Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,723 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Memphis, TN area. What are some safe, nice but affordable apartments in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 12:19 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Hard to say. Tell us:

1. Where will you be working? (general area)
2. What type of community do you prefer? (suburban, urban, semi urban, rural)
3. Are good schools important?
4. What's your budget?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:31 PM

I will be working in the Bartlett area.
I am not too picky on the type of community, as long as it is safe and a "good" community.
I am single without children, so schools are not important.
Ideally, no more than $600 or $650 a month.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:50 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
If you want a 'safe and "good" community' you should bump your price range up to $700-850. Bartlett it self only has 2 or 3 apartment complexes. It's next door neighbor, Cordova, has far more choices.

At $600-650 you will have to deal with some negative elements from time to time. Memphis is cheap compared to some cities but it seems that people have an illusion on how cheap it really is.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I think $650-$750 is very doable for a one bedroom apartment. Bartlett is a good community, parts of Cordova would probably be OK, and Lakeland/Arlington would be just fine. Also, Bartlett is pretty close to East Memphis, so I'd also take a look at apartments there (although they may be out of budget, e.g. 1 - 3 Bed Apartments | Madison Humphreys Center)

Since you're new to the area, I'd recommend staying out of Raleigh altogether, and doing some hard investigating on any units in Cordova. Cordova is still a basically decent community, but its apartment complexes may be hit or miss.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Thank you. I have looked at a few online and I will be visiting them in person soon to check them out. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to add to my list to look at.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:37 AM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
Bartlett sort of morphs into Cordova in the Wolfchase mall area, which is the intersection of Stage Rd and Germantown Rd (around where I-40 exits). There are tons of large apartment complexes around that area. It's not the prettiest area (tons of traffic and strip malls) but it's safe and I think is a good start for any newcomer. I'll list some I just found. I don't know anything specific about these, but they are not "dangerous" in any sense of the word.

Here are a couple privately managed ones, probably condos that people rent out:
2416 Talmadge Pl, Cordova, TN 38016 | Zillow
8176 Harley St, Cordova, TN 38016 | Zillow

And here are some examples of complexes:
Registry at Wolfchase Apartments - Cordova, TN | Zillow
Rockcreek Apartments Rentals | Apartments.com
Stonebridge Crossing Rentals | Apartments.com
Appling Lakes at Cordova Club Apartments Rentals | Apartments.com

Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 AM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
I would add:
Park's Edge at Shelby Farms | Luxury Apartments in Cordova, TN

Memphis Apartments - The Reserve at Dexter Lake

Apartments Bartlett - The Legends at Wolfchase - Bartlett, TN 38133

Houston Levee Apartments | Apartments in Cordova, TN

I would also add Champion Hills at Stonebridge. I couldn't find a direct website for the apartment.

The first two apartments I listed are more on the high side but are nice. I would consider Park's Edge the best apartment overall.

The big negative to this area is that the traffic is horrible during rush hour and the weekends. But since you will be working in Bartlett it will be a minor inconvenience.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 PM

14 posts, read 15,895 times
I'm not sure where exactly Bartlett is, as I only lived in Memphis for two months. I lived in the South Junction apartments downtown and found that it was perfect for my lifestyle. Nice amenities, gated parking for residents, and only a walk from some of the best restaurants, breweries, running trails, etc. Might be worth looking into if your work drive wouldn't be longer than 30 minutes or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis