Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:36 PM

74 posts, read 151,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldream View Post
One thing to remember is that people leave (or migrate) cities all over the globe for the same reasons or for reasons that shape their perception one way or another. These feelings are most often subjective as people's sensitivity to one thing or another has a wide swinging variance. Each place one person dislikes has an even larger number of people with the means to live wherever they choose who love it.

That point aside, Binghampton is definitely interesting to watch. There's a huge opportunity available to take advantage of the large volume of daily traffic.
This sounds exciting! I hope I get to see it one day. I hope to one day be a part of improving Memphis, it has such a fantastic history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 02:09 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Memphis mentioned again. In National Publication...Along with DC, Austin, and Portland

Trump Hotel Washington D.C. | Downtown Development Group

Old 03-28-2016, 06:32 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona2016 View Post
When I lived in Nashville, I ran into hundreds of people who were originally from Memphis. Every single one of them said that Memphis and it's crime is why they left. The research I've done confirms it. I'm sorry. However, I have heard that the areas far away from Memphis are fine and very safe.

People are not going to choose to move out of a city and then say "I really loved it, I don't know why I moved." The majority of people who choose to move away from a city do it because they don't like it. So of course the people you run into who moved will have a negative reason. The people who like a city choose to stay.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:44 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
People are not going to choose to move out of a city and then say "I really loved it, I don't know why I moved." The majority of people who choose to move away from a city do it because they don't like it. So of course the people you run into who moved will have a negative reason. The people who like a city choose to stay.
Not necessarily. I lived in Memphis for 8 years and absolutely loved it. I still love Memphis. But after my car was broken into twice, then stolen, and my house was broken into four times, and my bike stolen off my 2nd floor balcony when I lived around the corner from the Union Ave police precinct, I'd had enough. I have countless Memphis friends who felt forced to leave because of high crime, wacko politics and, often, better paying jobs elsewhere but whose hearts will always be in Memphis.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,871 times
Right - but they still left. People who love the city and want to see better for it will stay and try to make things better. The majority who don't care for it give up and leave.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not necessarily. I lived in Memphis for 8 years and absolutely loved it. I still love Memphis. But after my car was broken into twice, then stolen, and my house was broken into four times, and my bike stolen off my 2nd floor balcony when I lived around the corner from the Union Ave police precinct, I'd had enough. I have countless Memphis friends who felt forced to leave because of high crime, wacko politics and, often, better paying jobs elsewhere but whose hearts will always be in Memphis.

I am a renter right now (in a nice, secure apartment complex in Midtown) but I do plan on buying in Memphis within the next year or two and hope that I don't live through those experiences. I am hoping that I get the nice, relatively-quiet city home that I will be seeking.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 AM

74 posts, read 151,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
When you say Memphis, do you mean the city or the surrounding areas/suburbs? I've lived in crime areas before, sure don't want that experience again!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:37 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona2016 View Post
When you say Memphis, do you mean the city or the surrounding areas/suburbs? I've lived in crime areas before, sure don't want that experience again!
I lived in the city of Memphis for 5 years, and that's where I experienced that crime. I was in Midtown (Central Gardens) for three years and had just my bike stolen from my 2nd floor balcony. I still have no idea how they did it. Then I lived in the neighborhood adjacent to the U of M (on the "safe" side), and that's where all the other stuff happened.

I also lived in North Mississippi for 3 years and experienced 0 crime. My friends in Collierville felt safe. My friends in Germantown did experience some property crime but still felt safe.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I lived in Midtown both in nice and somewhat marginal neighborhoods and I never had anything stolen or experienced any crime. But, I also never left anything in my car (even loose change) and my bike, etc., were in my fenced in, locked back yard.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 AM

139 posts, read 311,203 times
I've lived in Whitehaven, not even the good part, for 15+ years and have had no where near the experience of others. A stolen hose reel and plastic wheelbarrow, that I'm 99% certain were taken by my next door neighbors, who were in the process of moving out. That is my crime in Memphis story. Knock on wood.

I wouldn't say Memphis is on an upswing, but it is presently treading water with it's head above water, for now. However, with Memphis that can fleeting. I'm a Memphis defender, but my wife and I are planning to move for nothing else but a change of scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis