Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

This could be a game changer for Memphis, if they went after, and landed Amazon's 2nd HQ.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/t...h-america.html

With FedEx already here, and Memphis situated geographically well as a mid-point to the south east, midwest, and south central US, it has that going for it.

However, the competition will be fierce, so Memphis would have to go way above and way beyond to get them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Mayor Strickland has stated that the city will pursue them.

It'll be interesting to see how the state ED office handles this since both Memphis and Nashville are going after this.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Mayor Strickland has stated that the city will pursue them.

It'll be interesting to see how the state ED office handles this since both Memphis and Nashville are going after this.
Yeah, any city that meets Amazon's criteria would be CRAZY not to submit a bid. This is a game-changer for any metro region...huge huge potential.

Memphis may be a long shot, but hey, you won't have a chance at all if you don't enter in.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Bezos is an aggressive tax avoider. The lack of an income tax in TN is another point in our favor. Hoping for this feels like dreaming about winning the lottery, but it's fun to dream.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 PM

800 posts, read 950,505 times
Amazon is already building the Prime Air Hub at CVG, the airport 12 miles southwest of Cincinnati, OH in Boone County, KY. That is where DHL's international hub has been for over 15 years and currently Amazon is sharing the building by operating during the day (DHL employs 900+ sorters for its grueling overnight shift).

It is anticipated that in ten years the Prime Air Hub will eclipse the combined FedEx and UPS hubs in Louisville and Memphis. So perhaps Amazon picks Memphis or Louisville, but if it does so, it won't be because of that existing infrastructure. Only a few see Cincinnati as a contender, even though it has Amazon's actual air hub.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Amazon is already building the Prime Air Hub at CVG, the airport 12 miles southwest of Cincinnati, OH in Boone County, KY. That is where DHL's international hub has been for over 15 years and currently Amazon is sharing the building by operating during the day (DHL employs 900+ sorters for its grueling overnight shift).

It is anticipated that in ten years the Prime Air Hub will eclipse the combined FedEx and UPS hubs in Louisville and Memphis. So perhaps Amazon picks Memphis or Louisville, but if it does so, it won't be because of that existing infrastructure. Only a few see Cincinnati as a contender, even though it has Amazon's actual air hub.
Haven't thought of Cincinnati as a contender--but that could be the case. I think Amazon already knows where it will go, it is releasing this RFP as "going through the proper motions" procedure.

If I had to say "top 3 strongest cities," I'd put money on Boston, Minneapolis, or Atlanta.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Haven't thought of Cincinnati as a contender--but that could be the case. I think Amazon already knows where it will go, it is releasing this RFP as "going through the proper motions" procedure.

If I had to say "top 3 strongest cities," I'd put money on Boston, Minneapolis, or Atlanta.
I'd describe it more as a shakedown for "incentives."

Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 PM

35 posts, read 29,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
I'd describe it more as a shakedown for "incentives."
I agree. I think Amazon is trying to shake down Austin. With the purchase of Whole Foods Amazon needs to move people down there.

It would be great for the city if Amazon did choose Memphis, but then again maybe not.

Be careful what you wish for https://www.geekwire.com/2017/carefu...iant-city/amp/

Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM

91 posts, read 136,569 times
Memphis has the best logistics location geographically, is the #1 low cost of living city in the US for major cities, no state income tax, a work force that is already trained in logistics, plenty of space to build more warehouses, and has a Mayor & other city professionals that are willing to do what it takes to get them in Memphis! They are a Strong Contender for Amazon!

Old 10-08-2017, 03:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Everyone thinks their city is a strong contender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: