Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,559 times

Advertisements

Hey, my husband just found out he's being transferred from California to Memphis, TN in a month.
I've been doing some research on a safe/ok place to live and 95% of the comments I've read about Memphis and some surrounding areas are all negative.
I've noticed most sites name Hernando, Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville as some of the best places to live.

We don't have the time to go explore the city for ourselves since they're not allowing him to take days off work until his moving date and I don't have any friends in the area that can help me out, so I decided to post this thread and try to get some insight from people that lives or used to live anywhere in Memphis or near the city.

Is it really that bad?
We don't have kids, so school is not a problem, and we'd be ok with maybe 30ish minutes of commute to the city.

What do you guys recommend? I guess our priority is to stay as far away from the chaos as we can be.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM

139 posts, read 309,397 times
Well, to tell the truth only the strong survive in Memphis. It is kinda like ISIS-occupied territory, only worse.

To make it simple for you, just move to Collierville, north of Poplar Avenue, that way you will not be bombarded with the "you are going to die at any moment" hyperbole.

p.s. Just in case, if needed, the first paragraph is a joke. We hear it all, so you get numb to it, might as well have some fun with it. The second paragraph fits your criteria.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:08 PM

82 posts, read 140,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leuki View Post
Hey, my husband just found out he's being transferred from California to Memphis, TN in a month.
I've been doing some research on a safe/ok place to live and 95% of the comments I've read about Memphis and some surrounding areas are all negative.
I've noticed most sites name Hernando, Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville as some of the best places to live.

We don't have the time to go explore the city for ourselves since they're not allowing him to take days off work until his moving date and I don't have any friends in the area that can help me out, so I decided to post this thread and try to get some insight from people that lives or used to live anywhere in Memphis or near the city.

Is it really that bad?
We don't have kids, so school is not a problem, and we'd be ok with maybe 30ish minutes of commute to the city.

What do you guys recommend? I guess our priority is to stay as far away from the chaos as we can be.

Thank you.
Hello! I actually just moved from Phoenix to Memphis about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to write a review of my first few weeks in Memphis at some point, but in short, it's been a good move. I'm originally from North Mississippi, so I kind of knew my way around Memphis already. We moved to a house in East Memphis, which I was hesitant about, however, we love where we are at so far. Depending on your budget, I'd recommend East Memphis in a heartbeat (and this is coming from someone who posted on this forum looking for advice only about the suburbs). There is a house in our neighborhood for rent, if you'd like some information on it. On the crime, I haven't watched the news since we moved here, and you would think I was living in Mayberry. There is hardly any crime around us.

Anyways, you'll like it here. Any more questions, please ask. I was in your shoes about a month ago.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 7,725 times
I think East Memphis is just fine, but so is Bartlett, Arlington, Collierville, Germantown, and Cordova. It is all about the kind of area you like and how long you are okay driving. I live in Bartlett, and drive about 20-30min to work everyday. We just like suburban life a little better, and our church is out here.

There are many fewer places that are not okay than are. There really isn't a lot of chaos, but if you like quiet, you can find that too in Shelby county.

Are you looking to Rent or Buy? Apartment or House? We can probably give some specific examples.

For example, when we moved here 7 years ago, we rented an apartment in Cordova (Lincoln at Wolfchase) because they will do 3-6month rental agreements. We really liked it there and enjoyed the area. From there it took about 40min for me to get downtown in rush hour traffic to the medical district. Doing something like that might give you time to really decide what kind of area you want to live in.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,935,892 times
IN Memphis most of the area east of Highland Ave between Sam Cooper blvd and Park Ave should be ok, some of the surrounding areas also, although it can be a little hit and miss. You can always come here with questions about a particular neighborhood (using an intersection for reference) if you find a house or apartment listing that interests you.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 AM

120 posts, read 267,477 times
It would help to know where (approximate location or least a part of town) you will be working. The commute to work is a factor in ruling out one area or another to narrow the choices...

Old 07-31-2015, 11:12 AM

7,504 posts, read 17,118,456 times
You didn't tell us anything other than "we're moving to Memphis." Where will you be working? Looking to rent or buy? What's your budget for either scenario? What kind of people are you? Do you like city neighborhoods or suburban neighborhoods? Prefer to walk to bars, or drive to entertainment? Near malls? Far from malls? Etc. etc. etc. etc................

Any part of Memphis you're gonna be led to will be just fine. Clearly if you rent a three bedroom house for $500 then you're in SOL territory.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 PM

191 posts, read 299,758 times
Ditto to what Jabogitlu said: Where will your husband be working? What is your budget? What amenities do you want? None of the places you mention are in Memphis. Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville are in Shelby County. Hernando is not even in Tennessee. I was out in Collierville and Germantown yesterday, and they are great suburban towns. Bartlett is less upmarket, but okay.

If you want to live in Memphis, then look at Downtown, Midtown or East Memphis, which all have safe areas. As noted above, give us an intersection and we can provide feedback. Or look at one of the online crime maps. In general, price is a good indicator of desirability, as it is in most places.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 8,559 times
Hey, thanks for the replies. I have some more info now, my husband will be working in Bartlett, we're looking to rent a 3+ bedroom house. We're ideally looking to rent for about $1000 but we could go up to $1300-$1400 if the place is really worth it.
We're not looking to live in Memphis. I've heard collierville, Germantown and Bartlett are great.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,978,082 times
Finding a house in Germantown or Collierville for close to $1000 is going to be a challenge....and you may not like the commute since their are really only 2 north-south choices - Germantown Parkway or Houston Levee. Traffic is pretty heave during rush hours.

If it were me, I'd concentrate my search on Bartlett, with Cordova as a second choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis