process. There are also a number of estate sized lots that are 5+ acres if you desire room for horses or other large animals....those kinds of homes are rare north of Poplar unless you go way up into Collierville reserve area north of Wolf River.

If you want something closer to the town square, there are several new, smaller "in fill" developments in the works that offer very nice, very high quality homes....but they can be a little pricey. The Town Square is a great amenity and it is very nice to be within walking or at least biking distance from there.

I currently live north of Poplar, but I'd have no reservations about buying a home south of Poplar within the city limits of Collierville. I'm very impressed with the local leadership in Collierville even though I am concerned about the Memphis metro as a whole.
Thank you for this. Hopefully this does clear up some of the rumors south of 385. I just bought 2 acres, within the city limits and about to build our dream home here. Can't do that north of 385 without going into Collierville Reserve or paying lots of $$$.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 AM

28 posts, read 77,856 times
Our realtor actually said the same thing to us. We moved here last year. She said it was best to stay north of the tracks. ha ha

Old 06-24-2015, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 12,504 times
Such a shame, maybe that will change with the new school being built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis