U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,284 times
Reputation: 15
Default Collierville Homeschool

There are many, many homeschool families all over memphis. We would love to get to know you! I am a science teacher at a co-op that meets in collierville. We are called the collierville connection and provide homeschool classes for middle and high school students. If you are interested our school website is Home Page

my class website is
Mrs. Johnson's Middle School Science Classes - Home (http://middleschoolscienceclass.weebly.com - broken link)

a support group for collierville homeschool families can be found at ColliervilleHomeSchool.com - Home

Also, Central Church has a homeschool support group.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Collierville, TN
734 posts, read 1,464,087 times
Reputation: 301
Yes, very strong, if you would like, PM me, I have a contact name/email for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,383 times
Reputation: 10
I live in Cordova; I taught in the MCS for 3 years. I was a homeschool mom in Lithonia, GA. It seems, I will be homeschooling my 7 year old son. The public school system in this area is getting worst and worst every year. I received 3 phone calls in 2 days asking me, "Can I get a school system going for our students?" My oldest graduated this year with a 3.4 and a 22 on the ACT. I believe he could have done better if the peer pressure in the public school system wasn't so overwhelming.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
 
1,010 posts, read 2,585,242 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordovaMom01 View Post
I live in Cordova; I taught in the MCS for 3 years. I was a homeschool mom in Lithonia, GA. It seems, I will be homeschooling my 7 year old son. The public school system in this area is getting worst and worst every year. I received 3 phone calls in 2 days asking me, "Can I get a school system going for our students?" My oldest graduated this year with a 3.4 and a 22 on the ACT. I believe he could have done better if the peer pressure in the public school system wasn't so overwhelming.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Collierville, TN
734 posts, read 1,464,087 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordovaMom01 View Post
....The public school system in this area is getting worst and worst every year.
I hope you have a good homeschool co-op for teaching your kids english.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
 
232 posts, read 603,415 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
I hope you have a good homeschool co-op for teaching your kids english.
English.....capital 'E'
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
506 posts, read 470,912 times
Reputation: 242
Seriously though Collierville is one of the best places in the entire area for schools. Maybe give them a chance first. I doubt there would be any "peer pressure" against academic success at Cville schools like you might find in Cordova or other MCS schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
 
3 posts, read 10,914 times
Reputation: 11
Default Collierville schools have peer pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Seriously though Collierville is one of the best places in the entire area for schools. Maybe give them a chance first. I doubt there would be any "peer pressure" against academic success at Cville schools like you might find in Cordova or other MCS schools.
I disagree. My children had been homeschooled and I put them into middle school and found the peer pressure there to be terrible. The children were made fun of for answering questions, or answering them completely, when the teacher would ask questions. They were made fun of when they made good grades on tests. We did not find this peer pressure against academic success to be as bad once we moved them to Rossville Christian Academy. But I think homeschool is still the best for their academic success.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: TN
1,009 posts, read 1,089,077 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmoore View Post
I disagree. My children had been homeschooled and I put them into middle school and found the peer pressure there to be terrible. The children were made fun of for answering questions, or answering them completely, when the teacher would ask questions. They were made fun of when they made good grades on tests. We did not find this peer pressure against academic success to be as bad once we moved them to Rossville Christian Academy. But I think homeschool is still the best for their academic success.
That happens at every school, not just in Collierville. Every school I attended had students that were labeled "Nerds" and jeered just because they made good grades. You can't put hundreds/thousands of kids together and not expect some to be made fun of. There are labels for several different groups in school. I was part of the "apathetic, turn everything in a day late" group, and I wish I could go back and smack myself.

A student just needs to find the other students that they identify with, and they will be just fine. If your teen doesn't connect with other kids, maybe you should enroll them in some extracurricular activities that will force them to interact with others and learn social skills.

Last edited by Geneyus; 01-18-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Collierville, TN
734 posts, read 1,464,087 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
That happens at every school, not just in Collierville. Every school I attended had students that were labeled "Nerds" and jeered just because they made good grades. You can't put hundreds/thousands of kids together and not expect some to be made fun of. There are labels for several different groups in school. I was part of the "apathetic, turn everything in a day late" group, and I wish I could go back and smack myself.

A student just needs to find the other students that they identify with, and they will be just fine. If your teen doesn't connect with other kids, maybe you should enroll them in some extracurricular activities that will force them to interact with others and learn social skills.
True! I keep telling my nerdy kids to remember that all these bullies will be working for them one day.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top