U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 PM

670 posts, read 590,131 times

Advertisements

Curious to here other poster viewpoint on a potential d-annexation bill that two representatives are trying to get passed.

Mayor Strickland says state

Some Highlights from the article of the proposed bill:

Cities affected - Memphis, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Kingsport, Johnson City, and Cornersville.

Would require 10% of the annexed area's voters to petition for a d-annexation referendum area's that were annexed or operative after May 1, 1998. It would then be up to a majority of the area voters to vote for d-annexation to be approved.

Property owners would still be responsible for city debt accrued after annexation in their property taxes if they approve of d-anxeation.

How it affects Memphis
* Potential 111,000 loss in population
* $27-64million loss in property taxes and $15 million in sales tax.
* If passed Memphis could be facing a future possible tax revenue loss of up to $100 million due to the state requiring Memphis to raise their pension fund by $55 million and a possible loss of $15 million if the Hall tax is abolished.

Some of the financial issues that have been going on lately involving Memphis and Shelby County have really made me pull back on the idea of looking to buy a house. To me the dust still hasn't settled from the school system issue. Now we have a couple of potential issues such as this and who's responsible for the old MCS school system $1 billion pension liability issue that could have a very negative affect on the economic stability of this area.

As stated earlier I'm curious to see other posters opinion on how this can impact Memphis or even your decisions about living in this area.

Last edited by dc1538; 03-09-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 PM

7,221 posts, read 16,046,214 times
To me, this is an extension of the far right position that the state government has espoused post-Bredesen. It leaves a funny taste in my mouth. I'd feel much more comfortable if this was a proposed bill that affected any city in Tennessee... And why 1998? Is there some significance here that I don't understand?

The whole thing just smells really, really bad. I am thinking one day about returning to the south, but my problem isn't Memphis - my problem is the state government in Tennessee. What a bunch of morons - a dangerous mix of corporatist lackeys, religious autocrats, and powerless DINOs.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,246,441 times
The way the bill is written, it only applies to a few cities, one of which is Memphis. Can they do that? How can a state law only apply in a few parts of the state?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,484,658 times
It is a curious bill. I think the article names like 5 parts of Memphis that could be affected, with Cordova and Hickory Hill being the biggest. The most telling part to me is Jim Strickland's quotes about being open to the idea of shrinking Memphis's footprint but doing it over a period of time and not like this. I just wonder what parts of Memphis is the mayor willing to give up in the future?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:35 PM

28 posts, read 49,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
It is a curious bill. I think the article names like 5 parts of Memphis that could be affected, with Cordova and Hickory Hill being the biggest. The most telling part to me is Jim Strickland's quotes about being open to the idea of shrinking Memphis's footprint but doing it over a period of time and not like this. I just wonder what parts of Memphis is the mayor willing to give up in the future?
Let Millington have Frayser/Raleigh.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:15 PM

473 posts, read 751,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry J View Post
Let Millington have Frayser/Raleigh.
Interesting thought. I wonder what Millington would think of that.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM

11,969 posts, read 24,189,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
The way the bill is written, it only applies to a few cities, one of which is Memphis. Can they do that? How can a state law only apply in a few parts of the state?
It's happened before. Indiana went against it's own state law to prevent Gary from annexing what became Merrillville. What's the logic of bills like this anyway? Isn't there more pressing issues besides bankrupting Democrat dominated cities?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,199,297 times
From what I have read, many of the annexations post 1998 were without the consent of the majority of citizens affected.
I believe they culled the cities that did this to a greater extent. This certainly speaks to taking away from citizens the right of self determination through the vote, and that their right to representation as relates to taxation. Most communities that have the exceptional schools and services are those that wisely manage their finances and do so with manageable resources, including land. Ironically, many communities adjacent to the annexed areas have flourished and those who were forcibly annexed most likely feel it could have been them but for a bureaucrat drawing a line down their street.

I'm surprised so many here see the cities as entities that override the basic foundational rights of citizens.
I am not making this up. It is what I have read about annexation, especially in Memphis. I stand with the citizens that were denied a vote. What is unfair to finally let them have that vote. There is nothing underhanded about that. (the law clearly takes into account that the citizens will still have to pay taxes to the cities until certain expenditures are paid)

Last edited by preguntas; 03-10-2016 at 07:58 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,246,441 times
However anybody feels about annexation without approval of those being annexed, it didn't begin in 1998. It's long been routine. So much so that all the Shelby municipalities have formally agreed as to who has future claims to what unincorporated areas in the county. Nobody voted when my East Memphis neighborhood was annexed in the 1950s. And the sky didn't fall either.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:48 PM

7,221 posts, read 16,046,214 times
Quote:
I'm surprised so many here see the cities as entities that override the basic foundational rights of citizens.
What basic foundational right? Oh I forgot bill of rights #11, every citizen has the right to live only in an incorporated county, not in an incorporated city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis