Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:22 PM

247 posts, read 334,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
This rivalry has been around as long as I can remember. In 1993 I was living in Meridian, MS and was transferring (with my job) to either Memphis or Nashville (I had the choice). I had a group of established friends (since I went to High School about an hour from Nashville) that already lived in Nashville...so I chose here. My coworkers in Memphis thought I was crazy and made many derogatory references to Nashville. But....you live in the city that you live in and you are hopefully proud of whatever that city is. Memphis and Nashville are completely different cities with different development paths and different things to offer. I think we would ALL be a lot better off if we appreciated the differences and quit trying to tear each other down every chance we get. I want the entire state to be prosperous.
The views of people in Memphis in 1993 do not represent the views of those living there today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 12:27 PM

569 posts, read 1,420,950 times
abc....I know what you are trying to say. BUT....I can't speak for every person in Nashville, just as you can't speak for every person in Memphis. And...it doesn't really matter either. The point I was trying to make is....we would ALL be better off if we would quit trying to tear each others city down.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
abc....I know what you are trying to say. BUT....I can't speak for every person in Nashville, just as you can't speak for every person in Memphis. And...it doesn't really matter either. The point I was trying to make is....we would ALL be better off if we would quit trying to tear each others city down.
We can all agree with that. But I lived in both cities, and actually have a much greater sample pool for people in Memphis, and disdain for Nashville is very rare. I had a much shorter time and smaller sample size in Nashville, and I'd say disdain for Memphis was the norm.

The fact that the OP is basically attempting to troll Memphians, and nobody is bothered by it should give you the impression that people don't have that attitude towards Nashville these days.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:22 PM

569 posts, read 1,420,950 times
And so it goes.....this rivalry will probably continue. Look, I'm not telling you you haven't had the experiences you've had....but what I am saying is....I've lived here since 1994 and in MY circle of friends, Memphis has rarely come up in conversation. I'll just agree to disagree with you.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:56 PM

345 posts, read 527,600 times
There should be disdain against Memphis. It could be where Atlanta is right now if not for a bunch of preventable reasons. They're trying hard to reverse that, but they got a long way to go. There's one main reason why Nashville is prosperous and Memphis is declining/stagnant. It's already been said before, but y'all should know...

Memphis is a great city tho. Wouldn't live there, but glad to have it in our state.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:51 PM

35 posts, read 29,443 times
If either city were located in another state how would they compare? They are far enough apart that I don’t think a rivalry is natural. They are independent cities doing their own thing.

I just returned from a vacation in TN. Spent four nights in Memphis and four nights in Nashville. I wish I would have stayed longer in Memphis. I loved Memphis. The city just has a nice feel. People are nice, the city is uncrowded and there is so much to do. Nashville is spread out with the accompanying traffic. I did not like it at all. Not walkable. Felt that wannabes were judging me which is just silly.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamushy View Post
If either city were located in another state how would they compare? They are far enough apart that I don’t think a rivalry is natural. They are independent cities doing their own thing.

I just returned from a vacation in TN. Spent four nights in Memphis and four nights in Nashville. I wish I would have stayed longer in Memphis. I loved Memphis. The city just has a nice feel. People are nice, the city is uncrowded and there is so much to do. Nashville is spread out with the accompanying traffic. I did not like it at all. Not walkable. Felt that wannabes were judging me which is just silly.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Memphis. I'm certainly glad to be back, having just moved from Nashville. It certainly feels under the radar, because as you said, there is a ton to do, without the traffic and crowds to keep you from enjoying most things. I didn't really care for many of the amenities in Nashville enough to deal with the crowds, nor the traffic or frustrating interstate system.

I get the wannabes thing you're referring to. While I'm sure there there are some down to earth people there, there seems to be a lot more social pressure to dress well, drive nicer vehicles, fit in certain social circles, etc. It didn't really suit me, and I preferred Memphis, which is much more laid back.

I prefer the more classically urban downtown of Memphis to that of Nashville, and while there is a lot of infill going on there, it won't be able to match the character nor potential that downtown Memphis has IMO (which is finally being realized).

Old 11-22-2016, 01:57 PM

7,511 posts, read 17,144,846 times
Quote:
I prefer the more classically urban downtown of Memphis to that of Nashville, and while there is a lot of infill going on there, it won't be able to match the character nor potential that downtown Memphis has IMO (which is finally being realized).
I agree with this 100%. Nashville has a ton of growth and much of it is giant-scale that deadens the value of the street (e.g., the convention center). While I believe Nashville regularly attracts many more people into its downtown than Memphis, the urban village potential of Memphis is unsurpassed in Tennessee. A finely grained street network combined with a historic catalog of buildings that contribute directly to the interaction and intersection between building/use and street/public space (e.g., South Main, Madison Avenue, Court Square, even Beale Street, and up-and-coming areas like Front Street and the Pinch) creates a scalable architecture for Memphis that Nashville doesn't have. This isn't me playing favorites -- cities that grew during this historical era that combined traditional urban development with streetcar-level transit possibilities are just laid out in ways that are very fortunate moving forward. Louisville is another great example.

Memphis still has tons of room to grow, and I take a very long view when considering its possibilities. All cities have growth cycles and Memphis' cycle right now is about reinvestment, redefinition and civic engagement. I believe this will poise the city for another, different cycle of growth sometime in the next 30-50 years which will see successive waves of investment in Uptown along North Parkway, along Danny Thomas, and along Crump. This growth will help Memphis re-stitch its urban fabric and connect the thriving downtown to other key growth areas such as Crosstown, Midtown, and the Edge/Medical district.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:07 AM

9,648 posts, read 9,271,782 times
Yes

Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 AM

31 posts, read 43,502 times
Do you guys believe Nashville has surpassed Memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis