Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:30 PM

33 posts, read 51,405 times

Advertisements

Oh trust me I don't plan on doing anything stupid at all im very smart. I just wanna see if the bus station is pretty safe and ok in that area since its my first time coming to memphis. Also are there many young professionals and college grads in Memphis? just curious if so where would they be at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,871 times
They won't be near the bus station Younger people tend to live in midtown and downtown. But you'll find plenty of young people all over. Memphis is pretty small, so it's easy to live on one side of town and drive 10 minutes to the other side of town to meet people and go out.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM

Thats cool I just wanna arrive safetly at the Bus Station til my family picks me up. I was just curious as to how safe the bus depot is in Memphis and airways is that in south memphis or where?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 AM

120 posts, read 269,884 times
It's south of Memphis just west of the airport. Airways runs parallel to one of the runways. If you come in between 2:30pm-6pm you can sit there and watch FedEx's afternoon "launch" (about 100+ heavy jets leaving to deliver the product of the mid-day sort). It's pretty impressive to me anyway. I try to bring visitors to watch a bit of it. Even those that could care less about airplanes think it's pretty cool.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM

173 posts, read 443,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicK Thomas View Post
Oh trust me I don't plan on doing anything stupid at all im very smart. I just wanna see if the bus station is pretty safe and ok in that area since its my first time coming to memphis. Also are there many young professionals and college grads in Memphis? just curious if so where would they be at?
"Many" is sort of relative. But they would be noticeable downtown and Overton Square (midtown). Midtown is where Rhodes College and CBU are, and near the U of M on the east and the med school on the west. Downtown is west of the med school, and is where the law school is. The local art college has campuses in both Midtown and downtown. If you're down in April, there are several festivals being held (crawfish, beer, etc). Depending on when specifically, there may be home games for the AAA Redbirds or NBA Grizzlies. Grizz especially would bring out YPs. If you're down at the end of the month, I think there's the South Main Trolley Night, also brings out YPs. In Midtown, YP's seem most visible (outside milling about) at Overton Square, although they also are out and about at Cooper Young (esp. since the opening of the new brewery and pizzeria). But sometimes when I'm at CY or Broad Ave., the streets seem filled with parked cars, but few people, until I enter the restaurants or bars. I don't know why it's different to me, probably either just me or they draw a different sort of YP.

I don't like huge crowds where I'm squeezed against others, or where I can't hear anything. My best experiences have been South of Beale, Central BBQ (downtown South Main), Bar Dog/Brass Door/Aldo's (central downtown, although the Flying Saucer has pint nite on Mondays so that draws YPs and college students too), Schweinhaus/Chiwawa (Overton Square, but there should be crowds everywhere there), Alchemy/Young Ave Deli/Beauty Shop/Celtic Crossing/Memphis Made brewery (Cooper Young). Your results may vary, terms and conditions apply, and so forth disclaimers lol.

One of the last two Mondays of the month there is a meetup for YPs as well (depending on the month, it may be either the final one or next to last one) called Undercurrent. It gets packed though. April is a good time to visit, there's a ton to do. Oh yeah, every Thursday there are concerts at Overton Square and Peabody Rooftop, and certain weekends there are concerts at Levitt Shell in Overton Park (midtown).

Enjoy.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 6,323 times
I live near the bus station. It is fairly new and it looks safe. I pass there about 3-4 times a week day and night. I stopped there once to pick up a bus card for the city bus for a friend and it was nice and looked safe.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:13 PM

50 posts, read 106,119 times
At 7:30 it will still be light. You will be fine.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply guys I'll be coming to Memphis wednesday on the greyhound. Im sure I will be ok and i appreciate it and I"m hoping and praying for a safe travel upon myself.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
Airways and Brooks is not an area yo want to hang around.
This is true....but in fairness, the bus station doesn't appear that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: