Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM

56 posts, read 83,811 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the Berclair neighboorhood?
The great map has it listed as orange.
Is this a sketch neighborhood?

Thanks

Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...71loCrepjLZMZI
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
It's pretty orange, yeah. I have a few friends that live around Grahamwood and they like the affordability and relative safety. The extreme northern part of the neighborhood is fairly diverse - looks like lots of Asian and Middle Eastern folks living around there.

It's nowhere near the level of crime as serious no-go zones like Orange Mound or South Memphis, but it's definitely not as safe as Midtown. I recall seeing a map of meth busts a few years ago that MPD had released, and Berclair was lit up like a Christmas tree.

What is your intention? Living there? Buying a rental?

Summer Ave is among the most interesting, weird, and stuck in the 1980's shopping districts in Memphis. I like Berclair mostly for Summer Avenue, but I would greatly value also being able to leave Berclair after an hour or two, and return to my home in a different neighborhood. This is a generalization, but probably a fairly accurate one.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:57 PM

56 posts, read 83,811 times
Thanks for the responses.
I was thinking about buying in the 70k range.

But it looks like it's stuck in the 60 or 70ies when you drive around with google :-)

Old 07-22-2016, 02:10 PM

171 posts, read 355,797 times
I've spent some time in Berclair. I'd say it seems "moderately sketchy," but I've never felt threatened or unsafe.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,881 times
We live in Berclair, and as long as you stay close to the East End, closest to the highway (40), and closest to Summer Ave, you should be ok. Summer (from Highland heading East to the highway) has a lot of small specialty shops, ethnic restaurants and food trucks, and some good discount stores (Dollar Tree, Fred's, Bargain Hunt, etc), and many practical stores like pharmacies, storage facilities, auto parts stores, etc., as well as an Aldi and a Kroger. We don't go West of Highland & Summer, since things get sketchy until you reach Mid-Town/Parkway (Summer doesn't really have anything for shopping over the bridge anyhow), and anything East of the highway is more towards Bartlett, and great area to shop, and a great library, too. We consider our area West Bartlett, since we rarely head South towards Macon, and most of the gunshots we hear are from the South, and from the West. Berclair is either a great family street, or it is a street home to a meth-lab (literally one street over from us). Each street is different - it's weird. We really like our street, but it's just blocks away from an intersection where I got held up at gunpoint, so it's literally on a street-by-street basis. I have heard that the area on the South side of Macon is also nice, but again, closer to the East End/Highway/40. PS - I've lived here since 2013, so I only know the more recent events of the area.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,994 times
Well, if you can buy in a safe neighborhood in Memphis for 70k, then sign me up. I have heard that Berclair represents one of the best values in Memphis. I haven't spent a ton of time riding around the neighborhood, though; just mostly the main roads (Macon Road, Statford Road, N White Station Road).

Old 09-27-2016, 12:27 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, if you can buy in a safe neighborhood in Memphis for 70k, then sign me up. I have heard that Berclair represents one of the best values in Memphis. I haven't spent a ton of time riding around the neighborhood, though; just mostly the main roads (Macon Road, Statford Road, N White Station Road).
I would agree that Berclair is a deal as long as you stay South of Macon and East of Graham. Not luxurious by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd rather live there than just about any other neighborhood with comparable home values. Key considerations at that price point are things that people who can afford more often take for granted such as safety and availability of nearby groceries. FWIW, I also find Summer/N.Parkway to be a quicker, less trafficked route downtown than Union or Poplar, even if the stretch between Highland and E. Parkway isn't so pretty.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:52 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
The factor in both eastern Berclair and Sea Isle is proximity to Binghampton/North Memphis area and Orange Mound (respectively). I think I'd rather live somewhat close to Orange Mound rather than North Memphis, so I agree with Cristen's post. But, there could be mitigating factors, like work location or school considerations. I think Grahamwood has an optional program, but not exactly sure what Sea Isle feeds into. White Station Elementary?

Old 09-27-2016, 03:50 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The factor in both eastern Berclair and Sea Isle is proximity to Binghampton/North Memphis area and Orange Mound (respectively). I think I'd rather live somewhat close to Orange Mound rather than North Memphis, so I agree with Cristen's post. But, there could be mitigating factors, like work location or school considerations. I think Grahamwood has an optional program, but not exactly sure what Sea Isle feeds into. White Station Elementary?
Sea Isle Elementary is on Sea Isle Dr, just east of White Station. It's not as good as Grahamwood Optional, but it's not terrible either. It is certainly better than Berclair Elementary. In general, Sea Isle is a nicer neighborhood than Berclair, and more expensive too. Homes frequently go for $100-150k in Sea Isle, which is much less common thing in Berclair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: