U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM

775 posts, read 1,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Where is it alcohol-free on the bluff? I've always seen beer guys walking thru the bluff selling, and it seems like almost everyone is drinking out there.

I didn't go to a game last season though - did it recently go this way?
The last time I sat on the bluff several years ago, it was advertised as "family-friendly" - no smoking, no drinking, etc. It may have changed. We haven't sat on the bluff in several years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 PM

187 posts, read 415,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
One thing that also makes the Redbirds family-oriented is that they do have an alcohol-free area on the Bluffs so that a family atmosphere is maintained. They're also very involved with the community in terms of community events at games. For example, when they have special nights for different organizations, we have received seriously discounted tickets for the event to encourage attendance. When our organization was offered a night with the Grizzlies, the cheapest tickets available to our group were in the $40 range. The Redbirds go farther in building community good will than the Grizzlies.
Non profit vs profit business. Big difference.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,328,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnative View Post
I lived in Memphis during this time and went to almost every home game. Why?

1) Because I was/am a fan of the NFL and you don't often get to see NFL games in Memphis, even if it IS in the crappy Liberty Bowl with 12k in attendance.

2) Because Memphis was labeled as a city who couldn't support pro sports. I wanted to show that yes, we COULD...and not enhance that opinion by proving such with low attendance.

Turns out, Memphis CAN'T support pro sports...because (insert reason here)...and THAT's why they didn't get a team. Not because State Legislature had a bias.
We could support a team. Of our own. The history of what occurred time-wise speaks for itself. The legislature denied funding to Memphis. Awarded funding to Nashville. Memphis did not want to support someone else's team after having satisfied all of Rozelle's conditions. Every city with any sense of pride would've done the same.

And beyond that, almost every city has at some point struggled in attendance with losing franchises. Jacksonville had to cordon off part of its stadium. Nashville has started to show concerns, as has St. Louis.

You're using what happened AFTER the door was shut to prove why it was shut in the first place, and that's inherently illogical. The lack of attendance was not a referendum on the product, but a referendum on the process. Many believe (and I think justifiably so) that to have supported them then would be to encourage further injustices inflicted on our great community by that and other professional sports franchises, and you know what, we got the better end of that deal. We have the not-for-profit Redbirds and the Grizzlies who were lauded for their community involvement. During the Oilers' years they never sniffed such outreach into the community they demanded support from. They never understood or appreciated that support should be earned, and if you don't go out in the community, you don't deserve the community's support.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM

142 posts, read 400,695 times
I'm sorry...I just don't believe that Memphis can get 70,000 people together 8 times per year consistently.

As for the Titans, they've sold out EVERY single game (even preseason) since the stadium opened, so I'm not sure to what you are referring. It took me 4 years on the waiting list before I was able to even SNIFF season tickets. I finally was offered nosebleed seats this past offseason.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 36,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnative View Post
That's a lame excuse though. They suck so that's why no one goes? That's called being a fair-weathered fan. Support your team even when they are losing. Supporting them through the bad times makes it that much better when they DO win.

Anyone can be a fan of a winner. Look at all the damn Cowboys fans around town.

Memphis CAN support Tigers Basketball but that's it. No other team has done squat there.

Hold on now I was saying if the Grizzlies wanted to INCREASE their fanbase they need to win which is pretty obvious. The fact is they need to get the 13-18 year old falling in love with the team so they will have loyalty towards the team. Down the road these kids will be the future of the season ticket holders. I fell in love with the Tigers when I was younger and have been a fan now through thick and thin. I hate fair weather fans(which the Tigers now have a lot of) but the Grizz need fans no matter what kind right now.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:02 AM

I can agree with that.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,328,244 times
Were you around during the decades of pursuit? There's no question in my mind we could pack 70K in a brand new state-funded football stadium.

Reports of the poverty in Memphis by the Tennessean and the Scene are exaggerated. Could go into it in statistical detail if interested.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 AM

I lived in Memphis from '82 to '04, so I do know some about the attempt...but was younger for most of those years so I probably am not as knowledgeable as some on the details.

I do remember preseason sellouts, but there's a huge difference between that and supporting 10 home games (including preseason) every year, not to mention the suites that are super-expensive.

As for the poverty, I dunno...the city of memphis is pretty poor. Now the outlying areas are a lot better, but inside the city, I dunno. I haven't seen what the Tennessean and Scene have written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis