Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,461 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in this area? My wife and i are considering relocating to Memphis and like what we see on the computer for these condos. Any insight would be appreciate, crime, ethnic make, ages, quiet or loud neighborhood, etc.
Thanks all Ed and Lou
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
I've noticed lately they have some very cheap condos for sale there. Shockingly cheap for Germantown (one is listed for $40,000, others are $60,000!). Just based on that, I would guess the condos are not on the very high end. I would be wary of any condo complex anywhere in Memphis, let alone Germantown, that has such cheap units. I know nothing about the complex, but that sounds very fishy to me.

I say this all the time - if you are relocating to Memphis, rent first. Don't buy. It can take a long time to really understand how the neighborhoods and cities here are made up and where you truly want to live. You don't want to buy a cheap condo and then realize you hate the place, you are miserable, and you can't sell it because you bought in the wrong area and no one else wants it.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 13,461 times
Thank you for your response. My son lives in Memphis and is the area director for the Memorial Gardens just down Poplar from the Fountain Square complex.we visit him in Cordov . He recently bought a nice home in Collierville. so I am somewhat familiar with Memphis. I know where to get good barbeque, donuts and fried chicken. LOL
I did a crime search and the crime is very low within 2 miles of the complex. I know the traffic is heavy there. I will be visiting soon once again and will do some drive throughs in various areas and speak to managers as well as residents. However, before I visit it would be nice to hear form someone living there what their experience is.how the HOA responds to needs, the noise level,etc.
Again thank you and the renting is always a good idea. I have advised many people to do the same, It can save a possible problem down the road. Have a beautiful day in lovely Memphis.
Ed and Lou

Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Fountain Square is a good, basic, older condominium complex. The units are pretty much no frills. They are mostly rentals owned by investors. I'm pretty sure that the units are less than 50% owner occupied which means you can't purchase one with an FHA loan. That keeps the prices lower as many people can't afford to pay cash for real estate.
I know there are several middle aged and older women living in some of the units. The responsiveness will be up to your landlord more than the HOA, unless you are planning to buy. The management company is responsive, but if you are renting, the responsiveness of your landlord would be the bigger concern.
The complex is quiet. Hope that helps.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:20 PM

191 posts, read 303,317 times
Be sure to check out the financials of the condo (not the unit) and who serves on the Board. Ascertain if there is deferred maintenance, like needing a new roof, and how large the reserves are. We own an investment condo - not in that complex - where there are some big maintenance needs, but the unit owners don't want to pay, either in the form of a special assessment or higher monthly fees. Our building is FHA approved, which means some of the owners have limited cash and modest incomes. Maybe investors would have more working capital and a better appreciation for preserving an asset.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
My cousin lives there with her man and their kids. They seem to like it ok. It's not a luxurious place, but it's safe and near everything on Poplar. Gtown schools are excellent too.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
This is a really good point, I have noticed a lot of rental listings in the complex and typically an HOA does not allow rentals - if they do, that is very bad for the actual owners who live there in terms of financing and being able to sell. If this is true about the rentals, I would suggest definitely not purchasing there. That explains the low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Fountain Square is a good, basic, older condominium complex. The units are pretty much no frills. They are mostly rentals owned by investors. I'm pretty sure that the units are less than 50% owner occupied which means you can't purchase one with an FHA loan. That keeps the prices lower as many people can't afford to pay cash for real estate.
I know there are several middle aged and older women living in some of the units. The responsiveness will be up to your landlord more than the HOA, unless you are planning to buy. The management company is responsive, but if you are renting, the responsiveness of your landlord would be the bigger concern.
The complex is quiet. Hope that helps.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:49 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
My sister lives there...she bought her unit 3 or 4 years ago. She is very happy there. No way she could have afforded to live elsewhere in Germantown. It's very quiet at her home - she lives pretty much in the center of the complex, so she doesn't get traffic noise from Poplar and very little noise from the railroad that runs next to the southern border of the complex. She loves the location. Being an older, single woman it meets her needs perfectly. A couple of her friends are also hoping to buy there.

As you'd expect with a 40+ year old complex that started life as an apartment complex, the individual units vary greatly. Some have been upgraded/redecorated and are quite nice....others haven't - just like homes in any other 40+ year old neighborhood.

The previous management didn't maintain the property very well, and that's one reason the prices on many units are so low. The lower prices are also on the smallest units. The sizes vary quite a bit from 1 bedroom units to 3 bedroom units with 1900 square feet. A new management company took over about a year ago and has made a lot of progress toward improving the complex, but it takes some time to get everything done. They did have a assessment last year to raise the funds for the needed repairs and improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis