Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 10,846 times

Advertisements

Hello Memphis!! My wife and I are going to be moving to Memphis. It will be some time before we actually make the move there..about a year. In the mean time we will be residing in Jackson Tennessee as we have a friend there and will have the opportunity to prospect Memphis as we make the transition from Ohio to Tennessee. We are choosing Memphis because if its deep history and music, location, and cost of living. I already travel for work, so wont need to search for a job and wife also has an income..but will likely want a part time job for something to do and social contacts. We have no children, and live a rather hippy lifestyle, music,nature,artsy loving simple folks. We will not be able to afford to buy a house immediately. We are not against mobile home parks, in fact just may prefer it because for its potential for efficient living. Info on areas of town..rental prices that sort of thing. My target monthly expense budget for housing and utilities is $750(rent for duplx/house or lot rent+gas/electric). Something with 2 bedrooms and allows pets. We do not smoke tobacco or drink alcohol. We have no set date to move to Memphis, but targeting spring/summer 2016. Anything that one may think is helpful for a 40 ish hippie couple living the simple life in a new town. I have been scoping craiglist in the Memphis area..I dont think its an accurate representation, so any and all local folks willing to share what they think would be awesome. Thanks folks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 04:48 AM

7,504 posts, read 17,116,189 times
750 for two bedrooms, inclusive of utilities and pet rentals/fees, is tough. My advice is to explore the city and get to know it, since you'll be living close by. There are neighborhoods in Memphis like Berclair or Sherwood Forest that are a lot more affordable, but they can also be very "iffy" on a street by street basis.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 AM

ty for your input jabobitlu, just to be clear..i don't expect utilities to be included, lol although that would be nice. and "iffy", meh we can handle iffy so that's nice that u have mentioned those neighborhoods. we grew up in some pretty iffy places so that's ok. our goal is to buy a home there after 3 or 4 years, so the more efficient living the better. a mobile home would probably be optimal if i can find one for a few thousand..or cheaper as i have the skills to rehab the unit. thanks again and pls keep the info coming!!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 AM

473 posts, read 792,271 times
Memphis doesnt have a ton of mobile home parks and the ones I have seen are pretty rough.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 AM

can u tell me any neighborhoods these are in?. looking on craigs..seems here are lots of places for rent...and cheap..but im not sure of the area. now i don't have a problem with the so called "bad" neighborhoods. i grew up in the ghettos of toledo Ohio..so i can relate generally to what any "bad" area can pose..and in lots of cases 1 or 2 bad experiences can really bias one or 2 individuals opinions. i noticed a member posted a nice color coded map of Memphis...indicating what he/she thinks are good or bad neighborhoods. neat map, but I'm curious to know the why ..why are these areas not so good? low income? hi crime? ty for ur input 85.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:39 AM

I know there are (or were) trailer parks in Frayser and Whitehaven. Reason I say were is I know that some were in low lying areas that flooded out badly in the last few years. May also want to consider looking at Millington, a separate city North of Memphis. Or Lakeland off of Canada Road between I40 and Hwy 64. However, depending on what kind of neighborhood you can tolerate and how handy you are, it is possible to buy homes in Memphis for less than $5k.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 PM

good to hear. ty. and also a reason im thankful to have the chance to do some prospecting. there are lots of places like that here as well as far as homes that are cheap...and often never know there are lots of jewels in the ruff too. very good point. seems there are some in Bartlett? any info on that?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Barlett is generally a nice area. Not super wealthy, but not run down either.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,382,905 times
There's a trailer park on Whitten, just barely south of Bartlett. It's not glamorous, but it's not dangerous either.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,116,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbd420 View Post
i noticed a member posted a nice color coded map of Memphis...indicating what he/she thinks are good or bad neighborhoods. neat map, but I'm curious to know the why ..why are these areas not so good? low income? hi crime? ty for ur input 85.

It varies. Some neighborhoods like Frayser, Whitehaven, Berclair, are on there because there are some violence issues (mostly drugs), LOTS of maintenance issues (abandoned/falling down houses/apartment buildings, etc.), and most people wouldn't want to invest in a home there. At the same time, these are all huge neighborhoods. Just as an example, the Rugby area of Frayser is VERY different than the Georgian Hills area. Rugby is full of abandoned houses and thugs. Georgian Hills has decent, large ranch homes that may or may not need a little yard maintenance, upkeep, etc. That's why I said - it's gonna be great that you can live in Jackson and drive down to Memphis a few times to "learn" the city.

Other neighborhoods, like upper south Memphis, Smokey City/Klondike, or Hollywood/North Memphis, are really more dangerous.

Here's a handy tool. Put in an address, set the search distance (5 miles, etc.), and give it a time frame (past two weeks, or whatever), and it'll show you the crimes reported:

Memphis Daily News - Crime Report Map - A map of reported crimes for Memphis and Shelby County - Updated Daily - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

That all having been said - if you have kids, schools are really important to think about. If you do have kids to think about, I would strongly urge you to try to live in a suburban community like Bartlett, Arlington or Lakeland that are gonna have their own school systems. There's only 1 or 2 public schools in the city limits of Memphis that are great, and I think you're priced out of the houses in those areas.

Last edited by jabogitlu; 03-30-2015 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis