Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM

24 posts, read 31,046 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me information. I need to know if air conditioning is something landlords in memphis have to provide and what I can do to get my ac fixed.

They say they are coming to fix but never do. They also say they need the key to my apartment but this is a lie. They have 3 copies. Also, since I am a substitute teacher I have been home everyday this summer. I saved up money because there is no work over the summer.

Anyway, it is unbearably hot and I am not feeling well. I live alone and would hate to die in my apartment like this. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what my options are?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 12:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
A/C is not a requirement by law. Heat is though.

However, if you signed a lease for an air conditioned property (window or central) then they need to fix it. You're paying rent based on the condition as you moved in. For example, you can rent a place that doesn't have a fridge. But, if it had a fridge when you signed a lease, the owner has to make sure there is always a functioning fridge in there.

Are you renting from an individual, or a management company? If from a company, is there another employee you can speak with? If a person...I'm not sure what your recourse is other than to move out and then sue them later on for your deposit back. That's the only immediate solution. Or, just go buy a window unit and tell the owner you are deducting the cost from your next month's rent. Make sure everything is in writing - do it by text or email.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:57 AM

24 posts, read 31,046 times
Cristen I am renting from a management company. You are very helpful, thanks for your advice.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
I would start by reading your lease. I've seen some crazy leases that state the landlord is leaving certain items on the premises (refrigerator, stove, etc), and that the tenant is allowed to use them, but the landlord is not responsible for any repairs as the items are not part of the rental.
So read your lease first. Assuming that it is a standard lease with no crazy clauses, then note the date the problem started.
Next write a letter to your management company stating the date the problem started and request a repair. Send the letter from the post office and use certified mail. Make sure to save the receipt. If they don't fix it within 14 days, you generally have two options- get it fixed yourself and subtract the cost of the repair from your lease. Or move out and sue the landlord for damages.
Note- I'm a landlord in TN, but I am not an attorney. I only play one on the Internet. I would look up which agency handles housing issues in Shelby County and call them to confirm your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis