Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 56,598 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to memphis.
I know of some tax benefits for living in MS compared to TN, but if I purchase a car in MS and live in TN is there still a tax benefit/ cost savings?

What about insurance?

Looking for advice? perspective

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 03:09 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_red_captain View Post
I am relocating to memphis.
I know of some tax benefits for living in MS compared to TN, but if I purchase a car in MS and live in TN is there still a tax benefit/ cost savings?

What about insurance?

Looking for advice? perspective

thanks
There's no advantage to buying your car in Mississippi and living in Tennessee. When you register your new car in Tennessee, you will pay the difference in sales tax.

But keep in mind that Mississippi has ridiculously high car tag fees based on the value of the car, so if you think you can borrow a friend's address in Mississippi to register your car and save the Tennessee sales tax, think again. And it's not just a one-time thing. You pay those high Mississippi fees every year, a bit less each year as the value of your car decreases. When I was a student at Ole Miss I had an old Subaru and still paid a few hundred bucks each year to register the car in Mississippi. In the long run it would've been much cheaper to have the car registered in Tennessee even with the additional one-time Tennessee sales tax.

Last edited by JMT; 02-03-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
When I was a student at Ole Miss I had an old Subaru and still paid a few hundred bucks each year to register the car in Mississippi.
You're kidding, right? Both of my cars are less than five years old and it costs me less than $100/each per year for Mississippi tags.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
You're kidding, right? Both of my cars are less than five years old and it costs me less than $100/each per year for Mississippi tags.
I'm glad it's changed, then. It was ridiculously high when I was a student in Mississippi, but I do remember one of the fellows running for governor used lowering Mississippi's outrageously high car tag fees as one of his platforms, so I guess it worked.

I did find this at the Mississippi State Tax Commission web site:

"Mississippi owners of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 10,000 lbs or less must pay motor vehicle ad valorem taxes on their vehicles at the time of registration. Motor vehicle ad valorem tax is based on the assessed value of the vehicle multiplied by the millage rate set by the local county government. (Contact your local county tax collector for the millage rates.) Assessed value has been established as 30% of the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price plus a reduction of a certain percentage for depreciation over 10 years. A minimum assessed value is set at $100.00 for passenger vehicles. This ad valorem tax is revenue used by the local governments. Any exemptions of the motor vehicle ad valorem tax are found in Section 27-51-41 of the Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated."

Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's no advantage to buying your car in Mississippi and living in Tennessee. When you register your new car in Tennessee, you will pay the difference in sales tax.

But keep in mind that Mississippi has ridiculously high car tag fees based on the value of the car, so if you think you can borrow a friend's address in Mississippi to register your car and save the Tennessee sales tax, think again. And it's not just a one-time thing. You pay those high Mississippi fees every year, a bit less each year as the value of your car decreases. When I was a student at Ole Miss I had an old Subaru and still paid a few hundred bucks each year to register the car in Mississippi. In the long run it would've been much cheaper to have the car registered in Tennessee even with the additional one-time Tennessee sales tax.
When we bought our car in Mississippi, we, of course, licensed it and paid sales tax in Tennessee. What's interesting, though, is by buying it in Mississippi, we were only charged the Tennessee sales/use tax, not the Memphis add-on, so we saved the 2% local tax on the car.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
When we bought our car in Mississippi, we, of course, licensed it and paid sales tax in Tennessee. What's interesting, though, is by buying it in Mississippi, we were only charged the Tennessee sales/use tax, not the Memphis add-on, so we saved the 2% local tax on the car.
I hadn't thought about that! So I guess it is worth it, then, to buy your new car in Mississippi. Or Arkansas, I suppose.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the perspective.. much appreciated?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM

not quite sure why there is a ? after appreciated....:-)

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I know A LOT of people who use fake addresses in TN, (and live in MS) because they don't want to register their cars in MS because the registration and renewals are so high. Well, not FAKE addresses, but they will use the address of a brother or aunt. The last person who mentioned it said her registration was going to be over $500 that year.

I have no clue how it works, never looked into it, but I know of at least those several people who go out of their way and basically lie to the govt to save hundreds of dollars in MS registration fees.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 17,728 times
If you buy a car in tennessee but live in mississippi do you have to pay taxes in tennessee and mississippi when you go to buy your tag??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: