U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,427 times

Advertisements

There are many, many homeschool families all over memphis. We would love to get to know you! I am a science teacher at a co-op that meets in collierville. We are called the collierville connection and provide homeschool classes for middle and high school students. If you are interested our school website is Home Page

my class website is
Mrs. Johnson's Middle School Science Classes - Home (http://middleschoolscienceclass.weebly.com - broken link)

a support group for collierville homeschool families can be found at ColliervilleHomeSchool.com - Home

Also, Central Church has a homeschool support group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 PM

735 posts, read 1,495,711 times
Yes, very strong, if you would like, PM me, I have a contact name/email for you.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times
I live in Cordova; I taught in the MCS for 3 years. I was a homeschool mom in Lithonia, GA. It seems, I will be homeschooling my 7 year old son. The public school system in this area is getting worst and worst every year. I received 3 phone calls in 2 days asking me, "Can I get a school system going for our students?" My oldest graduated this year with a 3.4 and a 22 on the ACT. I believe he could have done better if the peer pressure in the public school system wasn't so overwhelming.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,633,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordovaMom01 View Post
I live in Cordova; I taught in the MCS for 3 years. I was a homeschool mom in Lithonia, GA. It seems, I will be homeschooling my 7 year old son. The public school system in this area is getting worst and worst every year. I received 3 phone calls in 2 days asking me, "Can I get a school system going for our students?" My oldest graduated this year with a 3.4 and a 22 on the ACT. I believe he could have done better if the peer pressure in the public school system wasn't so overwhelming.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordovaMom01 View Post
....The public school system in this area is getting worst and worst every year.
I hope you have a good homeschool co-op for teaching your kids english.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 PM

232 posts, read 613,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
I hope you have a good homeschool co-op for teaching your kids english.
English.....capital 'E'

Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 AM

506 posts, read 487,079 times
Seriously though Collierville is one of the best places in the entire area for schools. Maybe give them a chance first. I doubt there would be any "peer pressure" against academic success at Cville schools like you might find in Cordova or other MCS schools.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 11,055 times
Default Collierville schools have peer pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Seriously though Collierville is one of the best places in the entire area for schools. Maybe give them a chance first. I doubt there would be any "peer pressure" against academic success at Cville schools like you might find in Cordova or other MCS schools.
I disagree. My children had been homeschooled and I put them into middle school and found the peer pressure there to be terrible. The children were made fun of for answering questions, or answering them completely, when the teacher would ask questions. They were made fun of when they made good grades on tests. We did not find this peer pressure against academic success to be as bad once we moved them to Rossville Christian Academy. But I think homeschool is still the best for their academic success.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,145,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmoore View Post
I disagree. My children had been homeschooled and I put them into middle school and found the peer pressure there to be terrible. The children were made fun of for answering questions, or answering them completely, when the teacher would ask questions. They were made fun of when they made good grades on tests. We did not find this peer pressure against academic success to be as bad once we moved them to Rossville Christian Academy. But I think homeschool is still the best for their academic success.
That happens at every school, not just in Collierville. Every school I attended had students that were labeled "Nerds" and jeered just because they made good grades. You can't put hundreds/thousands of kids together and not expect some to be made fun of. There are labels for several different groups in school. I was part of the "apathetic, turn everything in a day late" group, and I wish I could go back and smack myself.

A student just needs to find the other students that they identify with, and they will be just fine. If your teen doesn't connect with other kids, maybe you should enroll them in some extracurricular activities that will force them to interact with others and learn social skills.

Last edited by Geneyus; 01-18-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
That happens at every school, not just in Collierville. Every school I attended had students that were labeled "Nerds" and jeered just because they made good grades. You can't put hundreds/thousands of kids together and not expect some to be made fun of. There are labels for several different groups in school. I was part of the "apathetic, turn everything in a day late" group, and I wish I could go back and smack myself.

A student just needs to find the other students that they identify with, and they will be just fine. If your teen doesn't connect with other kids, maybe you should enroll them in some extracurricular activities that will force them to interact with others and learn social skills.
True! I keep telling my nerdy kids to remember that all these bullies will be working for them one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis