Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,162 times

Advertisements

Hi! I went away to school, and have since returned to Memphis. I previously attended UT, and had friends of different races. I have observed that unless I rush a sorority, it seems that I have to make an effort to have a diverse group of friends here. The black people hang out with black people, and the white people hang out with white people. I am a young African American woman in her early 20s. Does anyone have advice? I have heard Midtown is good, but are there just hipsters? I'm also looking into interracial dating.

Last edited by Anomaly91; 04-28-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,120,825 times
It was pretty effortless for me ... I'm a white kid from Appalachia who immediately made several good black (and white) friends in Memphis through my university. Maybe it was just my program?

Certainly, I think you're right that people of certain backgrounds tend to hang out together. That often means folks are grouped by race, or by income. Idk... just try striking up conversations and see where that leads? Figure out if your program/degree has extracurricular activities, clubs, etc. and see how you can get involved?

There are soooo many volunteer opportunities in Memphis. I'm sure you will have no problems.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:53 PM

410 posts, read 798,923 times
Agree. Get involved! Plenty of organizations that don't base enrollment on skin color. Give it a try.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 PM

I've gotten involved. I volunteer, I am in/ am an officer for organizations on campus.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:25 PM

65 posts, read 99,691 times
No, their aren't just hipsters in Midtown...not like hipsters you see in other larger cities. The hipsters here are probably just poor and dress like that because that's what they found at goodwill (not being rude).

Midtown is actually pretty decent tbh...

Old 05-02-2015, 12:22 PM

What other types live in Midtown?

Old 05-02-2015, 01:19 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,120,825 times
Midtown is:

- young college kids (some although many more live in the U district)
- Republicans
- Old Money Memphis
- Democrats
- Anarchists
- Punk Rock Garage Band Folks
- Entrepreneurs
- Indie Film folks
- blue collar workers
- GLBTQ
- New Money Memphis
- Professional crowd (lawyers, doctors, etc.)
- Service workers (waiters, etc.)
- Average joes (nurses, government workers, etc.)
- Homeless
- Bike/Pedestrianers
- Drug houses, flop houses and "gubmint check" folks

What Midtown isn't much of:
- NIMBYs (although the Kroc community center's design, as well as the shipping container restaurant at Central/Cooper, drew some of these folks out)
- Suburban lovers
- Folks afraid of blacks
- Religious zealots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: