Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM

120 posts, read 269,884 times

Advertisements

There are about 50 houses for sale in Collierville between $200k-$275k in Collierville at the moment. What you say is true only if you're looking for new construction.

My comment about being a Democrat (I'm not really as I'm really a Centrist who, at the moment is leaning Democrat cause the Right wing is currently overrun with 'my or the highway' idiots) was a sarcastic response to someone doing a very poor job of saying, in'code', that he didn't want to live in an area with any African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
There are about 50 houses for sale in Collierville between $200k-$275k in Collierville at the moment. What you say is true only if you're looking for new construction.
There are incredible options for sale for under $275,000 in Collierville....they just sell pretty quickly. Many of them are 30-40 years old, very well built, but have smaller bathrooms like most houses that age. My neighbor's house is one of them. He's going to probably get asking price (or very close to it) for that beautiful old home.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
I am from cordova. Born in 87. HS class was '06 and I went to Cordova High. Some say its not a racial thing, a cultural thing or whatever but let me tell you what it was like for me. Keep in mind my school went from Shelby County to Memphis City my junior year in high school.

Cordova used to be NICE. I remember when we moved there from Collierville to a neighborhood to be close to Bellevue Baptist Church (what a monstrosity!). I was probably like 10 years old. From that age to about 16 I roamed EVERYWHERE around cordova. All up and down G-town parkway from Wolfchase back down to around Walnut Grove and everywhere in between. I had a great feel for the little township. I worked all over the place too, a garden nursery, grocery store, vet pets, chili's, bonefish, you name it!

For my Freshman and Sophomore years in high school, we were probably like 70% white and 30% black (with the random minority ethnicities sprinkled in of course). Had TONS of black friends that I knew and played sports with. School had great chemistry and I believe we were above average academically. I always felt superior to collierville because they were sort of racist and there we were in Cordova getting along! It was like a Michael Jackson video lol. We had our own fair share of shenanigans just like anywhere else in the country but there was never any major crime related events.

Then we got annexed... I remember stepping through the front door in the Fall of 2004 and I did not recognize the faces that stared (glared) back at me. I saw two fights in the cafeteria the first week!! Metal detectors were installed at the front doors. No loitering policies put in place. The friendly officer that was always on campus that knew a lot of us by name was replaced by a SQUAD of anti gang cops. It got really crazy to say the least. Seeing black girls "weave" in the hallways ripped out from them fighting was a common occurrence (GROSS!!). That following spring, my friend and I were skipping class smoking cigarettes in the parking lot when two black dudes approached us and asked for some cigs. We were truly out and so we told them we didnt have any to give and the next thing we knew one pulled a pistol, shoved it in our face and demanded our wallets and phones! My brand new motorola RAZR that I had saved up money from working at Schnucks to pay for.. gone. Not to mention the anger that instilled in me. That same year my super country white friend was trying to back his truck out of his parking space and there were 5 or 6 uh "urban youth" standing behind his truck. He honked his horn and yelled "move!". He later showed me a picture of his shirt and shorts.. soaked with his own blood from getting attacked in his own truck.

I ended up leaving the school my senior year it was so bad because I just couldn't do it. ALL the good teachers left! There were some really talented and caring teachers and they exited that place so fast. I got my GED that year, denying my mom of getting to see her son walk for graduation.

Yeah cordova may seem busy, may be viable economically but it will NEVER live up to what it was originally concieved as. Its a straight circus now. I wouldn't wish that my worst enemies had to go to that school. The problem isn't the black people. The problem is the TYPE of people that inhabit it now. Plenty of diversity before the annex, things were pretty harmonious. Its after kids were getting trucked in that it went south. I now live in Houston, TX which is just as diverse as memphis, maybe more and its night and day how different things are here. If I were offered a lucrative job in Memphis, Collierville or Germantown would be the only options for me...

Last edited by JMT; 05-29-2015 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis