U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,535,300 times

Advertisements

If you're ok with a half hour commute, Arlington is worth a look also. It's a newer area than Gtown and Collierville, where even with your healthy budget, an estate lot and a newish house will be very difficult to find.
11925 Brom Cv, Arlington, TN 38002 - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM

46 posts, read 30,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Unincorporated simply means that the property isn't within any city limits...so you only pay county property tax, and no city tax.
Piperton is just across the Fayette/Shelby County line from Collierville. The negative there is that the public schools aren't great - but that's not an issue for people with no kids, no plans for them - or those who put their kids into private schools anyway. The positive is that property taxes are lower than Shelby County.
Thanks Joe. Kids are grown and out on there own. Clearly understand the consequences of moving to where the schools are not great in an unincorporated area. Trying to figure out if there is really a big difference by adding in city tax.... in comparison to what I am paying now. Any thoughts on the best builders in that area.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM

10,921 posts, read 29,479,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
The issue with unincorporated land is that it can possibly be later incorporated into the nearest city. That has been the downfall of some areas around Memphis that were unincorporated and later taken over by the city of Memphis. Whether land being incorporated into Eads or Piperton would be good or bad - I don't know. Not sure if something like that would even be a possibility, but that is something a good realtor should be able to help you with.
That's not the case anymore, sort of. The state legislature passed a law a couple of years ago stating that a municipality can no longer annex an area unless the people who live in that area vote to allow it. I think it is highly unlikely that Memphis will be able to annex large swaths of neighborhoods like they used to.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 01-13-2017, 06:34 AM

46 posts, read 30,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That's not the case anymore, sort of. The state legislature passed a law a couple of years ago stating that a municipality can no longer annex an area unless the people who live in that area vote to allow it. I think it is highly unlikely that Memphis will be able to annex large swaths of neighborhoods like they used to.
Thanks..... gotta PM from someone pretty much stating the same thing and not to worry about it anytime in the future.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:15 AM

731 posts, read 1,344,366 times
The Zillow things are totally incorrect. Do not go by that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue8 View Post
Thanks for the info. Relocation service will set me up with a realtor shortly. Really want to stay on the good side of this tax situation. The taxes posted on realtor or zillow..... are they inclusive of both city and county taxes? We would also be satisfied with anything north of 1 acre... more the merrier.

Any new developments in those areas?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM

731 posts, read 1,344,366 times
If you look up on address on Crye Leike's website, they list the accurate taxes for every property for sale. So for instance, the house on Brom that someone above suggested.... go to their website, click on "By street" under the search box, then type in Brom as the street. Then "West TN" as the area, and just that one house will pop up, 11925 Brom. Under "Additional Info" down the page, it lists the Annual City Tax as 0 and Annual County Tax as $3284. That's because, I assume, it is unincorporated and not a part of any city. The Crye Leike website is really good for complete information, although they don't always list all homes - so be sure to check Realtor.com too. Some companies here refuse to put their listings on Zillow, so only use Zillow as a cross reference.

Real Estate and Homes for Sale | Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Arkansas, Mississippi, Little Rock | Crye-Leike

Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 AM

200 posts, read 139,117 times
This should help you calculate how much in taxes you would pay for a property at its appraised value in Shelby County and its municipalities.

https://www.assessor.shelby.tn.us/Calculate.aspx

Old 01-13-2017, 05:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,472,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Memphis is actually trying to de-annex.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:55 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,968,998 times
I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't move anywhere too far from Memphis. I was at a hotel one day sitting close to a woman who was moving from the Memphis area. She was talking about how much she hated living there. I asked her where she lived, and it turned out that they lived near Whiteville- 20-30 miles outside the city limits, and her husband worked in Memphis. They had moved there to get a lot of land. I really wanted to tell her that she couldn't complain about living in Memphis because she had never lived in Memphis, she lived in rural West TN.
Incidentally, she had moved from Dallas.

I shared that story to say, don't move way outside the city/suburb area to get land. You may end up really unhappy with your experience. And then you may be complaining like the lady in my story even though you never really lived in Memphis.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,535,300 times
Yes^^^^^
Memphis is a much smaller metro than Dallas. Once you get out of Shelby County and a some of DeSoto, you are in legit rural areas, with all that comes with that. Memphis has also seen a lot less growth since 2000 than most metros in the South. For that reason, there are fewer large parcels and fewer newer homes. We are a fairly dense town by Southern standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis